Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carport

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody use one?
Thinking of the inexpensive steel/corrugated roof structures found all over the inter web.

If so, where do you live?
Wind/snow?
What size did you get?
Other thoughts?

Our ADCO was shredded last winter after 6 years or so of use...I am getting tired of replacing those.

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson
43 REPLIES 43

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to add photos. Has it changed how you attach photos?
Thanks, Jeff Drennan
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
Just had our Carolina Carports garage completed today. Also increased gauge of steel for added strength. Footprint 16’ x 25’. Garage door 12’ wide x 13’ tall. Just waiting for new truck camper to arrive.

Jeff Drennan
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I called an outfit in North carolina and they install a metal carport 24 x 12 12' high for 1100 bucks.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Anybody use one?
Thinking of the inexpensive steel/corrugated roof structures found all over the inter web.

If so, where do you live?
Wind/snow?
What size did you get?
Other thoughts?

Our ADCO was shredded last winter after 6 years or so of use...I am getting tired of replacing those.

Thx, Bill

I too would love to have a carport,but I just cannot afford one at this time..I keep looking for something cheap that I can rebuild but finding one high enough for the TC,keeps getting more expensive..

I also put a cover on my TC when not using it but it is a pain for one person to do...It would be so nice just to back into a carport of some sort and be done with it without being caught in heavy snow and not being able to put the cover back on, like what happened here..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a little late to this thread but a few years ago I finally put my camper under roof. United Carports, 22' wide, 36' deep and 12' sidewalls. This still gives me plenty of room to load the camper under roof. To get the same clearance with a pole building I would have had to go with 14' side walls.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
BradW wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
I have a VersaTube structure, rated at 90 mph wind load and 65 lb. snow load. It’s 30’ long by 12’ wide by 12’ high side wall, with 13.5’ in the peak.

GeoBoy,

The height on mine will be very close. When you say the high side wall height is 12'-0", is that 12' from the concrete to the roof sheet metal or is that 12' to the bottom of the roof structural rectangular tube the roof sheet metal roof sets on?

Basically, is there a full 12' clearance at the edges of the cover when you back your TC under it? Or is it 12' minus 2" or 3" for the roof support tube?

thanks for your help,
bradw

Brad, I will measure it tomorrow morning.

Ok, sorry I didn’t get back yesterday. My VersaTube measures 12’ tall at the inside sidewall, it is 13’8” clear in the peak. Inside width is 11’6”.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought an RV that sat outside for two years because it would not fit in my 10ft tall shop. Last year I built a new building and made sure it was tall enough for anything I wanted to park in it. 14ft doors. I like many know the frustration of having a roof that is just a little too short.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
I have a VersaTube structure, rated at 90 mph wind load and 65 lb. snow load. It’s 30’ long by 12’ wide by 12’ high side wall, with 13.5’ in the peak.

GeoBoy,

The height on mine will be very close. When you say the high side wall height is 12'-0", is that 12' from the concrete to the roof sheet metal or is that 12' to the bottom of the roof structural rectangular tube the roof sheet metal roof sets on?

Basically, is there a full 12' clearance at the edges of the cover when you back your TC under it? Or is it 12' minus 2" or 3" for the roof support tube?

thanks for your help,
bradw

Brad, I will measure it tomorrow morning.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Should have built bigger as the 5W's got larger.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:

GeoBoy,

thanks for your help,
bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Clarryhill. Waiting for a blue print on the 24’ wide so I can verify how much space the corner braces intrude.

24’ wide = 8’ of maneuvering room for two vehicle’s. Hope I am good enough to accomplish that!

Stay tuned,
Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
JimBollman wrote:
One surprise on mine were some diagonal braces that I didn't notice in the pictures. These braces reduces the height by about 10" at the eaves and if you are planning on all the height available (all thee way to the wall) it could be a problem. In my case I just have to be a little careful backing in if I crowd the side, the trailer is the distance from the wall that I want I just have to be careful not to hit one of the diagonals if I don't go in straight.

I have 3 sides enclosed and the front open, where I have mine installed there is heavy woods on two sides so I had steel installed on those sides, the side towards the house I put siding that matches the house.

Thanks. I noticed those braces as well and asked for a drawing today showing the dimensions.
I have decided to go with 24’ wd so I should have enough room.

Thx, Bill

Bill, even though you want to keep the width to a minimum, you will not regret going to 24. I've got 24 in mine (garage/barn) and wish I had gone at least 26.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimBollman wrote:
One surprise on mine were some diagonal braces that I didn't notice in the pictures. These braces reduces the height by about 10" at the eaves and if you are planning on all the height available (all thee way to the wall) it could be a problem. In my case I just have to be a little careful backing in if I crowd the side, the trailer is the distance from the wall that I want I just have to be careful not to hit one of the diagonals if I don't go in straight.

I have 3 sides enclosed and the front open, where I have mine installed there is heavy woods on two sides so I had steel installed on those sides, the side towards the house I put siding that matches the house.

Thanks. I noticed those braces as well and asked for a drawing today showing the dimensions.
I have decided to go with 24’ wd so I should have enough room.

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer