Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Ditto. The two DRWs I've owned would get stuck on wet grass in my yard in 2wd. With all the weight of that big motor over the front tires, rear wheel traction is minimal.

bradw

I here that a lot but honestly,I have never had that happen infact,just the opposite when compared to my son's Chevy HD 2500 4X4 in 2WD..I can get around better than he can with both in 2WD..

I don't know if it's the tires/size or having 4 instead of 2..My tires are the 215/85/16 and it seems most other DRW's are larger diameter giving less room between the duallies..

When I first got my 2WD DRW I went just out of town to the ski area in snow with the TC loaded during hunting season..I slid pretty good and I was really worried about my choice of a 2WD DRW..

I quickly went to the local Les Schwabs and had them sipe my Cooper AT3 tires..They were new when I bought the truck and did not want to buy new tires..Once siped,the next day I went to the same spot up the hill,still snow covered and icy...Never did slide again...

A Night and Day difference with siped tires..I know they don't last as long with aggressive siping but the weather will get my tires before mileage does..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sliding-into-home wrote:

Z-Peller wrote:

Quote:

It’s GVW not GVWR. Back to my point of needing a truck without truck camper, law or not, almost all trucks are under 10K GVW unless you are hauling a significant load.

Sorry, but that is not correct....
GVW =Gross Vehicle Weight. This is what my vehicle weighs at any given time according to how it is loaded. This is not known by anyone without driving over a scale.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is what is on the manufacturer door post sticker weight rating for my vehicle. This is the rating posted on the road signs. This would be the only reference figures a LEO could use. They have no way of knowing my GVW unless they had a portable road scale.

GVW is actually what the letter of the law says in Oregon.

https://oregon.public.law/rules/oar_734-017-0015

(edit: I think they're still maybe referring to GVWR with the phrase "rated gross vehicle weight."

In WA, it is based on your registered GVWR: https://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Well, honestly, I travelled all over BC, Texas, Alaska, east to Newfoundland, many trips to Arizona, all with camper on 2 w/d truck, and never an issue. Drove in snow at times too.....however, this was never off road travel....When I bought a trailer I decided I might need 4x4 just for backing into some soft ground camping spots, or towing in snow if I got caught getting over a pass....this proved to be a good thing as 4x4 did save my butt a couple of times with the trailer.....now I into a camper again with 4x4 truck and honestly, only use it for climbing up onto blocks when leveling at camping spot.

Good post, having used your TC with both 2WD and 4WD and by the way,that Bigfoot 10.4 is #1 on my list for my last truck camper to ever buy.The wife even likes it..LOL

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I give up. I now believe a 2wd drw truck is the perfect choice for you going elk hunting in the winter in Idaho while towing a trailer. Perfect choice. Carry on men! [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Do you "Really Need" a 4X4 with a truck camper?..

Do you really want to save $1000+- on a $60,000 truck?

Cal

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

Ok, I give up. I now believe a 2wd drw truck is the perfect choice for you going elk hunting in the winter in Idaho while towing a trailer. Perfect choice. Carry on men! [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

bradw

I don't think you understand..You can only go so far with a big truck and camper or even a small TT..4X4 is no benefit to get to the main camp where you hunt from.We do not road hunt..Dump the TC(I don't) and yes,then a 4X4 would be the choice but I use a Yamaha Rhino so I don't have to worry about scratching or denting up a pickup..You certainly would not take your new pickup where I take the Rhino and I wouldn't take my '94 there either..

You can only go so far in a pickup..You cannot get into the places I go to hunt with any pickup truck,just to camp and as close to where you hunt..My wife can take our mini van to hunting camp and often does so I can stay longer so 2WD vs 4WD is just not an issue to where I go..

I prefer a TC over a small TT simply because I can turn around anywhere vs backing out..

Horses are the perfect choice for Elk hunting Idaho but I gave those up a few years ago..Now the Yamaha Rhino is my perfect choice for old age..

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Quote:

It’s GVW not GVWR. Back to my point of needing a truck without truck camper, law or not, almost all trucks are under 10K GVW unless you are hauling a significant load.

Sorry, but that is not correct....
GVW =Gross Vehicle Weight. This is what my vehicle weighs at any given time according to how it is loaded. This is not known by anyone without driving over a scale.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is what is on the manufacturer door post sticker weight rating for my vehicle. This is the rating posted on the road signs. This would be the only reference figures a LEO could use. They have no way of knowing my GVW unless they had a portable road scale.

Not sure what you are saying is incorrect since you seem to be agreeing with me. [emoticon]. I didn’t say LEO could figure it out, but it’s the rule any way. Signs are also mostly for commercial vehicles which our passenger trucks aren’t in many states.

The Washington reference is here.Tire Chain Rules from wsdot.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

In WA, it is based on your registered GVWR: https://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

Well, yes and no. As noted on the other post, who knows how they are going to tell how much you weigh. My guess is it probably isn’t going to matter unless you wreck or get stuck on the interstate.

I’m just glad they make it clear. [emoticon]. Here’s another Washington reference.
https://www.wsdot.com/winter/tires-chains.htm.

4WD/AWD and chains

4WD/AWD vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) do not need chains installed during "chains required" notices, but drivers still must carry chains with them in case conditions worsen and they're required to install chains during a "chains required on all vehicles" notice.

Non-commercial vehicles and trailers, RVs, etc.

Vehicle, trailer and load combinations that are under 10,000 pounds must follow regular chain requirements. Vehicle, trailer and load combinations that are more than 10,000 pounds must chain up when "chains required" is posted - even if 4WD/AWD. Consult Commercial vehicles chain requirements for chain placement - which is required based on weight not type of vehicle.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to toss in a few decades of camping and truck experience. At one point, we owned 2wd truck, HAHA, in Los Angeles. Went camping on easy roads as well ...

Then upgraded our attitude about camping, bought a 4x4 and began actually camping and getting into the beautiful back-country. We've been "nearly stuck" a few times, actually a lot of times, because of where we would camp, not due to camper or roads.

I believe the type of roads and the type of camping you choose, directly impacts the choice between 2wd and 4x4, and not necessarily the camper itself. But, you can always get more places with 4x4 than you can with 2wd, and you can often help yourself out of and into interesting situations with 4x4 where with the 2wd, you don't always have those choices. Personally, we'd rather have the choices then not. We've most often had a winch on the front as well, until this last truck which also makes a difference [emoticon]

We KNOW we'd have gotten stuck in many places without 4x4 because we've had to us Low-range and 4x4 to get unstuck, but then again, if we'd have only 2wd, it's unlikely we'd have gone there anyway. It was ALWAYS worth it to go tho'...

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Not sure what you are saying is incorrect since you seem to be agreeing with me. [emoticon]. I didn’t say LEO could figure it out, but it’s the rule any way. Signs are also mostly for commercial vehicles which our passenger trucks aren’t in many states.

Just trying to clarify GVW versus GVWR is all....many people get it wrong it seems..... I carry chains in season so that I am legal in places that say chains must be carried (my GVWR is well over 10,000 though like most of the newer 3500/350 duallies, but I am just a non commercial pickup truck hauling an RV camper so interpretation of the chains law would depend on the LEO and circumstances at the time I guess )..

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.