Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking to sell - any advice?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking to sell - any advice?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there is always the option of renting it out and get some money out of it.

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is also the option of a consignment sale. Just read the terms closely

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take lots of pictures and put it on Craigslist for slightly above what you owe on it or what your research indicates it's worth - get your payoff from your creditor, and wait. Don't be in a hurry to sell it. If someone offers you less, simply state that you have multiple people lined up to look at it, and will let them know - but if you give me X amount, I'll sell to you now.

My friend recently sold his 2019 unit this way. Good luck.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MKirkland

Washington state

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in a large house and also later bought a cabin. When we became empty nesters we decided to move permanently to the cabin and sold the large house. In the meantime we never forgot camping. It doesn't have to be either or. The minute you buy a cabin, guaranteed you will miss camping.

Glowrdr

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like I will just have to let her know we will be keeping the camper. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and quit being so wishy washy, or looking at the grass on the other side of the fence.

I was thinking if we could "get out" for a few grand, it might be worth it. But I'm not taking a 10k hit on something we will have paid off in a few years anyways. I do like traveling, and feel that we would regret getting rid of it if we did. Thanks for the up front advice everyone. Camp on!

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know but the depreciation will be brutal on a recently purchased RV of any sort. I don't think you can avoid it but a dealer will try to make it look less by offering an inflated trade-in on a unit that he would discount a lot if you didn't have a trade. I think you will always get more by selling privately even by selling it for less than you think it's worth. IF you have the patience.

Jayco-noslide

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not buy anything on wheels expecting to get anywhere close to what you paid for it unless it is a classic car etc. Best wishes to the original poster.

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

jseyfert3

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off, don't try and sell it now. If you want to sell, sell it in the spring when everybody wants to buy a camper. Right now the only people looking to buy campers are people not in a hurry and looking to get a good deal because someone needs to sell a camper now.

Secondly, always private sale for max dollar, no matter what you're selling (car/camper/boat). It's more work though.

Third, you'll likely take a big hit. We bought our 2015 in June of 2018. I'm not certain if they bought it $24k or the MSRP was $24k, but we paid $13k for it. If they paid $24k for it, then it lost half its value in 3 years. And they had stored it inside, used it only a handful of weekends, and everything was in perfect condition. RVs just do not hold value.

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Well there is always the option of renting it out and get some money out of it.

Horrible idea.

Standard insurance would be null and void if you end up needing to put a claim in and the reason was due to being a rental unit.

One would have to find an insurance Co which is willing to write a policy which WILL cover the unit as a rental.. That will result in a huge insurance bill taking a considerable bite out your "gains".

Then you have to take into consideration that you WILL have to spend a considerable amount of time for each renter to go over all of the features/functions along with do's and don'ts.

Then there is the matter of WD and WD setup for each different potential Tow Vehicle..

Then there is the potential issue of inexperienced first time to towing renters.. Your unit may come back OK, smashed or even never come back and potentially killed the renter and or other motorists due to lack of towing experience..

Then there is the cleaning and fixing each time the unit comes back and hoping they at least dumped and washed out the black tank before they brought it back..

One or two "rentals" and your new unit will look like it is 20 yrs old..

No renter will ever treat your stuff as well as you do and that is a fact.

All of those glorious hassles plus more, for what, to cover $200-$400 a month payment to the bank?

If you are wanting to do rentals, buy old derelict RVs, don't do that with a new RV..

OP would be better off taking the huge loss upfront by selling it and be done with it before ever considering renting it out. Otherwise it will be like a very painful bandage being ripped off every time you have to clean and fix it after each rental.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glowrdr wrote:

Sounds to me like I will just have to let her know we will be keeping the camper. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and quit being so wishy washy, or looking at the grass on the other side of the fence.

I was thinking if we could "get out" for a few grand, it might be worth it. But I'm not taking a 10k hit on something we will have paid off in a few years anyways. I do like traveling, and feel that we would regret getting rid of it if we did. Thanks for the up front advice everyone. Camp on!

Friends of mine bought a TT 5yrs ago, they have done quite a few trips, two yrs ago they bought some land out in a very rural area that they were interested in setting up a "camp" to eventually build on. No deed restrictions on the property so they could park AND USE their TT on the property whenever they wanted. Property came with septic and electric already there.

Now they have the best of both worlds, they can still travel if they like or sit back and relax on their own camp property..

YES, there STILL ARE PLACES you can still do this and not break any laws! You just have to get away from big cities and even the more restrictive states.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking to sell - any advice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.