Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't get 12v power and boondocking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can't get 12v power and boondocking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
brows827

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all - thanks again for your your comments and advice on this.

I took it out Sunday and had a similar issue - where the brakes seemed to jolt a couple times early on into my drive, and then stopped (presumably since the 12 volt breaker had tripped), since the turn signals and brake lights stopped working after that.

I got a brake controller and hitch installed on my car a couple months ago (around the time I bought the camper) since it didn't have factory wiring - is it likely that my car is the culprit, or more likely the camper? I bought it used from a trustworthy guy who I still talk to about questions/issues with it - and he never had issues like this.

I may take it back to the place who did the work on my car to get them to look at the wiring setup since the work is still under warranty.

brows827

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bumping this one.

Does it seem more likely the reason for the tripping circuit breaker is caused by my car with the new brake controller installed, or the camper?

thanks in advance - and hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you need to get some help. Brake lights on the trailer, the actual trailer brakes, and the charging circuit are separate circuits. Where do you have a 30A breaker tripping on the road?

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

brows827

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

I think you need to get some help. Brake lights on the trailer, the actual trailer brakes, and the charging circuit are separate circuits. Where do you have a 30A breaker tripping on the road?

The breaker tripping is the one a few feet away from the plug under the trailer where the positive cable comes in. The brake lights and the inside 12v electronics won't work. I believe the actual brakes work - is it possible the lights and the charging circuit are on the same circuit?

I may take it back to the people who installed the hitch and harness in my car to look at it.

brows827

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all - quick update. I took it into the place that installed the hitch, wiring harness and brake controller.

They checked and found that the fuse for the power to the camper on the wiring harness was blown, which is what was causing the issue (the other one for the brakes was not - hence the reason brakes were working).

They said the camper may have caused the fuse to blow out a while back - but just to monitor it and if it continues to happen to bring it in.

Anyway - thanks everyone for your help, and hopefully the issue has been resolved.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electrical problems, especially intermittent ones can be frustrating; Hopefully all is well now and you can enjoy some camping.

I'm curious though as to your tow vehicle. You mentioned car multiple times in your posts so I'm assuming it is in fact a car. What year make and model is it? I'm really wondering if the wiring hookup was straightforward or if it was something custom for that specific vehicle?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can't get 12v power and boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.