Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Which WDH?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which WDH?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

90% of the third party trailer towers delivering trailers are using DRW and no WDH.

If you do go for something for peace of mind and to help sway, I put in a vote for the Blue Ox. Used it on my older setup (10k TT and F250) as well as my current setup and I have been nothing but pleased.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 36 of my 37 years!

Snomas

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Anderson WDH Easy to use and works well.

2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, 5.0 L V8, RWD.
2019 Flagstaff micro mini 21DS
Anderson WDH

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Try to find a used Hensley Arrow on eBay. A few $$ more will save you a lot of white knuckles and your DW will even want to help you drive sometime.

That’s overkill for what he is towing with. Hensley Arrow hitches are very heavy and a pain to install and remove. They do their job very well but it would probably be the last on my list to purchase.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my dually I towed my trailer with and without the WD Hitch and found no real difference in handling.

The trailer had a little wiggle in it but that would have easily been handled by couple of weld on sway bar tabs and two sway bars on my shank.

I did run my WD hitch when I carried a load in the bed. For us a load in the bed was about 1200 or so lbs.

Thanks!

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

tkcrawford

Edmonton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, OP here. I believe I'm going to go with the WD hitch with sway control. I'm sure that the truck can handle the load fine on just a ball but I've always been one to over-build things. I'd rather have too much of something than too little. Today, if the weather cooperates (we've had freezing rain and snow overnight - yay), I'm going to try to go shopping and see what's available locally. Thanks for all the suggestions and issues to think about.

2004 Dodge Laramie 3500 Dually, CTD 305/555, Quad Cab, 4x4, NV5600, Torklift SuperHitch Magnum, Stableloads, PacBrake Airbags, Big WIg Anti-sway bar
2019 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a 10000 gvwr car hauler with a 6880 lb tractor/cab/7' mower with a 1500 chevy.
I thank Barney (moderator) for talking me into getting a WD hitch even tho I hadn't been using one. One of his recommendations was a Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb bars (32218 hitch). clicky link

The trailer now tracks the 1500 truck like my heavier GN and 5th wheel trailers behind my 3/4 and one ton trucks when doing a sharp maneuver out on the highway.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

beermanjoe

Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just upgraded to an Equalizer with integrated 4 point sway. Wow what a difference from my WDH with the chains.Should have done it years ago.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tkcrawford wrote:

Hi, OP here. I believe I'm going to go with the WD hitch with sway control. I'm sure that the truck can handle the load fine on just a ball but I've always been one to over-build things. I'd rather have too much of something than too little. Today, if the weather cooperates (we've had freezing rain and snow overnight - yay), I'm going to try to go shopping and see what's available locally. Thanks for all the suggestions and issues to think about.

I'll be the naysayer and agree that you need weight distribution even with your dually. 1000#'s plus 3' behind the axles hanging past the bumper will impact handling.
On a good day the impact maybe minimal. On a bad day the impact could be critical.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, choice made by the OP. Rving is a leisure/ luxury endeavor . That said... Safety 1st. You paid a lot of money for your rv, you're supposed to enjoy it. Now the choice of which hitch? Cheap one? Expensive one? Cost of a hitch is certainly a consideration but its a one time purchase......unless you buy one that doesn't work for you or is unsafe. Trouble is most don't know , (some do) whats unsafe for their rig until they have a " white knuckle" experience or the Trooper asks "what happened". Here's more info;

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-which-sway-control-hitch.aspx

https://hensleymfg.com/trailer-sway-101/

https://www.propridehitch.com/understanding-sway

%^&^%$# computer. should work now.

* This post was edited 10/31/19 09:23pm by Galvanizd *

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad links

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Which WDH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.