Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sale of Direct TV to Dish TV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sale of Direct TV to Dish TV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

Streaming doesn't work very well without good internet. DSL is sometimes OK if it doesn't rain. Cable only goes to the city or in town and no company has cell service everywhere. Many of us have no cell service at all. I'm lucky that I have it in one room.

How would rain affect DSL?

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can add is that I've had it with Direct. Soon, I'll either go to Dish or rely on Streaming which probably in the long run will limit my TV watching...But that's OK Too!!!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I have said before million's of customers are leaving sat/cable TV every year, streaming is the new better way.

Don't waste your money on a fancy new satellite equipment for your RV cause it soon will be junk..

18 months sat/cable TV will roll over and die..

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are a long time DirectTv customer call them to lower the bill. I’m a 19 year customer. Ask for “customer retention” If you get a hold of an idiot, it’s easy to tell, try again. Tell them you want the same deal they are giving new customers. My $138 bill was cut to $78. You have to call every year to re-up it. I’m in my second year. When they quit doing that I’ll start shopping like everyone else.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as streaming, I've down loaded hours of Netflix programming to my phone or tablet at home to watch at a later time. I access netflix thru my Fios router at home to download content. Then when I'm on the road, at the car dealership getting my truck serviced, sitting at The doctors office waiting or at The DMV waiting, etc, I can watch my down loaded content. The content is stored directly to my 128GB micro SD cards. You have to keep the device logged in to your Netflix account in order to watch the content stored on the device. You can even watch the stored content even if you lose your cell phone signal as long as long as the device was logged in to your Netflix account.

Due to licensing agreements Netflix has with content providers there is a limit to the number of TV episodes or movies owned buy each provider you can download at one time. I'll download is many of each TV series that I can along with several movies. This is also limited by the size of my micro SD card. But I can download hours of programming until I get to a new destination with Wi-Fi or free Wi-Fi where I can download more.

I haven't accessed free Wi-Fi while traveling so that I can download more Netflix content, but I will be getting a cheap tablet dedicated solely for downloading streaming content. I will not use that tablet to access anything else that might compromise personal information.

Spacecowboy7

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Direct tv used to have great customer service, prior to ATT, hopefully they will be sold to someone better.

Spacecowboy7

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been with Direct tv since the early 90’s, it a shame how poorly AT&T has run them since acquiring them years ago.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Like I have said before million's of customers are leaving sat/cable TV every year, streaming is the new better way.

Don't waste your money on a fancy new satellite equipment for your RV cause it soon will be junk..

18 months sat/cable TV will roll over and die..

[emoticon]

You HAVE been saying this same 18 months "prediction" for the last THREE or more YEARS.. That IS much more than the supposed "18 months" of your predictions and is a moving target for you to troll with..

So, you have a chip on your shoulder with Sat TV vendors, get over it and move on.. Sat TV has and WILL still be very valid way of getting TV for now and MANY more years..

There are way to many places which do not have streaming capability Internet or ZERO Internet and it will continue that way until the day you or most anyone of age that can read right now die.

There simply is not sufficient Internet infrastructure to cover 100% of the entire world to make your fantasy posts a reality.

I live in a rural area, DSL is the cheapest way to get Internet for me, 1.5 Mbps for $25 a month (grandfathered unlimited).

Cable in my area 10 Mbps LIMITED to ONE GB per month costs $130 and goes up from there.. Cable also has a "heel", the more subscribers using the Internet the SLOWER the ENTIRE cable loop gets.

Cell coverage in my area is weak at best and the absolute best deal I can find for the one single service provider in my area is $40 per month for LTE3 speed and 1 GB full speed a month CAP then throttled well under my current DSL..

My DSL speed just barely supports ONE PC streaming SD video and even that buffers sometimes, I could not imagine attempting to stream HD video.

And I feel lucky, many places simply do not have DSL, cable or even cell coverage all at the same time.

For your rant to be a workable solution there WOULD have to be a 100% WIRELESS Internet carrier solution which is LOW COST OR FREE AND UNLIMITED.

I say give your "rant" a rest and butt out..

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wild Bill 888 wrote:

Can’t wait for Elon to get his world wide sat network up. He has some up now and has applied for permits for 30,000 small low altitude sats.I figure he can get about 4 Billion customers. At an average $10 / mo that’s an income of 40 Billion/mo, not bad, I’ll be happy to pay it and say goodbye to Dish.

4 billion customers? I don't think so. StarLink's main customers will be financial markets who will pay through the nose for shorter Internet access times.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not exactly a fan of Mega-Merger Mainia. but if DISH buys DIREC Well... ONE satellite provider (Yes I know there's a new company coming on line but are they up to competition level yet?)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sale of Direct TV to Dish TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.