Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim had me going with his legend till he made the boat ramp issue.
I've been launching boats with motorhomes, bus conversions, RWD Chevy vans (who actually suck on everything, but size) , RWD flatbeds, and traction was never issue.
I recall slight issue with FWD Volkswagen pickup, but still manageable.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

You should ell your friend in the video to lift the plow when they back up.

I don't know the guy from Adam but I assume he was back blading,a normal thing in plowing and grading,sometimes..I back blade our driveway quite alot saving on the amount of piles in the yard.And back blading makes for a nice smooth surface..

His 16-1700# in the rear of his 2WD DRW certainly mimics a small pop up or Lance type TC on that 2WD DRW..Traction was not an issue as the video shows..

He also said they were having some plow issues,that could also be why he didn't raise the blade..Hydraulics in the cold can really raise havoc sometimes..

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I've been launching boats with motorhomes, bus conversions, RWD Chevy vans (who actually suck on everything, but size) , RWD flatbeds, and traction was never issue.

There are big tide changes in Puget Sound. I’ve seen more than one vehicle stuck on the ramp because of algae or mud on retrieval. Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Usually, someone feels sorry for them and hooks a chain/tow strap to their front.

BTW, also happens on rivers and lakes. Try a search for vehicle stuck on boat ramp. Some ramps are extremely steep as well.

Fwiw, it was all true, but I don’t know if you should believe me since it is the internet ...

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

There are big tide changes in Puget Sound. I’ve seen more than one vehicle stuck on the ramp because of algae or mud on retrieval. Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Usually, someone feels sorry for them and hooks a chain/tow strap to their front.

BTW, also happens on rivers and lakes. Try a search for vehicle stuck on boat ramp. Some ramps are extremely steep as well.

Fwiw, it was all true, but I don’t know if you should believe me since it is the internet ...

Also add to that the ramps that have a series of concrete bars with gravel in between below the water level. I saw a RWD truck stuck between those until they removed the boat, pulled forward some and then re-loaded. Not all boat ramps are in the desert where the water gets low enough to pave a nice ramp well into the water.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, now you guys have me convinced.
Next truck I buy will have to be 4x4 only becouse maybe in 5, maybe in 10 years I might launch my boat at low water that is below concrete ramp slab.
Screw the big thousands dollars the option will cost me till the time.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

OK, now you guys have me convinced.
Next truck I buy will have to be 4x4 only becouse maybe in 5, maybe in 10 years I might launch my boat at low water that is below concrete ramp slab.

Again, not big thousands. Besides, your truck should be good for a while, and as I noted, I’m pretty sure someone will pull you out. You should probably bring a tow strap with you. [emoticon]

Besides, there’s probably not a lot tide changes in Nevada.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

LMAO!!!!!!

What "big thousands dollars" are you referring to?

In the state that I live in the "big thousands dollars" that will cost you is when you try and sell a 2wd pickup. You wont get squat for it.

Nobody here wants one because they are useless in the snow and just bout any other adverse weather conditions without putting chains on or some other traction devise.

I would much rather reach over and pull back on a lever than stop, get out and install a set of tire chains.

200,000 miles on my pickup and I have not put one single penny into any 4wd drive train components.

I've watched numerous 2wd trucks struggle trying to get their boat out of the water.

Don't want one, don't buy one. I didn't want a 2wd pickup and never will own another one.

A lot of people get by just fine with a 2wd pickup an that's great. I'm happy they work great for you.

Camper or no camper a 2wd pickup truck does not have the same capabilities that a 4wd pick up does. They never have and they never will.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

200,000 miles on my pickup and I have not put one single penny into any 4wd drive train components.

Might wanna service them once in a while..Just sayin'...LOL

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Since 1981, I've owned 8 new 4x4 trucks and jeeps. I've never spent a single nickel on a 4x4 driveline related repair on any of them.

I also have a highly modified TJ which I have spent a small fortune on......but that is another story. [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I mentioned earlier,I am not anti 4WD..I have two in the driveway,a Yamaha Rhino in the garage and a Chevy HD 2500 that is here most of the time..None of them are camper toters for how I use a TC..

The point of this thread was do you need 4X4 with a truck camper on?..I have not seen one picture of a 4X4 with a heavy TC on anywhere I could take my 2WD DRW..Kaytegs was the closest but he did it in 2WD...

Why,because these big/heavy and wide truck campers are not meant to be off roading..They make the front end lite going up a grade and are to wide to maneuver in the mountains..

I have seen DJ's trip on the Magruder road,awesome but I have taken my truck and TC on the same road,4X4 is not necessary and 4 Low certainly has it's perks but with my 4:10's and super engine compression,I do just fine and I am not tippy on side hills and narrower than any of the new truck campers..

So show me a picture of a 4X4 with a hardsided truck camper somewhere anyone with a 2WD DRW can't (shouldn't) go besides the sand(Not much around here)LOL

I also have never had any 4X4 drivetrain expenses including the two older ones in my yard.

I put my 8'6" Lance on this and drove around the block and took it right off..It was a fun truck though but not a TC toter for sure..LOL

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.