Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: RV Antifreeze
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Antifreeze

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

It sounds like the dealer has a vested interest in you buying his product. So maybe not the most unbiased source?

X2. A Chevy dealer won't recommend that you buy a Ford, etc..

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post shows as have 0 replies yet there are 10. What's up with that?? I'm beginning to this I'm wasting my time here.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

PapaRomeo

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone. This has been my experience as well, I just wasn't sure that maybe I was missing something important. I can't vouch for taste as I do have a "thing" about water from campgrounds - don't know it's quality or safety. So I drink bottled water. No problem. But all your information is helpful and I thank you.

PapaRomeo

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tech Tips: RV Antifreeze: Not All the Same

I'm like these folks. They verify the alcohol based products will leave a bad taste and is hard on rubber but it's supposed to be less expensive. You have to read the label to be sure what you're getting.

I've used a lot of the poly-polypropylene antifreeze since I first started RVing in the 1970s. Never had any trouble with a bad taste after flushing it out in the spring.

About 10 years ago, like the folks that wrote the article, I started using my air compressor to thoroughly blow out my water lines and never had any problems. Resuming use just means opening the faucets for a minute or two and letting the water run. I use a cup or two of used auto-antifreeze in the p-traps to ensure they don't freeze up.

Works for me, your mileage may differ. As long as your RV is exposed to freezing weather and you use one of these 3 solutions, you won't have any problems. There's only two alternatives. Store your RV in a heated space or take it to a warmer climate.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use whatever you want. He's just attempting to upsale you into buying his merchandise (twice) for the same protection to your RV you can get much cheaper somewhere else. Flush well when you unwinterize and there's no after taste. Been drinking from the fresh tank ever since we've had a camper of any kind. Before that, water storage containers, and always out of the old fashioned green garden hose. I'm still alive and kicking!

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My two cents worth here. Regardless of what the label says the alcohol-based is toxic. Look up wood alcohol and Gilly juice causing blindness. That said, the amount that is in the antifreeze is small and you will be flushing the system out anyway so it doesn't really matter about the toxicity unless you drink it.

I only use the alcohol-based in the drains and add it to the black tank in freezing weather. The only rubber there are the seals on the dump valves and I keep them greased with silicone.

Although harder to find I only use the propylene glycol which is non-toxic and will not harm the seals in the fresh water lines as the alcohol-based can strip away the oils in the rubber seals causing them to break down.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

I buy the rv antifreeze with the propylene glycol. Flush it well in the spring and no bad taste.

Same here. Have never used anything but the propylene glycol type and never an issue with taste or odor. Have heard the same thing about seals and alcohol and decided not to take the chance. Cost differential is really not a big deal.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

My two cents worth here. Regardless of what the label says the alcohol-based is toxic. Look up wood alcohol and Gilly juice causing blindness. That said, the amount that is in the antifreeze is small and you will be flushing the system out anyway so it doesn't really matter about the toxicity unless you drink it.

The alcohol used in RV antifreeze is ethanol (grain alcohol), not methanol (wood alcohol). Ethanol is what Vodka is made out of; it indeed is toxic in sufficient quantities, as deaths from drinking excessively prove, but in moderate quantities it's pretty safe, certainly so in whatever residual amount would be left after dewinterizing. Of course drinking the RV antifreeze straight up is not a good idea for many reasons.

Methanol is used as an antifreeze agent in other products, such as winter blend windshield washer fluid, and is indeed pretty toxic stuff if it gets into your body; it doesn't take a whole lot to do significant harm.

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get Quick Siver Propylene Glycol (no alchol) part number 92-M0073196 minus 50 degrees antifreeze. The boat marina where I used to moor by boat carries it. $5.79 per gallon. They also have P/N 92-0073198 which is for minus 100 degrees. $11.79 per gallon. I always used this type in my boat (when I had one) and never really thought about changing. Creature of habit I guess.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnson Baby oil is good for the seals. If you empty your black tank you can pour in enough to help the valve seals. I pour in with enough splash to get the toilet seal and when closed I pour a little to sit on top. At least it makes me feel good anyways with having a drink.

Probably vegetable oil do the same thing if you want.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Antifreeze
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.