Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Do you "Really Need" a 4X4 with a truck camper?..

There's really only one answer and its no, you don't need 4wd with a truck camper.

I didn't read Ralph's report and I'm not going to.

I wont own a 2wd truck, I see no reason to.

The single biggest advantage that 4wd has over 2wd with a truck camper is having low range. Especially when the truck is equipped with an auto trans.

[image]

No I'm not hauling my camper.

I will NEVER own a 2wd pickup. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some reason, jaycocreek and kayteg1 think some posts (and theirs) have more weight than others.

The reality is we all know why 4x4s exist, and we all know they have more traction even if jaycocreek and kayteg1 are driving. If they can go in pretty bad stuff, they can go in even worse conditions with 4x4.

Also, there are very few people who only use their truck when a truck camper is on it. Even many here regularly take their TCs off, so they can drive other roads. So, saying offroaders don’t need one is bogus. It’s the wrong question, so the answer was irrelevent.

If you don’t want a 4x4, that’s fine. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have superior traction. It just means you don’t want one.

But hey, let’s go for a few more pages. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I couldn't agree more about low range... Used to be granny gear solved that problem but they don't do grannie's anymore..lol

When I was looking for a camper hauler,I was after a 4WD but they were priced out of my range for a good one, not hot rodded or after marketed to death...I found my current DRW that was in excellent shape at a good price from an old guy that used to haul a 10 footer and low mileage... Drove it around and bought it knowing I was never going to take it where a full sized truck camper should never go without breaking axles and such, so it was a done deal.

One of the problems with buying a used 4WD is the price they think it's worth and just how's hard was it used in 4X4, especially around here... You would think they were made out of gold for the price there asking for a high mileage unit, especially for a diesel..

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Jimh425..Where are you going to take your big heavy TC that I can't take mine?

The answer is...Nowhere...

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the Ferrari for 60 mph driving comparison.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

When I was looking for a camper hauler,I was after a 4WD but they were priced out of my range for a good one,

One of the problems with buying a used 4WD is the price they think it's worth and just how's hard was it used in 4X4, especially around here... You would think they were made out of gold for the price there asking for a high mileage unit, especially for a diesel..

Slipped up. There’s the answer. You wanted one but didn’t want to pay for it.

Last year, I put my truck in 4x4 to go up my driveway with TC on. So, I’d say, there’s one place. [emoticon]

But also, my wife’s aunt/uncles and the hilly part of Olympia with deep wet snow.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trying to visualize Jim's driveway, I have to say he really needs 4x4 for snow season.

[image]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

trying to visualize Jim's driveway, I have to say he really needs 4x4 for snow season.

Think opposite and 1/4 mile and gravel. [emoticon]. We had unusual snow last year, but that driveway is close to wife's uncle's although it's asphalt and the flat is longer on top.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother has 1/4 mile of steep gravel road and than another 1/4 mile of dirt driveway going to his house.
So he is driving AWD vehicles year around, while after heavy snowfall, he leaves the car at main road and walks 1/2 mile to his house.
That said, I am driving to his house with my RWD set just fine. Just not in the winter.
Point is that with daily commuter, you don't have much choices and this way, or the other sooner or later you will lose to weather.
With TC you do have a choice.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Okay,this is for hauling a truck camper only and what a new guy should get when going to buy a truck camper..

Here is a pretty honest opinion of the pro's and con's of both and yes,he has a truck camper..Northern lite 10-2

2WD vs 4WD with TC only

Do you "Really Need" a 4X4 with a truck camper?..

No such animal in Australia anymore all 4x4's. TC's placed on car/ truck Utes were 2WD
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.