cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Okay,this is for hauling a truck camper only and what a new guy should get when going to buy a truck camper..

Here is a pretty honest opinion of the pro's and con's of both and yes,he has a truck camper..Northern lite 10-2

2WD vs 4WD with TC only

Do you "Really Need" a 4X4 with a truck camper?..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
219 REPLIES 219

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Okay,this is for hauling a truck camper only and what a new guy should get when going to buy a truck camper..

Here is a pretty honest opinion of the pro's and con's of both and yes,he has a truck camper..Northern lite 10-2

2WD vs 4WD with TC only

No such animal in Australia anymore all 4x4's. TC's placed on car/ truck Utes were 2WD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My brother has 1/4 mile of steep gravel road and than another 1/4 mile of dirt driveway going to his house.
So he is driving AWD vehicles year around, while after heavy snowfall, he leaves the car at main road and walks 1/2 mile to his house.
That said, I am driving to his house with my RWD set just fine. Just not in the winter.
Point is that with daily commuter, you don't have much choices and this way, or the other sooner or later you will lose to weather.
With TC you do have a choice.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
trying to visualize Jim's driveway, I have to say he really needs 4x4 for snow season.

Think opposite and 1/4 mile and gravel. :). We had unusual snow last year, but that driveway is close to wife's uncle's although it's asphalt and the flat is longer on top.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
trying to visualize Jim's driveway, I have to say he really needs 4x4 for snow season.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
When I was looking for a camper hauler,I was after a 4WD but they were priced out of my range for a good one,

One of the problems with buying a used 4WD is the price they think it's worth and just how's hard was it used in 4X4, especially around here... You would think they were made out of gold for the price there asking for a high mileage unit, especially for a diesel..

Slipped up. There’s the answer. You wanted one but didn’t want to pay for it.

Last year, I put my truck in 4x4 to go up my driveway with TC on. So, I’d say, there’s one place. 😄

But also, my wife’s aunt/uncles and the hilly part of Olympia with deep wet snow.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Ferrari for 60 mph driving comparison.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jimh425..Where are you going to take your big heavy TC that I can't take mine?

The answer is...Nowhere...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
And I couldn't agree more about low range... Used to be granny gear solved that problem but they don't do grannie's anymore..lol

When I was looking for a camper hauler,I was after a 4WD but they were priced out of my range for a good one, not hot rodded or after marketed to death...I found my current DRW that was in excellent shape at a good price from an old guy that used to haul a 10 footer and low mileage... Drove it around and bought it knowing I was never going to take it where a full sized truck camper should never go without breaking axles and such, so it was a done deal.

One of the problems with buying a used 4WD is the price they think it's worth and just how's hard was it used in 4X4, especially around here... You would think they were made out of gold for the price there asking for a high mileage unit, especially for a diesel..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
For some reason, jaycocreek and kayteg1 think some posts (and theirs) have more weight than others.

The reality is we all know why 4x4s exist, and we all know they have more traction even if jaycocreek and kayteg1 are driving. If they can go in pretty bad stuff, they can go in even worse conditions with 4x4.

Also, there are very few people who only use their truck when a truck camper is on it. Even many here regularly take their TCs off, so they can drive other roads. So, saying offroaders don’t need one is bogus. It’s the wrong question, so the answer was irrelevent.

If you don’t want a 4x4, that’s fine. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have superior traction. It just means you don’t want one.

But hey, let’s go for a few more pages. 😄

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

There's really only one answer and its no, you don't need 4wd with a truck camper.

I didn't read Ralph's report and I'm not going to.

I wont own a 2wd truck, I see no reason to.

The single biggest advantage that 4wd has over 2wd with a truck camper is having low range. Especially when the truck is equipped with an auto trans.

No I'm not hauling my camper.

I will NEVER own a 2wd pickup. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most places in the West, there are few 2wd trucks around.
There is a good reason for that trend.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
There is a ton of opinions out there on 2WD vs 4WD here are just a couple for those that think a 4WD is needed..

I live in B.C. Canada, and 4 wheel drive trucks are common. I still think they are a luxury unless you go off-roading. Over here, I use my 4x2 for everything. In the winter, there are only about 2 days where you need a 4x4 to get around. Yes, it snows, but diving slow and careful with a loaded bed and an LSD does wonders (Plus our snow crews are really good here) I originally wanted to get a 4x4 for off-roading purposes and made an excuse that it would be better in bad weather. However, I could not justify the extra price in paying for a 4x4. So far, I have owned my 4x2 for 3 years, and have only had one problem. I wish I had 4x4 then. I tried to climb a mud hill and it didn't work. I got winched out for 35 bucks. That still does not justify the 7 grand I would have paid extra for the 4x4 (I got a real good dea on the 4x2). Just about all my friends have 4x4's. We go off-roading with
them. However, when the real badass hauling come around, or heavy driving rolls to come, It's always me on the block. Due to their configuration, their trucks dont' handle as well as mine does, espcially on windy highways, or hauling things around even. With LSD, you'd be surprised how much this truck can do, but don't mistake it for a 4x4, because it defenitely does not haev the capabilities of a 4x4. It however poses other advantages over a 4x4

