Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Camping Cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Camping Cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He got his check up. Leuk negative. Deflead, dewormed. 1st shot. Ears cleaned. Paw appears to have a chemical burn on the big pad only. Got an antibiotic shot to help it heal. Vet estimates between 7 and 8 weeks old.

On the way, he watched everything out the windows without fear. He wanted to explore the inside of the car. When we got there, he explored the exam room completely. He will try to back away when you reach for him, but once near you he loves you. When the vet came in, he was laying on the table getting his belly rubbed. All the staff held him with no issue.

He let them do everything, including cleaning his ears, with no issue. Dogs went past him and he just looked at them. No fear other than that very mild nervousness when you reach for him.

He is now sleeping at home with The Cat's spare harness on. He let me put it on with no complaint. It's on the smallest setting.

His doctor says he has "REAL promise". The front staff loved him. They didn't give him back until the very last second possible. He slept all the way home.

He's definitely doing everything possible to emulate The Cat's extraordinary personality. Which puts him right in line to being a great camping cat!

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has been a rash of abandoned kittens in the neighborhood. Someone is dumping them as soon as they are weaned.

BIL lives in a somewhat rural area in MA with a big horse barn. He gets cats and kittens dumped regularly. Very cruel. Sounds like you got a winner. You need to post a pic so we can try to help you name him. The Cat #2 just doesn't cut it! LOL!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He has a temporary name as of last night: Harry (because he was screaming like Henry II in Lion in Winter). He actually turned and walked towards me at thevet's when I used it. The Cat came to me the first time I said his name.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here he is relaxing this morning.

[image]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is his uncle (whom he is striving to be like):

[image]

[image]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He says "can do!" to the harness!
[image]

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a sweet boy!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome cats! I may be asking you for advice on how to harness train a cat. My son will be moving out and will most likely get a cat. He'd love a dog but he and his gf (hopefully fiance soon!) work nutty schedules so a cat is better suited for them and they want to be able to walk it.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I can offer much help. Amazingly, both of these cats just let me put it on and that was it.

I tried with my prior cat and he refused to accept it. He was more hyperactive and neurotic than these guys. I think starting off with a cat who will sit on your lap like a child is the key. Butt on your lap, back legs sticking out front and their back to your stomach. That makes a lot of things easier - putting on the harness, clipping nails, etc. My prior cat would freak in that position. These guys are happy to sit like that.

Then it's just putting it on them and seeing how they react. If they have no reaction, then you're good to go. If they bother at the harness, then start with short practices and distract them with food or toys or tummy rubs while they wear it.

With the leash, the easiest is if they know their name and answer to it (as much as a cat will). Let them lead the walk, but if they are headed towards a bad place, just stop and hold the leash taut. Then call them and give a slight short pull in your direction. Be very relaxed and gentle. And make sure to give them rubs and such while they are on leash, but don't interfere with them exploring safely.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tonight he watched the first 30 minutes of Super Cats episode 1 on Nature. He was very intrigued with the Rust Spotted Cat. That wild cat is just his size.

He loved the cheetah but found the snow leopard's life to be too lonely for him. And he thought that catching a penguin like the pumas in Patagonia was quite a coup.

He just laid at my side watching the show. Adorable.

And when he walks up to you, he immediately rolls on his back and vocally demands a tummy rub.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Camping Cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS