Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: RV Antifreeze
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Antifreeze

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use compressed air to winterize, no alcohol, no bad taste, no flushing, and other than a bit of electricity it’s FREE.

Doesn’t get much better than that.

jseyfert3

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the plumbing in mine and realized if I simply opened the low point drains and all the faucets and removed the water filter and run the pump till the water was out of it, all the water would drain out of the lines and water heater and I'd be done. No compressed air, no antifreeze. No drain plug removal on the water heater, no need to isolate so antifreeze doesn't corrode the anode. I did put antifreeze in all the drains so the traps wouldn't freeze, but not the lines. Probably used a half a gallon for that.

How'd I do? Well, after a record setting -30 °F last winter, everything was undamaged except the toilet valve. Had I read the instructions for the toilet, I would see that draining the water works fine for winterizing, IF you unscrew the hose from the toilet and open the valve to let the water drain, as otherwise a backflow preventer will keep water in the valve and it will crack. Ah well, a $30 lesson.

This winter, low point drains with faucets open, water filter, run pump till dry, and remove line from toilet and everything will be good. I can probably do this faster than pumping in a bunch of antifreeze, and it's free! Plus to antifreeze to flush out later, which is good as we bought heaters for the tanks and plumbing so we could winter camp with use of water so messing with antifreeze pumping and flushing once a month would suck.

Please note my method may not work with all faucets or plumbing layouts, and may need compressed air instead. Be sure to check your toilet in particular and what it recommends for winterizing without antifreeze if you go this route.

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 30 years, I've used any anti-freeze labeled for RV and never had problems.

Jayco-noslide

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Walmart pink stuff. Poly-Prop based, works, inexpensive.

Walmarts brand is "SUPERTECH", while is the "pink stuff" it IS a mix of Poly-Prop/ETHANOL/water.

PER the SDS sheet (formerly called Material Data Sheets) found HERE

According to the SDS it contains 13% ETHANOL AND even contains 2% of METHANOL!!!

While it will prevent freeze damage, I would not wish to put it in my fresh water system considering it does contain slightly more than trace amounts of ETHANOL..

I would only use this to winterize the traps..

Right now as of my last visit a few weeks ago it IS THE ONLY "pink stuff" that WM is selling..

To be very clear, ALL "RV ANTIFREEZE" is sold as "pink stuff", that is how they differentiate between types and uses..

Do have to be aware, I have noticed that windshield washer fluid as of late comes in all kinds of colors, some pretty close resembling the "pink stuff" color so READ THE LABELS, do not depend on color only!!!

If you have ANY doubts or questions, you can easily look up the SDS sheets on the wobbly web.

Myself, I just connect my air compressor to the freshwater system and blow out the water then open all of the low point drains then when finished leave all of the faucets and low point open all winter.

Has served me well over 18 yrs of RV ownership, only lost one toilet valve and no other damage the first yr of RV ownership when I accidentally closed the shut off valve to the toilet which trapped water in the toilet valve.

Works for me, but Your mileage may vary..

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Do have to be aware, I have noticed that windshield washer fluid as of late comes in all kinds of colors, some pretty close resembling the "pink stuff" color so READ THE LABELS, do not depend on color only!!!

LOL Yes, read the label. I had to drain and refill my reservoir 3 times before it did not stink and did clean the windshield.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little fiscal common sense is called for here. The premium anti-freeze costs two bucks more a gallon then the cheap stuff from Walmart. That's $6 a year for most campers. Labor rates at RV service centers run $100-$150 an hour. Some of you are running half million dollar rigs.

Skip the Starbucks for a day and get the good stuff. Take 5 minutes with an air compressor to blow it out after you pump it through the system.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You certainly can spend your money however you wish, but I've not seen that the "cheap stuff" doesn't work just fine. Why spend more money for something that does the same thing as the "cheap stuff"? I prefer my money in my pocket.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy the pink antifreeze at Walmart or elsewhere for about $4/gallon. It works fine.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When is the last time y’all heard that someone died from accidental poisoning from RV antifreeze? Much ado about nothing

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

When is the last time y’all heard that someone died from accidental poisoning from RV antifreeze? Much ado about nothing

True Nick, and okay/better/best all do the job, without killing anyone, that I have heard about. The things that may differ...some will stain, some will evaporate, and some are better at keeping toilet seal, and tank valve seals lubricated.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Antifreeze
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.