cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake fluid change?

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here actually follow Ford's recommendation to replace brake fluid every 2 years in an F53 chassis? For decades I've been using synthetic fluid and changing every 4 years. At that interval, the fluid is just beginning to change to an orange color. I doubt at 2 years you'd see any change. I've followed the 4 year time in all my vehicles for many years and have never had to replace a caliper/wheel cylinder/master cylinder/ ABS module. Different mfgs are all over the place with change intervals, our Caddy even calls for 10 years! I'd NEVER leave fluid in a vehicle that long. Any thoughts?
72 REPLIES 72

babock
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
babock wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Glad to see selective reading, bold quotes, and taking comments out of context, gives you so much joy and pleasureโ€”lol!
Sure does! And gain...glad you agree with me!
So, so, sorry, to bust your bubble, Babock. Your reality of bliss, joy, and pleasure (and your perception that I agree with you) is solely based on your very selective and limited reading comprehension--lol! I wish you only the best with your alternate reality! Enjoy!
Just agreed what you said "a total brake bleed/flush is the most effective maintenance approach"....which is exactly what you typed.

You didn't mean that?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
babock wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Glad to see selective reading, bold quotes, and taking comments out of context, gives you so much joy and pleasureโ€”lol!
Sure does! And gain...glad you agree with me!
So, so, sorry, to bust your bubble, Babock. Your reality of bliss, joy, and pleasure (and your perception that I agree with you) is solely based on your very selective and limited reading comprehension--lol! I wish you only the best with your alternate reality! Enjoy!

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Surprising this thread is still going. Surprising how many think brake system maintenance is an optional item on vehicles.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:

I have had more than a few different trucks since the 90's that had ABS,at least 10 without thinking too hard, and despite not ever changing brake fluid I have never replaced an ABS unit. I have also never had to replace a caliper, wheel cylinder or master cylinder. I never lost my brakes while driving down the road other than when the 2001 popped a line at 260,000 miles. I still was able to stop. I guess I'm living dangerously and will continue doing so, maybe its just blind luck.
I have electric over hydraulic brakes on one of my trailers. I let it go 5 years and never changed the fluid. One day before a trip I was checking the brakes and the pump unit stopped working. Low and behold, after taking the unit apart, the fluid had gotten moisture in it and seized the pump. $800 later, had to buy a new unit. All it would have taken was around 30 minutes to flush the fluid and it would have saved me $800!

My Lexus GS300 has an ABS unit with a pump. Replacements are over $2K. I follow Lexus's recommendation to change the fluid every 3 years.

Interesting hearing people that brag about skipping recommended maintenance! Seems like a weird thing to brag about!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
Until you have a newer vehicle where the $1500 ABS unit fails on you. It takes less than an hour and $20 worth of brake fluid to do it.

There are people that never go to the doctor, never get vaccinated, smoke, never exercise are over weight and say they roll the dice and are fine! Doesn't mean what works for one person should work for everyone. If the manufacturer recommends doing this maintenance, why ignore the people that designed the vehicle?

I have had more than a few different trucks since the 90's that had ABS,at least 10 without thinking too hard, and despite not ever changing brake fluid I have never replaced an ABS unit. I have also never had to replace a caliper, wheel cylinder or master cylinder. I never lost my brakes while driving down the road other than when the 2001 popped a line at 260,000 miles. I still was able to stop. I guess I'm living dangerously and will continue doing so, maybe its just blind luck.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
I've had so many different vehicles I've lost count since @ 1984 between personal and company provided ones. I never changed brake fluid on any except one. It was a 2001 GMC 1500 that all the lines rotted out @2013 at 260,000 miles. They did not rot from the inside out. I can't remember even adding fluid unless due to changing pads. I'll stick with the roll the dice method.
Until you have a newer vehicle where the $1500 ABS unit fails on you. It takes less than an hour and $20 worth of brake fluid to do it.

There are people that never go to the doctor, never get vaccinated, smoke, never exercise are over weight and say they roll the dice and are fine! Doesn't mean what works for one person should work for everyone. If the manufacturer recommends doing this maintenance, why ignore the people that designed the vehicle?

babock
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Sure does! And again...glad you agree with me!

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If your the kind of person who trades a vehicle regularly, say every 5 or even 8 years, sure you can ignore it and the vehicle will still stop. If you like to keep your vehicles, like my dad use to say, "until the wheels fall off", then flushing on a regular basis is a good idea. I think it's an especially good idea for more heavy duty vehicles like motor homes, because of their weight plus folks tend to keep them a long time. Another issue is if you never crack open the bleed screw, it has a tendency to rust and then break off, especially in salted road country. Most people don't do it cause it such a PIA. I use a Branick pro brake bleeder which makes it much easier, but you need to buy a master cylinder adapter kit to go with it. I can't say for sure why this RV lost it's brakes, but there was a similar accident up there where a husband and wife we're killed after overheating their brakes coming down a mountain. Warning, the video is a bit graphic.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
you guys just keep it up. I have never changed brake fluid and never will. :B

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
babock wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Most would agree a total brake bleed/flush is the most effective maintenance approach. However, to say anything short of a total brake bleed/flush is "ridiculous", well, that sounds like someone who may have the luxury of excess time and/or money on their hands. For the rest of us, I think common sense says maintenance doesn't have to be all or nothing to be effective.
Yes..a total brake fluid bleed/flush is the most effective maintenance approach.

Glad you agree with me!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
Westcoasting wrote:
Wow every two years... I've seen it all now!!
Mercedes says replace every two, Lexus every 3, Honda every 3. If you know more than the auto manufacturers...then don't replace it! Your vehicle!

I've had so many different vehicles I've lost count since @ 1984 between personal and company provided ones. I never changed brake fluid on any except one. It was a 2001 GMC 1500 that all the lines rotted out @2013 at 260,000 miles. They did not rot from the inside out. I can't remember even adding fluid unless due to changing pads. I'll stick with the roll the dice method.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
Mercedes says replace every two, Lexus every 3, Honda every 3. If you know more than the auto manufacturers...then don't replace it! Your vehicle!

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer

babock
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Most would agree a total brake bleed/flush is the most effective maintenance approach. However, to say anything short of a total brake bleed/flush is "ridiculous", well, that sounds like someone who may have the luxury of excess time and/or money on their hands. For the rest of us, I think common sense says maintenance doesn't have to be all or nothing to be effective.

Yes..a total brake fluid bleed/flush is the most effective maintenance approach.

Glad you agree with me!