cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog Attack

JG
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping in a area in our Casita & found an Apple Festival was going on. We grabbed out little dog and we were on our way. It was at an apple farm. It was crowded and folks had there dogs with them on a lease. As we were leaving I noticed a man sitting on a loading dock,with 2 Pitbull looking dogs. My wife told me to stop & we need to go another way. A couple walked by us with a black & white collie past the 2 large dogs. The one large dog alerted and the owner put his arm around both dogs necks. The larger dog backed away & the owner tried to stop him but the dog was to powerful. It pulled out of it's harness and attacked the collie in a matter of seconds. It was horrible. The leg & shoulder was injured on the Collie by the time the big dog was pulled away. Some one got a towel & wrapped the dog up & the owner got on her phone to find a emergency vet in the area. What if this had been a child? If your dog is to big to control, leave it at home.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969
53 REPLIES 53

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are few bad dogs, but a lot of bad dog owners.
The bigger your dog the more responsibility you must take to control him.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Service dogs ARE service dogs. They are trained to perform a specific task
for those with disabilities. That disability may not be readily apparent (such as those trained to warn the person of abnormal diabetic levels or seizures, etc). Some service dogs are trained to perform specific tasks to assist a veteran through a PTSD episode - while that may sound similar to an emotional support dog, it is not. These service dogs are trained to lay on top of the vet until the episode passes or to actively disrupt the episode by barking or performing another specific task. They do not simply provid comfort to the vet.

"Comfort" or "Emotional support" dogs are NOT service dogs. They are not trained to perform a specific task for a person with a disability. There are laws that may provide for them, but they are NOT protected under the ADA. This is the most abused category - because any dog (or other pet) can provide "comfort" and "support" simply by being there.

Therapy dogs are NOT service dogs. They are NOT trained to perform a specific task to assist someone with a disability. They are provided access to hospitals, etc., through specific programs and/or agreements with the facility. They are NOT protected under the ADA.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs have been in my family most of my life and served as a former Military Working Dog Handler. A lot of people should not have a dog just as some should not have children. Once a DOG is off-leash or the owner has lost control you have what is called a loose Dog and the owner is still just as responsible for whatever happens.
Many folks have service dogs, but in truth, many so-called service dogs are not true service dogs.

I love the fact that there are many new careers for Dogs today. Trained or Service Dog as they have a JOB. What I'm going to say now most of you don't want to know.

NEVER, NEVER NEVER touch or pet a DOG that is not your own dog. Now if you must touch a Dog ask the person if they are the owner? Ask them how long they have had the dog? the longer they have had the Dog the more aware they should be of the Dog's reactions to strangers. If you must touch another dog ASK also if it is Okay to pet there dog? If yes, Look at the dog's ears as they work just like a horse (EARS DOWN AND BACK NOT GOOD) Dogs are natural protectors for the one who feeds them. They are PROTECTIVE of all things belonging to the owner. NEVER PET a strange dog inside a vehicle as they will protect even many non-biters. NEVER in the back of a PICKUP TRUCK. If more than one dog together never pets them as some dogs can be protective of jealous of the other's affections. Let the dog hear your voice and the owners try not to make baby talk with a dog that may be in dog years older than you are.

NOW YOU HAVE THE OKAY TO PET the Dog, so what do you do? make a fist as this will protect your fingers, Hold the back of your hand just close enough for the DOG to small the back of your hand and only one person at a time. If the dog does snap there is not much for them to bite onto the back of your hand.

Remember dogs are pack animals and they will protect the pack and humans can be part of the pack. A female dog can be as protective as a mother bear over her cubs.

NOW if your say in an RV Park walking and a dog is loose running or walking about the park and coming closer. If you have time to get out of the way without running do so. Otherwise, STAND STILL STANDING UP and Cross your arms doing this will protect your hands.

If you are the owner of a loose dog and it won't return to you. lay down on the ground as in most cases when the dogs see this, there is a good possibility they will return to you while you are down. "This is pack behaver" But they have to see you lay down.

All dogs will bite if provoked. Try not to give them any reason to bite you! I love all dogs, but I don't pet any dog without having known the owner and Dog.
Be SAFE and DON'T Pet strange DOGS unless trained and have a good reason to do so.

"Is that a sweet dog, YES you are, you're a good boy, what a good dog, you're so sweet." Are the first words before a problem.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
This is my dog story. Camping on the coast of California Doran beach I went for a walk with my 3 Pekingese and walked by a Rottweiler chained up and barking like crazy. It was jerking on its chain and broke loose and atacked my dogs. One was hirt and we drove to a 24 hr vet in Santa Rosa 250 dollars later we came back to camp. The guy said he Was sorry and gave us a check. Came home and the check bounced. Called him up and he said I need to pay bills first. After a few weeks of hassle it finely cleared. I have nightmares of that atack of that vicious Rottweiler!
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have only had 2 dogs bite me and one more try.

#1.. Was very apologetic.. He was not trying to bite me. I put my hand in his mouth instead of under his chin.. My bad.

#2: Well. he did not really bite but one of his Canine teeth did hit my thumbnail.. But by the time the jaws closed I was no longer in position.

