cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Class'C' E-450 Ford V10 lacks power?

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
New 2020 Jayco Grayhawk Pristige 31 foot on the Ford V10, 305 horse power Van E-450 chassis seems to lack power? This is my 5th MoHo and 3rd. Class 'C' Ford Van Chassis V10 305 HP. Has there been some sort of Engine detune for Exhaust Emissions or the like? I've been happy with all the other V10s. :h
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
21 REPLIES 21

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
AJR wrote:
The only car I have had a K&N filter on was a 1965 Shelby AC Cobra that really needed to breathe.

A 1965 Shelby AC Cobra is not a "car". As you know, it's the most simultaneously beautiful and wicked Demon to ever travel a road on Earth.

P.S. I recently saw the new movie "Ford versus Ferrari" and it really brought back memories, such as:

1. I could have bought a new 427 Cobra roadster in the 1960's for around $6k.
2. I drove a 289 ci slab-sided Cobra roadster once - 110 MPH in 2nd gear before I gave up in fear.
3. I saw Carol Shelby in person up close way back when.
4. I saw some of the actual famous driver characters in the movie race Cobras in SCCA events at Laguna Seca decades ago. In one race, the winning Cobra roadster was an entire lap ahead of the rest of the field (which included many struggling Corvettes).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Almost funny... โ€œK&N filters still require that spray to capture the dirt more effectivelyโ€ Followed by โ€œThat sensor is extremely sensitive to dirt.โ€

I do not think K&N filters are necessary on a van.

Normal common sense says change the filter when needed.

The only car I have had a K&N filter on was a 1965 Shelby AC Cobra that really needed to breathe.

If you have a Ford. Get the Five Star Tune. It does make a difference on shifting under load. I bought it and liked it.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I assume reusable K&N filters still require that spray to capture the dirt more effectively. I found the K&N to be a high maintenance item that offers no gain under nearly all driving conditions. I am also concerned that the spray product may contaminate the sensor down-stream. That sensor is extremely sensitive to dirt. If so, your engine performance is compromised, and I think your Check Engine light goes on. You can clean the sensor, but I feel it is smarter to use a conventional air filter to avoid the condition.

My advise is to change the standard pleated paper filter every 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions. If you found yourself driving in a severe dust storm or a forest fire area, inspect the filter when you have passed the condition. If it is noticeably dirty, stop off at the next town and replace it.

We once drove our tiny little camper down into Monument valley on a windy day. The red dust ended up everywhere, all over the engine, and the air filter was a serious mess. That is one such situation where it was a-must to change the air filter after our visit.

Oh, and don't forget my reply on October 24th about inspecting the plastic flap that if installed improperly, will block a serious amount of engine air flow.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
I would not use a K&N in anything. My, my opinion from being a Youtube Certified DIY mechanic. Do some research, check this Ford Guy out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJKlb61_kXU
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
2 thanks all
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a brand new 2020 MH I doubt there is anything wrong with it. A 31 ft class C is probably heavier especially if it has more slides than your previous V-10's. If you had a older 31 ft Class A you would have had almost 60 more HP compared to your newer MH. HP to weight ratio determines the performance. MH magazine sometimes posts 40-60 MPH times of the various new MH's. To check to see if anything is wrong with yours just see how many secs it takes you to go from 40-60 MPH and compare it to what the specs say. My guess if you are between 12-16 secs there is nothing wrong with your MH. Give yourself sometime in it before you make any modifications if you are still not happy with the performance once the warranty is over there are a number of things you can do.

brianjwilson
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m no expert on the class A chassis, but my understanding was that a lot of them have a 10 speed transmission, while the E series is still a six speed transmission. If youโ€™re coming from a 10 speed to a 6 speed, that will make a huge difference in drivability.

What axle ratio is in your class C?

mda
Explorer
Explorer
If still under warranty, I would not change anything. Do the steps recommended, but leave the 5 star and k&n until out of warranty.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Chhristmas all. My son got me the K&N Performance Air Intake Filter System for Christmas. Will this help? Will I also need the 5-Star Tuner that pushtoy 2 mentioned? That thing costs over $500.00! Its a brand new MoHO. What will these 'Add-Ons' do to the Warranty?
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
If I ever get an answer I'll post it here thanks all
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 2 spark plug coils replaced and bot times power was down.
Jayco-noslide

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
try 5 star tuneing they realy helped my V10 alot. more power and trans shifts much better i can even use my cruse now. i know there others but i tryed 5 star and like it.
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
And very beneficial and helpful to all of us who may find ourselves in a similar situation, that the OP follows up to reveal the "solution to the problem was....???". Don't leave us guessing. We all ask questions and look for ANSWERS on this board.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Nope. The E-series never got a power reduction. 1st thing to check is that nothing is obstructed. Some V10s a while back had a plastic flaps installed wrong, which would nearly completely obstruct the intake opening behind the grill.
I was going to mention this but carringb beat me to it.

Inspecting for it is very simple as follows.

Pop-off the black plastic oval air intake from the connection to the shroud located over the radiator, and look in the hole of the shroud. If you see a plastic flap obstruction, you must disconnect and lift the shroud, fold the black plastic flap in such a way that when you lower the shroud, it stays folded back.

Another item to inspect is the air filter itself. On rare occasion, the air filter comes apart and the domed plastic center piece is drawn to and blocks the air intake.

Both inspections take only a minute to do yourself, well worth the effort. It is inconvenient to get other people involved with issues you can easily take care of yourself. That is unless you have found the actual problem and have trouble dismounting and lifting the shroud. At the very least, you are knowledgeable when talking with a mechanic.