Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Upgraded my tow vehicle, do I still need a WDH?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Upgraded my tow vehicle, do I still need a WDH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Twistedlarch

Cottage Grove, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ifd22 wrote:

I would look at getting a Andersen hitch. With a small trailer like you have it would work perfectly. Very light, no grease, no noise.

Do you have a link or picture?

ifd22

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twistedlarch wrote:

ifd22 wrote:

I would look at getting a Andersen hitch. With a small trailer like you have it would work perfectly. Very light, no grease, no noise.

Andersen hitch

This is the one I had with my last TT. It worked as well as the Equilizer hitch I had prior without the weight and mess. I towed a 8000 TT behind a Tundra, then a Dodge Ram 2500.

2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2007 2500 Quadcab CTD
Andersen hitch
Prodigy BC

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am experimenting going without a WDH with the new Silverado 1500 and my 5200 pound wet and loaded TT. So far all is well. However, I did add air bags to level the TV and TT...needed about an inch and a half lift.

“If you are under the "weight carrying" tongue weight rating on your hitch receiver,”

I am, CarringB.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 4000# 22' TT with a 3/4T and never needed WDH until some stupid tire dealer snuck LR D's on my truck. Your Tacoma probably has a hihger tow rating than that old truck did (7500#).
So I would give it a try and if it is the least bit squirly or you feel any sway, then yo ucan go with the WDH.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ifd22 wrote:

Twistedlarch wrote:

ifd22 wrote:

Andersen hitch

This is the one I had with my last TT. It worked as well as the Equilizer hitch I had prior without the weight and mess. I towed a 8000 TT behind a Tundra, then a Dodge Ram 2500.

Good choice for your set-up! I approve!

[image]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not needed. It's for added safety and peace of mind.

Think all those weight, pulling, bouncing and swinging is resting on that single steel ball.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A WD hitch makes for a more comfortable ride and a safer ride. WD stands for weight distribution not so much sway control unless you purchase a WD hitch with sway control built in. It transfers weight from the rear axle to the steering axle giving you more control and a safer ride.

If you have a white-knuckle experience it will change your mind about going without it.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brian, here is my 2 pennies worth of input. I had a 21ft Hybrid trailer about 15 years ago and pulled it with my Toyota 4Runner with the V8 option. Great combination but because I had the 4Runner with a short wheelbase, I got an Equalizer hitch with the 600lb tongue rating. This performed well for me and I never had any issues. I got an '08 Tundra and used the same hitch. I moved up to a heavier trailer and now have a '17 Tundra and a bigger Equalizer, the 1000lb model.

I have towed well over 50K miles with these trailers and really believe in a good WD hitch with built in sway control. Had my original setup in some very strong winds in the flats and never had an issue. The way I figure it is, EVERYONE needs some kind of sway control. A good equalizing hitch will keep things level and weight back on the steer axle. If you go with a WD hitch you really should consider one that has built in sway capabilities.

Minimally, you do need some kind of sway control. The hitch you posted allows you to add a sway bar. I would consider this as the minimal requirement. Get some kind of sway, for sure.

There are many good options for you. Some have already mentioned the Anderson, some like Blue OX, and I like the Equalizer but then, that is the only hitch I have ever used.

You are wise to ask the questions. You will get lots of ideas. You are going to love the Tundra. Towing will be so much more enjoyable than with the smaller version

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd still go for a WD hitch.

I use one, towing my 18' travel trailer with a 3500HD dually, and also towing a 12' cargo trailer with the same truck.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my one ton dually CC diesel, I can tell if the hitch is one hole out of adjustment.
Your stated wieghts will go up a lot when loaded.
750# TW would not suprise me at all.

You already have a WD hitch. It WILL tow better with it than without. Use what you already have. It's paid for. Let it do it's job.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Upgraded my tow vehicle, do I still need a WDH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.