Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
txfamilycamper

Richardson, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi fellow travelers,

My wife and I are developing a new RV park between McKinney and Anna (15 minutes north of McKinney), TX along highway 75. We'll have some monthly spots and some daily/weekly spots available.

We've spent up to 9 weeks on the road with our two young children, mostly dry camping in national & state parks, sometimes in private parks. We definitely know what we like, but I wanted to put the question out to the group...

What is most important to you when finding a place for a weekend, a couple of weeks, or 6 months? What makes you return the next time, and what makes you say 'never again'?

Wildwood 30KQBSS, F250 gas
Honda gen & renogy solar suitcase for dry camping

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sites spread out far enough, or at least arranged in a way so you don't feel like you're staring at the back of your neighbor's RV.

I would also appreciate a fenced dog park so the dogs could go run around off-leash.

Also, not sure this exists in any RV park but we would love an "adults" area... meaning no kids around in a certain part of the park. Or at least put the kid friendly stuff at one end.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2, JAC! Space between sites and space from my campsite to the kids play area.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion you are attempting to develop a park that has two incompatible client bases. Long term stays don't mix well with overnight and short term stays. Just a fact of the RV world.
Do everything right and complete the first time. Building a few sites without the rest of the infrastructure such as bathrooms, office and any planned recreational facilities in place will just get you bad reviews and word of mouth. People don't want to stay where there is constant construction or incomplete facilities. Solid, well placed utilities, good access and good roads, clean well constructed common facilities, and good landscaping is what is needed to please the vast majority of guests. Everything else is optional.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, most important would probably have to be location. I don't think I've ever said to myself that I'd like to visit East Micropolis because that's where XYZ RV park is, but I have frequently stayed at XYZ RV park because it's convenient to East Micropolis and I wanted to go to East Micropolis. Related to that, if decent public transit in East Micropolis exists and can be accessed not far from XYZ RV park, that is a very definite advantage to me.

Second would probably be price, at least within reason. If the price is high, I'd sure expect there to be some compensating advantages that justify the price: extra nice sites, etc.

I like some space and privacy, and vegetation/trees between sites. I don't particularly need lots of ammenitites or even full hookups; electricity at the site is nice, and a dump station/potable water fill is likewise very much appreciated. An RV wash station is nice sometimes, doubly so if it doesn't require dumping a lot of quarters in a box on the wall. On longer trips, laundromat facilities are a plus. Pull through vs. back-in makes little if any difference to me.

Although I don't have or generally travel with kids, I do like having them generally around and seeing them have a great time. (That's not to say I'd appreciate them climbing on my RV, of course!)

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the seasonals/long terms and short term customers in separate loops. We frequent a CG that does this and it's a great setup.

Enforced quiet hours. Especially if you are catering to families, big rigs and seasonals. Most people don't always realize they are really loud and will be more than happy to quiet down by the owner or staff when asked. For us nothing ruins a CG more than a party atmosphere with hooting and hollering all night long that shows disrespect for others.

Have a conversation with local law enforcement and found out if they will back you on kicking out trouble makers. Ask them how you should handle these kinds of situations especially drunks causing problems. You can't always kick them out. This and the quiet hours enforcement will set the tone for the type of CG that's inviting for both seasonals and weekenders.

If you are looking at having long term customers then laundry facilities are a must. Even we use them when doing a week long trip.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Separate long term and short term areas. Good separation of sites, access to water, electric, sewer that don’t require 40 ft reach. If you advertise WiFi make sure you have sufficient bandwidth to handle current expectations of service. A location that provides good to great cell service. Level sites, and if possible choose a location which provides shaded sites. And a personal desire unless you have long distances to amenities - No Golf Cart usage unless someone requires one due to disability.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

Sites spread out far enough, or at least arranged in a way so you don't feel like you're staring at the back of your neighbor's RV.

I would also appreciate a fenced dog park so the dogs could go run around off-leash.

Also, not sure this exists in any RV park but we would love an "adults" area... meaning no kids around in a certain part of the park. Or at least put the kid friendly stuff at one end.

x2

55+ Adult only section.

Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kernville, TX has a great set up.

Limit number of people on each site to 6. Limit number of dogs. If they are having a big get together, a party, or Rally, must use a Pavilion and not disturb the rest of the neighboring sites.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing it in a southern region, if you will cater to long termers in a section, have the best wifi you can, short timers can use hotspots etc, but the long termers want good wifi. They will overlook some other misgivings for good wifi.
Otherwise , as others have suggested, separate areas, room between sites, Senior or over 55 areas.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 6 cents worth.

1. Good electrical that can handle a full load of everyone's A/C, heaters, microwaves, etc.
2. Good WiFi - maybe have two levels of service. You could charge more for fast service for people who want to stream movies or otherwise use lots of bandwidth.
3. A nice shower house with laundry.
4. Level sites. It's surprises me all of the time of the RV parks we pull into which have terribly un-level sites. Either front to rear or side to side.
5. Sewer and water hookup where they should be and not back at the end of the RV.
6. The sites don't have to be paved, but have a decent gravel base to keep mud from being tracked inside when it rains, snows or the sprinklers are on. Spent a few nights in an RV park in Texas two years ago that the ground was so bad that I had to relevel the RV every day. And I have 16" x 16" heavy jack pads that would get pushed down into the mud. Then the camp ground owner was mad at people for washing the mud off of their shoes in the shower house.

Bili

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS