Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Which WDH?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which WDH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
tkcrawford

Edmonton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for some sage advice on which WDH I should be looking at. The particulars:
Trailer - 2019 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX, GVWR 11,144, UVW 7754, Hitch weight 944
TV - 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually, TorkLift Magnum Superhitch, PacBrake airbags, Helwig BigWig, TorkLift Stable Loads.

We are not new to RVing but have recently traded in our Eagle Cap for this new RV. It has been many, many years since we've owned a travel trailer.

Not looking to spend thousands of dollars on a super-high-end hitch. The local dealer wants to sell a Curt 17501 but I don't see it listed on the online reviews in the top 10 best WDH's out there.

What WDH would you guys recommend? Why? Any regrets? Any Ah-ha moments?

2004 Dodge Laramie 3500 Dually, CTD 305/555, Quad Cab, 4x4, NV5600, Torklift SuperHitch Magnum, Stableloads, PacBrake Airbags, Big WIg Anti-sway bar
2019 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Reese dual cam Equalizer hitch. I haven't used other brands so can't comment on them. Curt seems to be a copy of the Reese hitch. I personally like the Reese dual cam hitch.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to find a used Hensley Arrow on eBay. A few $$ more will save you a lot of white knuckles and your DW will even want to help you drive sometime.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Try to find a used Hensley Arrow on eBay. A few $$ more will save you a lot of white knuckles and your DW will even want to help you drive sometime.

White knuckle with a dually?!?

No, what he needs is simply a competent hitch with integrated anti-sway. My vote would be Equalizer with 1,200 pound or 1,400 pound bars depending on how much they're planning to put in the trailer. List on those is $685-$785 with no shank. The reason I mention the no shank is that he has a 2.5" receiver (I assume he's using the 2" for a bike or other accessory) and the standard bundled shank is a 2" and nobody should have to deal with sleeves.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy with my Reese DC also

NWnative

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue OX SwayPro is what we use. Easy to hitch and unhitch, works as advertised, nice an quiet when in use.

2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitch weight 944 is nothing for dually.
Try to drive it with nothing added and see if you have a problem before spending money.

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Hitch weight 944 is nothing for dually.
Try to drive it with nothing added and see if you have a problem before spending money.

That gets my vote. How would you even set up a WDH with that combo, you'll have nothing to measure. I would bet the front end of the dually does not rise 1/64th of an inch when you drop it on the ball. You could always guess or spend a morning at the scales I suppose.

tkcrawford

Edmonton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I never thought of not using a WDH for this setup but, as I think about it, the truck should have no problem handing that weight on the ball. However, I think I should consider getting an anti-sway feature of some kind. Can you even get anti-sway without purchasing the entire WD hitch?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sway is something trailer makes.
Most of US -build trailers are having high clearances, what makes COG pretty high and with suspension having no shock absorbers, that makes them prone to all kind of waving. Add very common long truck overhang, what puts the ball 5 ft behind the axle and you have recipe for troubles.
Generally multi-axle trailers are way better than single-axle.
What trailer you have?
Again, I would not spend my money before testing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which WDH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.