Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Why do people list their trailers GVWR? Do people really tow at their trailers max? I don't. I had an 11,400 5er that loaded up weighed 9200-9300 lbs. Why would I want to mislead anyone?

Yes. No big deal for me My situation 2012 Passport 3220 BHWE. 6280 Dry. 7500 Gross.

I weighed it twice this summer for 5 day trips. Once with my 2002 2500HD once with the 2017 3500HD

3500lbs Dexter axles, empty tanks, two batteries, 2 propane tanks. We travel pretty light compared to everyone else we camp with.

Front axle was 3480 rear axle was 3520. 7000lbs You figure 800ish on the hitch. I am a little over. The axles are right at capacity.

I have been like that since 2012, probably heavier in the past as we got rid of some stuff we never use. I went with load range D tires this last time vice the load range C it came with. It did make a difference in sidewall bulge and how the trailer handled over bumps.

* This post was edited 10/25/19 07:37pm by ls1mike *

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Or a better question, why do people obsess over a few hundred or even, say 1000 lbs? If a person has done much towing, they'd realize that towing safety includes many different factors, only 1 of which is the weight of the trailer. And trailer weight (within reason) may be a ways down on the list of important considerations depending on the trailer and the rig.
Like I have pulled around 15klbs many times behind 1/2 ton trucks, but it's low profile loads and the ability to adjust the load to get an acceptable tongue weight. BUT, I'd not even consider towing a 7 ton 5ver or toyhauler behind the same truck. Jus cuz it weighs the same don't mean it's even close to the same.
Nother example, ultralight, lightly loaded big TC, say 30' long and 6000lbs, not too practical but possible. A JGC or Durango is "rated" to tow more, but that trailer could horsewhip a short lighter vehicle like that pretty easily, especially in the hands of the inexperienced, but it would be far more comfortable towing it with an ext cab long bed 1/2 ton that may not have any more rated capacity, maybe less even.
So to err on the side of caution, the bigger the tow vehicle, the better, but it doesn't mean smaller is unacceptable in all cases.

I totally agree. I am fine with 7800lbs for the trailer. Most half tons can pull it no problem. Most gassers not a problem.
It is the length. That is why I have the 4 door long bed truck. Loaded for camping it is heavier than the trailer. The trailer doesn't push it around at all. My hitch really helps too.

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Why do people list their trailers GVWR? Do people really tow at their trailers max? I don't. I had an 11,400 5er that loaded up weighed 9200-9300 lbs. Why would I want to mislead anyone?

Or a better question, why do people obsess over a few hundred or even, say 1000 lbs? If a person has done much towing, they'd realize that towing safety includes many different factors, only 1 of which is the weight of the trailer. And trailer weight (within reason) may be a ways down on the list of important considerations depending on the trailer and the rig.
Like I have pulled around 15klbs many times behind 1/2 ton trucks, but it's low profile loads and the ability to adjust the load to get an acceptable tongue weight. BUT, I'd not even consider towing a 7 ton 5ver or toyhauler behind the same truck. Jus cuz it weighs the same don't mean it's even close to the same.
Nother example, ultralight, lightly loaded big TC, say 30' long and 6000lbs, not too practical but possible. A JGC or Durango is "rated" to tow more, but that trailer could horsewhip a short lighter vehicle like that pretty easily, especially in the hands of the inexperienced, but it would be far more comfortable towing it with an ext cab long bed 1/2 ton that may not have any more rated capacity, maybe less even.
So to err on the side of caution, the bigger the tow vehicle, the better, but it doesn't mean smaller is unacceptable in all cases.

I think I brought this up on page 1or2 that not all trailers of the same weight are created equal yet we have 9 pages of garbage. This why I highly recommend people don’t take advice from this or any Internet forum, educate yourself on the facts.

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I know there will be people who come back and disagree but when you get 10-15yrs out, don't count on getting a $10k premium on resale for a diesel.

Last couple times we were shopping, there was little if any premium at that price point.

Heck, even NADA puts the diesel at $7500 more apples to apples and the real world prices support this.

Yeah, because NADA is realistic.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Here is my total cost analysis based on a Ram. It will be different for you depending on many things such as PM intervals/cost between the two, fuel prices in your region, interest rates, re-sale values and so on.

[image]
Interesting, you don’t have insurance, cost of money, and you have a unrealistic interest rate. That’s just from a 3 second glance at it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I know there will be people who come back and disagree but when you get 10-15yrs out, don't count on getting a $10k premium on resale for a diesel.

Last couple times we were shopping, there was little if any premium at that price point.

Heck, even NADA puts the diesel at $7500 more apples to apples and the real world prices support this.

Yeah, because NADA is realistic.

You’re right, not always, heck sometimes NADA is understated. For example our 07 Dodge would fetch more tomorrow than nada, in a heartbeat.
Keep paying too much for your gassers if that’s what you believe.....or tell me where I can buy diesels for “little, if any premium”, because I want to buy all they have and make some MONEY!
Valhalla, you’re putting up one of those sky isn’t blue arguments here buddy.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple. 3/4 ton unless you want a one ton.

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep I've been doing it all wrong for the past 50000 miles with a half ton towing a 7200lb trailer [emoticon]

You guys crack me up lol...

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double Post

* This post was edited 10/28/19 08:01am by ShinerBock *

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Here is my total cost analysis based on a Ram. It will be different for you depending on many things such as PM intervals/cost between the two, fuel prices in your region, interest rates, re-sale values and so on.

[image]
Interesting, you don’t have insurance, cost of money, and you have a unrealistic interest rate. That’s just from a 3 second glance at it.

The cost of money is on another chart, however, it had less than a $100 impact since the differences were so close especially for those that finance the loan. You are correct that I don't have insurance. You can call and get a quote on insurance if you want and add a post about it. The insurance on my truck is less than $40 a month and I doubt the gas version will that much less to make a significant impact.

As far as interest rate, that is the interest rate I got on both my truck and BMW. I made this chart for me, not anyone else so I really didn't concern myself with other peoples interest rates or fuel costs. Although, since my truck is not necessarily stock, it does get 2 mpg more than the fuelly mpg I have in the chart.

* This post was edited 10/28/19 08:02am by ShinerBock *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.