I have owned a Mazda truck for about 9 years (over 200,000 miles) and it is 2wd. I have driven in all kinds of weather and I hauled a bed-full of furniture from Clarksville Tenn. to Charlotte NC--no problem. I think having 4wd is good but it can get some people in over their head (if the forecast is calling for a blizzard--stay home--a beer run is not worth risking your life). Besides, if you don't go off-roading 4wd is pretty much a waste. It's like having a Ferrari and never doing more than 60mph.

And my personal favorite for our 1% here on this forum..LOL

who doesn't have the natural ability to drive in adverse conditions. I have driven in the snow belt of upstate New York, where we get more snow than anywhere else in the US outside of the western mountains for 49 years, and have never had a problem getting around with 2WD vehicles. My present truck is a 98 Dodge Quad SB and it does just fine thank you. My thought is that the manufactureres have done a great job of convincing younger crowd that they need 4WD if it rains, and the public has taken the bait.
To you guys who actually do go off road and slog through the mud and the muck, you don't have to remind me that you have an actual need for a 4x4. The rest of you who commute with a 4x4, too bad you don't know how to drive.

All in fun huh!
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
When I read Ralph’s post it sounds like he didn’t have 4x4. His rear diff high centered but no mention of the front which looked to be on smoother ground. I’m guessing it would have walked right out with the front end powered, kind of blowing your case.

Did you read something different?

You may be right,it just looks like a 4X4 but I could be wrong..There is no case,I am just saying to the new owner of a TC looking for a pickup,he has choices..4WD is not for everyone with a truck camper..

This person say's it much better than I can..

“I do not currently have a four-wheel drive truck for my camper rig, but I have two other four-wheel drive vehicles and many years of experience off-roading. I believe four-wheel drive could be very useful for certain truck camping situations, but there are some significant factors that anyone new to four-wheel drive trucks should consider before loading on a very large truck camper.

1. As mentioned, payload differences are often significantly different due to the weight and configuration of the four-wheel drive options.

2. A four-wheel drive truck is usually taller than its two wheel drive counterpart, even when loaded. That puts the rig center of gravity higher, and thus affects handling more than a two-wheel drive truck.

3. The typical off-road style aggressive tires are often not high load range tires, and may wear very quickly when carrying a truck camper. For highway driving with maximum payload, regular load range E tires are usually a better solution.

4. People who are experienced with four-wheel drive may be lulled into complacency by their unloaded experience and take a truck loaded with a camper into situations where it encounters what they would consider a minor amount of side slope. But, with a camper loaded, the truck’s center of gravity is now much higher than it was before, and a hill or rut that caused no problem unloaded could cause a tip over of the loaded truck.

5. Trying to go off-road with one of the larger campers and encountering dips or frame twist situations could result in damage to the truck or camper before you know it. In the case of my Bigfoot, the most likely source of damage would be the rear overhang which greatly changes the departure angle. It would be very easy to drag it on a transition or dip that, in unloaded form, you would never think twice about crossing.

6. Getting stuck in an off-road scenario could be much more interesting with an extra 4,000 pounds in the bed of the truck. Creative jacking and tow strap solutions could be required. The camper jacks themselves have been used successfully by some folks in these situations, but you have to have a strong camper.

7. Finally, the height of the rig can be a major impediment to off-roading. In forested areas some of the trails will not have clearance for 11+ foot tall rigs. On many four-wheel drive trails I have driven, it would be possible to get into spots where you could not go forward due to height obstruction, and could not turn around due to trail width. This could result in backing up a long way in the worst case scenario. ??For happy off-roading with a truck camper, the owner would probably be best off with a lighter and smaller rig that has minimal rear projection. One of the pop-up types is probably ideal. I would not hesitate to off-road with one and, in fact, my next truck camper will probably be a four-wheel drive truck with that type of rig.” – XXXX, 1997 Dodge Ram 3500, two-wheel drive truck, 1997 Bigfoot 2500 10.6

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The way I read Ralph's story, he drove RWD truck with camper 70 miles on dirt roads into desert and did not feel need for 4WD.
He paid for not assessing the road in 1 spot and that's all.
The most offroading I ever did with my camper was 25 miles on gravel road. Besides spots for camping that I did not have to take, but I did.
Now would I really go into mud roads with camper, I would get Unimog.
No 4x4 truck with camper will become dirt roads vehicle.