Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Make sure the top of the sewer hookups are not six inches above ground level -- that stuff does not flow uphill well at all! Keep them as close to ground level as you can.

I have even seen RV parks where the sewer opening was slightly lower than ground level and located within a recessed concrete basin, like a sani-dump. That setup, while more expensive, greatly reduces the chances of a sewer spill.

And of course you know that a site contaminated by a bad spill can't be rented out for several days, while everything is cleaned up and dries out . . . . .

Good luck with your park!!
Regulations would almost assuredly not allow for a recessed sewer connection especially if the park is connected to municipal services. Rainwater would infiltrate the system increasing the loads on the services. Codes that I have seen require the risers to be above the ground level.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob_nestor wrote:

I could be in a minority here, but I think the RV Campground "industry" has not taken the time to fully understand and capitalize on the attraction of overnite camping at places like Walmart. McKinney is on a heavily traveled highway (US-75) for campers headed south for the winter and north for the summer. There aren't a lot of good places for them to stay for the night in and around McKinney. As a Boondocker Welcome Host I've had a lot of campers stop in for a night on their travels thru the area, and I'm one of the few BW Hosts in this area.

My suggestion would be to consider an option for over-nighters - maybe away from the rest of your sites, but with greatly reduced prices and possibly electric as an option. Having a common spot for dumping tanks and filling with fresh water for them would be nice too. How one would get the word out and advertise this would be a bit of a challenge, but I suspect that after a short time the word-of-mouth advertising would kick in.
The Walmarts of the world are free. An RV Park cannot compete with free, it competes with services. There is no easy or customer friendly way to offer services to some guests and no services to others. That guy who takes a highly discounted site with no services or electric only is probably also going to want to dump, fill his water tank, let his kids play on the park's recreational equipment, take the dog to the dog run, use the Wifi, maybe use the restrooms and perhaps even take a long, hot shower. Putting coded locks on everything makes it a pain in the rumpus for the full priced guests and likely will just frustrate the cheap one. Plus, who wouldn't open a door or gate for someone who "forgot" the code. Turning the park staff into mini prison guards checking IDs at every turn wouldn't work either.
A very low priced option would probably cost the park revenue. There would be many guests who would normally pay the full fare, but see that cheapo sites are available and take them instead. Revenue would fall even if occupancy went up slightly. A park would much rather have 50 guests paying $50 a night ($2500.00) than have 60 guests with 40 paying the full fare and the other 20 paying $20.00 ($2400.00) More revenue with less expenses is good for profits. And I would bet that you actually wouldn't get those 10 extra guests from Walmart and the like with a $20.00 rate, because you are still $20.00 more expensive than free.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Space, make the lots large

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well you got a lot of good advice ,just remember you can,t please everybody , hope things go great for you. p.s send me a note when you open the gate.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perform a thorough economic/risk analysis of what your considering. I suspect a successful RV park takes a significant capital investment and many years to develop sufficient clientele to even break even let alone recoup your capital investment. Social media pretty much ruins many start up enterprises who start off on the wrong foot. And running a successful RV park probably means giving up camping/vacations until the business is on sound footing. We have a few RV park owners on this forum and I would urge you PM them seeking their advice.

Kevin

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

Sites spread out far enough, or at least arranged in a way so you don't feel like you're staring at the back of your neighbor's RV.

I would also appreciate a fenced dog park so the dogs could go run around off-leash.

Also, not sure this exists in any RV park but we would love an "adults" area... meaning no kids around in a certain part of the park. Or at least put the kid friendly stuff at one end.

x2

55+ Adult only section.

Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kernville, TX has a great set up.

Limit number of people on each site to 6. Limit number of dogs. If they are having a big get together, a party, or Rally, must use a Pavilion and not disturb the rest of the neighboring sites.

I'm only 37 so no 55+.... just no kids LOL

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

wanderingdawgs

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Large sites with space between you and your neighbor, preferable with landscaping between sites.

A picnic table at each site!! We hate pulling into a nice campground and not having a picnic table at our site.

Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the advice above is great. And some of it (mine, especially) displays ignorance. Westernparkrvowner correctly observes that a recessed sewer opening is a hazard in the rain. OOPS! Sorry.

But having said that, I am sure that I have seen recessed sewer openings at dump stations. The little basin around the opening has a one inch curb to thwart the rain runoff. Would that be a problem in an RV park?

I am displaying my ignorance here!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing in your favor. RV parks in this area seem to stay full to near full year round. Since this is not a real tourist destination I assume most are permanent or long term residents.
The RV park on 75 in Melissa just north of McKinney appears to be always full.
A new RV park recently built on 380 east of McKinney between Farmersville and Greenville began filling up quickly.
There are numerous smaller RV parks on various other highways and farm to market roads around McKinney that seem to stay full to mostly full.
Must be a lot of demand in the area. Locating on US 75 would give access to the transient traffic thru the area plus access to the more permanent customers in the area.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to many parks over the years and the one 'normal' park (besides luxury resorts) that comes to mind is Mustang Run just west of Oklahoma City, OK, off of I-40.

The park has concrete roads with level concrete pads, no large trees, pull-through sites along with back-in's. This park is perfect in my opinion. They also have a large office with a gathering area for groups.

Check it out!
MM.

* This post was edited 10/25/19 07:51pm by Mr.Mark *

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building RV park near McKinney TX, what would you want most?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.