cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Cat

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last May, a nice 8-9 month old cat showed up at my porch. After two days, he moved inside. He is now a much beloved camping cat of the highest order. The Cat is brave, athletic, adventuresome, social. He is great in the car & trailer and in the motorhome. He walks on a leash happily and loves to walk around the campground. He never even noticed when I put a harness on him. Up until today, he has never shown any strong negative emotions about anything.

Well, the past two days I have been hearing another cat outside. Very big voice and very unhappy cat. Last night I went in search of him. Finally found him hiding under the SUV hood above the tire well.

This guy is a BABY! His eyes are still changing color. He has a vet appt today to get checked out. He has a sore paw that needs looking at also.

He's a brown tabby. Once inside, he purred and purred. His normal voice is not so loud, but he is very vocal. He has been sleeping at my side for hours. At first he was hiding if I came up to him, but today he is coming over to me.

I suspect he is related to The Cat. He exudes the same sureness and is quick to adjust to new things. He spent the night in a carrier with two large dogs nearby. I expect him to be a great camping cat also.

The Bug does not approve of him living here. He is very mad at me about this (even though he has been told if I couldn't leave an 8 month outisde, I certainly couldn't leave a baby outside). The Cat says this little guy needs to find his own camping home.

If anyone is looking for a camping/RVing cat and is in, or will be visiting, the Northern California area please send me a PM. He will get a full vet exam today along with de-fleaing. His paw is sore to the touch, but not mutiliated, so it is hopefully just a small burn or cut. He is skinny but is eating well.

All I want is a good home for him where he can be loved and worshipped as a proper Cat should. He will be up to date on shots. Neutering won't be until he puts on some weight and gets a healthy rating by the vet.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
27 REPLIES 27

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, The Cat decided that over a week ago. They are inseparable. They call for each other. They sleep together. They play together. And The Cat uses TCIT as leverage to get me to feed him early. And TCIT watches everything The Cat does and learns how to do it too.

I've been played.

Their next trip is Death Valley. They are eager to see the giant litter box called sand dunes... ๐Ÿ™‚

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Great job! Are you sure that TCIT isn't already in his forever home? Bug seems to be okay with him now.

I look forward to their adventures.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. I would NEVER let them outside without a harness and leash.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So glad you harness your cats. I still see too many being let out at campgrounds and I worry about their safety.

Kudos to you for teaching this wee one early.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So The Cat and The Cat in Training are best of friends now...

Today, a friend and I took the two dogs, two parrots, and two cats to the local wildlife refuge for a day trip. It was The Cat in Training's first outdoor trip (other than around the yard at home).

The Cat walked on his leash with the dogs for the entire interpretive trail. TCIT thought he could, but as soon as he got on the ground he realized he was just a 10 week old kitten and it's a big world. So he rode on top of the bird backpack (which I wear as a frontpack). At the viewing platform, he got down and explored a bit with his brother. After visiting with some other folks there, they kicked back and relaxed for a bit.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
TCIT says he's a camping cat through and through!

He went out on the porch in his harness and leash today. At first he was a bit worried, but after I explained that he isn't a homeless cat when he's wearing his harness and leash, and The Cat showed him how to do it, he took to it like a Fishing Cat to water.

Then we went into the trailer to hang. He found it quite comfy.

He was even able to lay with The Cat for a moment!

The first photo shows him in his "spare" harness. Basic bright green with matching 4ft leash. The second photo shows him in his Monarch harness (because he's royal... The Cat has a Bug harness and leash because his name is Bug). The monarch harness is a tad too big yet, so he'll use the spare for the time being. The monarch and bug harnesses and leashes are from yellow dog design. The leashes are 5ft long. The harnesses are the Roman H harnesses. There are tons of patterns and sizes (even dogs). TCIT's gear will go with him to his new home.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty! She looks quite content on her chair...

The Cat in Training or TCIT (his temporary screen name) is coming along great. He watched the latest Nature episode and saw the lioness take down a massive meal with a bad paw and ever since he not limped. Coincidence or ?? ๐Ÿ™‚

The Cat is currently using him to get his breakfast early. The Cat doesn't like waiting till 7 am. So now he sits in front of the carrier until TCIT wakes up and starts fussing. Then The Cat sits back and lets TCIT bother the dogs until I send them out and fix cat breakfasts. He knows TCIT is too small to be safe bothering the dogs, so I'll have to stop it.

Today they are going out to the trailer to help me do some prep work for the next trip.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My Zia..

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonight he watched the first 30 minutes of Super Cats episode 1 on Nature. He was very intrigued with the Rust Spotted Cat. That wild cat is just his size.

He loved the cheetah but found the snow leopard's life to be too lonely for him. And he thought that catching a penguin like the pumas in Patagonia was quite a coup.

He just laid at my side watching the show. Adorable.

And when he walks up to you, he immediately rolls on his back and vocally demands a tummy rub.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure I can offer much help. Amazingly, both of these cats just let me put it on and that was it.

I tried with my prior cat and he refused to accept it. He was more hyperactive and neurotic than these guys. I think starting off with a cat who will sit on your lap like a child is the key. Butt on your lap, back legs sticking out front and their back to your stomach. That makes a lot of things easier - putting on the harness, clipping nails, etc. My prior cat would freak in that position. These guys are happy to sit like that.

Then it's just putting it on them and seeing how they react. If they have no reaction, then you're good to go. If they bother at the harness, then start with short practices and distract them with food or toys or tummy rubs while they wear it.

With the leash, the easiest is if they know their name and answer to it (as much as a cat will). Let them lead the walk, but if they are headed towards a bad place, just stop and hold the leash taut. Then call them and give a slight short pull in your direction. Be very relaxed and gentle. And make sure to give them rubs and such while they are on leash, but don't interfere with them exploring safely.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome cats! I may be asking you for advice on how to harness train a cat. My son will be moving out and will most likely get a cat. He'd love a dog but he and his gf (hopefully fiance soon!) work nutty schedules so a cat is better suited for them and they want to be able to walk it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
What a sweet boy!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
He says "can do!" to the harness!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is his uncle (whom he is striving to be like):