#3 Failed totally First try I was faster then she. 2nd try she went for the throat buy coming up under my arm.... Not enough room between my body and arm for her body to pass so again she was less than satisfied. Most dogs I get along with well.. Though I have Deep and abiding respect for the CHOW breed. (I have respect for all of 'em).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
WVcampground wrote:
hokeypokey wrote:

3). I wish there would be a National law that if a dog is taken out (for any reason) it should be muzzled.

Seriously? :S Look up the number of dog related deaths and injuries compared to the number of vehicular related deaths and injuries per year. What other laws are needed?

All cars should be muzzled before leaving the driveway. Maybe there would be less injuries. :B

JG
Explorer
Explorer
My dog has tried to bite me when he got excited. He's a small dog. I can control him. It is very hard to control a dog that is more powerful than you are.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
How to protect yourself from dog attacks: so far, we have heard gun, whips, cattle prods.

After I was attached by a pit bull, I put the question to my local animal control department. Their suggestions:

(1) A citronella-based spray is what their agents use.
(2) A long stick. They said that few dogs will go past the end of a stick that is pointed at them.

Luckily, I got off with only only a couple of deep puncture wounds. The dog snapped at my thigh but did not hang on in the usual pit-bull manner. By shouting, I kept the dog away until the owner could run up with the "He's never done that before," story.

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:

3). I wish there would be a National law that if a dog is taken out (for any reason) it should be muzzled.

Seriously? :S Look up the number of dog related deaths and injuries compared to the number of vehicular related deaths and injuries per year. What other laws are needed?
"Now the Subaru with the “coexist” sticker on the back doing 68 mph passing a semi that’s going 67mph in a 70 zone. Yeah I’ll slap the entitlement tag on them leaf lickers!" - Grit Dog - Warning, you may find the preceding offensive if you lick leaves.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
1). Our local Farmers Market clearly states “due to state health laws - no pets allowed”. They bring them anyway.
2). I know of people out walking who have been bitten by a dog that ran at them.
4). I love dogs but I don’t want one for the liability of it.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I suppose she thought it would miraculously appear at that dreamworld "farm in the country" where it could spend out its days in bliss.

And guess what the farmers in "dreamworld" do when the city folk drop off their problem pet? Shoot it. They don't want your problem, either. My long-ago neighbor had a beautiful place in the country - and several times each year, we'd hear "BLAM!" coming from his property. He admitted he'd take the animal out into the woods and dispatch it - he didn't want to drive it into town to the animal rescue and PAY to leave it like I usually did.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Ah yes toedtoes,
People think they have all the answers and don't realize what they are saying or don't even know the situation.
just like keyboard warriors saying cruel things since they aren't face to face with you about your large mean dog.
My dobie was 12 years old and other than walking a bit funny he liked to go sit in the park everyday.
A lady comes up to me and says, EZ, it's time.
Uh, time for what?
Time to put him down.
I just sat there in disbelief that anyone could say something like that.
I'll decide when it's time thank you very much.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco-noslide wrote:
People who find they have dangerous aggressive dogs should be able to have them put down without being lectured by animal right people. Our daughter had an unpredictable, crazy acting Beagle then had a baby. Had a heck of a time finding a kennel to take it. They were treated like it was a child they were trying t get rid of.

This is a tough one. Many people will quickly "get rid of" a pet when a baby comes along. Often they will claim the animal is a danger to the baby when there is no danger - just a person choosing to get rid of an unwanted pet.

Then there are those who truly have a problem pet. Who have done everything possible to correct the issue, have tried every out!et to find it a new home and who truly cannot keep it.

I have dealt with both personally. I had a co-worker ask me to take her older cat (that she had had since it was a kitten) because she got pregnant and didn't want the cat to steal the baby's breath. I told her to take it to the animal services and know that there was a 90 percent chance of it being destroyed. She wanted an easy way out of pet ownership and I wasn't going to give it to her.

My next door neighbors took in an abused rottie from the neighborhood. They had him for quite a few years and had developed a trust with him. But the dog was unsafe around others. When they were forced to move due to health reasons, they contacted every rescue in the area and tried to find another home for him that would work with no luck. No one would help them. They weren't moving by choice. They weren't just dumping him because they were tired of him. And they were in an impossible position. They went to a local vet who refused to euthanize the dog and made them feel like horrid people. I went with them to my vet who did the euthanasia because it was the best solution in that situation.

There is a huge difference between those two events and they were very clear to see the difference. Most are somewhere in between and it's more difficult to determine the best solution.

I once had a cat who sprayed. A friend came by one day and told me "you need to get rid of that cat". I said " Get rid of where? " and she said "I don't know but you shouldn't have to deal with this".
I replied, "I've had him since he was a kitten and if I'm unwilling to put up with his behavior, why would anyone else choose to take him knowing he sprays? So I guess you mean I should have him killed." She got very quiet. It never occurred to her that if the cat was "gotten rid of" it therefore had to be "gotten" somewhere else. I suppose she thought it would miraculously appear at that dreamworld "farm in the country" where it could spend out its days in bliss.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JG
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone should control their dogs. But the damage done by a large dog can be bad or deadly. Last month a old lady was in her back yard with her Pit Bull. It bite her in the neck and killed.
2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck