Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sliding-into-home wrote:

4wd doesn't remove the chain requirement in OR (and WA too I think) if you're over 10k GVWR. That said, I haven't seen anyone pulled over or ticketed for driving a camper in a chains required zone with 4wd and traction tires.

It’s GVW not GVWR. Back to my point of needing a truck without truck camper, law or not, almost all trucks are under 10K GVW unless you are hauling a significant load.

I don’t know about you, but I’d just wait until it is better weather since I can’t think of any reason why I need to go through a pass when a signifiant storm is occuring with truck camper or other heavy load.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, honestly, I travelled all over BC, Texas, Alaska, east to Newfoundland, many trips to Arizona, all with camper on 2 w/d truck, and never an issue. Drove in snow at times too.....however, this was never off road travel....When I bought a trailer I decided I might need 4x4 just for backing into some soft ground camping spots, or towing in snow if I got caught getting over a pass....this proved to be a good thing as 4x4 did save my butt a couple of times with the trailer.....now I into a camper again with 4x4 truck and honestly, only use it for climbing up onto blocks when leveling at camping spot.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sliding-into-home wrote:

4wd doesn't remove the chain requirement in OR (and WA too I think) if you're over 10k GVWR. That said, I haven't seen anyone pulled over or ticketed for driving a camper in a chains required zone with 4wd and traction tires.

Made me look..LOL

Non-commercial vehicles and trailers, RVs, etc.
Vehicle, trailer and load combinations that are under 10,000 pounds must follow regular chain requirements. Vehicle, trailer and load combinations that are more than 10,000 pounds must chain up when "chains required" is posted - even if 4WD/AWD. Consult Commercial vehicles chain requirements for chain placement - which is required based on weight not type of vehicle.

So having a 4X4 makes absolutely no difference in chain requirements hauling a Truck Camper,if I understood that right..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

GAR2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking on behalf of the truck alone, I have never met anyone who has said “I wish I had bought a 2WD”. I have met dozens of people who have said “I wish I had held out for a 4WD”. I grew up in small rural USA and live in a rural community- As others here have already said I think it’s about the “truck” and your lifestyle.

In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

That's kinda a missed conception about truck campers and hunting..Once you go so big with a truck camper,you are very limited on where you can go with it..If you have a pop-up TC,then you can go about anywhere with it and 4X4 would be necessary probably,to take full advantage of the unit..

We were at Henry's Lake a month ago and it was already snowing there. We drove the county road around the back side of the lake and saw lots of hardside TC's camping in "non-developed" campsites. If I lived in a western state, 2wd or 4wd would be a VERY easy decision for me. OOMV. [emoticon]

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GAR2 wrote:

Speaking on behalf of the truck alone, I have never met anyone who has said “I wish I had bought a 2WD”. I have met dozens of people who have said “I wish I had held out for a 4WD”. I grew up in small rural USA and live in a rural community- As others here have already said I think it’s about the “truck” and your lifestyle.

Ditto. The two DRWs I've owned would get stuck on wet grass in my yard in 2wd. With all the weight of that big motor over the front tires, rear wheel traction is minimal.

bradw

Sliding-into-home

PDX

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Sliding-into-home wrote:

It’s GVW not GVWR. Back to my point of needing a truck without truck camper, law or not, almost all trucks are under 10K GVW unless you are hauling a significant load.

I don’t know about you, but I’d just wait until it is better weather since I can’t think of any reason why I need to go through a pass when a signifiant storm is occuring with truck camper or other heavy load.

Yes, GVW. My mistake.

And yes, wait if you can. I use my TC almost exclusively for skiing, so being forced to drive mountain passes during significant snow storms is what I hope for. My kid does ski team too, so I have to go no matter the weather.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I started shopping for a truck and camper combination, I really wanted a 4x4 but I came across a deal that was too good to pass up though and it was 2WD. In retrospect, I think I'm pretty happy with going 2WD, especially on the 7.3. I get the gentler coil over suspension up front instead of leaf springs plus a better gearing ratio for highway cruising and I also gain a few hundred pounds in payload capacity.

As I'm contemplating purchasing an Expedition Max (expanding family) I'm faced with the same dilemma. We will be purchasing used so this decision might be made for me just based on what is available. If I had my choice though, I think I would prefer to get the 4WD but with the gearing of the 2WD (I don't think this is possible). I get why they put lower gearing on the 4WD but the loss in MPG over the life of the vehicle I don't think justifies the one or two times in a lifetime most people might need that extra low gearing ratio.

In California, I think 4WD is more of an option than a necessity. Our weather is so mild on the coast and valley that it is unnecessary in my opinion. The only reason I am contemplating 4WD for the Expedition is for the few times we might be in the Sierras during the winter coming over a mountain pass. Rare if at all but still, if I'm spending the money, might as well be prepared.

In regards to the 7.3 that is 2WD and carries the camper, I've been to Pismo Beach many times now and only got stuck the first time I went. All the others I just air down to 15-20 psi and I have not had a problem yet. As someone else already said, a camper isn't optimal for the types of off-road conditions that might really require 4WD.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Sorry, but that is not correct....
GVW =Gross Vehicle Weight. This is what my vehicle weighs at any given time according to how it is loaded. This is not known by anyone without driving over a scale.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is what is on the manufacturer door post sticker weight rating for my vehicle. This is the rating posted on the road signs. This would be the only reference figures a LEO could use. They have no way of knowing my GVW unless they had a portable road scale.

Sliding-into-home

PDX

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, but that is not correct....
GVW =Gross Vehicle Weight. This is what my vehicle weighs at any given time according to how it is loaded. This is not known by anyone without driving over a scale.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is what is on the manufacturer door post sticker weight rating for my vehicle. This is the rating posted on the road signs. This would be the only reference figures a LEO could use. They have no way of knowing my GVW unless they had a portable road scale.

GVW is actually what the letter of the law says in Oregon.

https://oregon.public.law/rules/oar_734-017-0015

(edit: I think they're still maybe referring to GVWR with the phrase "rated gross vehicle weight."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.