cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I know from getting Trailer Life Magazine that there are half-ton towable 5th Wheels being made, but what I don't know is if they are practical. And I have a short bed F-150 (Supercrew) and although I've heard that some hitches with work with a short bed I've never talked to someone who actually does it. Is there anyone here who has that kind of experience who can answer my questions?
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
33 REPLIES 33

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think that "80% rule" exist to provide some room for error. For example, most people don't actually weigh their trailer loaded so they may think that it's withing the tow rating when it actually isn't. Or, maybe the truck is aging and parts are worn. Do I really want to tow 100% of the rating? Not sure. If I want to keep it forever, maybe it will last a little longer with a liter load. The 80% isn't written in stone.Just to suggest liter better than heavier.
Jayco-noslide

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
D. Steiner, I agree. Watched some folks pull out from the CG we're at with a Cadillac Escalade EXT Pickup. Fairly large TT, no Equalizer Bars or Sway Control, rear bumper of TV almost dragging the ground and headlights pointed at the stars. Would not want to be anywhere near that on the highway.

Then best stay off the highways on Fridays and Sundays, because what you describe is typical of the vast majority of the RV towing public. They don't read or join RV boards. All they know is it gets them to and from the campground a few times a year. I see a hundred plus every weekend. They all seem to survive without killing themselves or anyone else.
"Now the Subaru with the โ€œcoexistโ€ sticker on the back doing 68 mph passing a semi thatโ€™s going 67mph in a 70 zone. Yeah Iโ€™ll slap the entitlement tag on them leaf lickers!" - Grit Dog - Warning, you may find the preceding offensive if you lick leaves.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Pull that with the 1/2 ton and find a buddy has a 3/4 of 1 ton and tow it. You won't want to go back to the 1/2 ton city truck.

Pull that with a 3/4 or 1 ton, and find a buddy with a F650, or MTD, you will never go back to the 3/4 ton city truck.

Depends on the size of the 5th Wheel here.

Although if you want to pull a smallish 30ft, properly you can have a six wheeler conversion

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Pull that with the 1/2 ton and find a buddy has a 3/4 of 1 ton and tow it. You won't want to go back to the 1/2 ton city truck.

Pull that with a 3/4 or 1 ton, and find a buddy with a F650, or MTD, you will never go back to the 3/4 ton city truck.

Except that 1/2 tons and 3/4-1 tons srw are similar size when it comes to driving and parking. The big boys are a different story and I would have no interest in driving those around unhitched in a parking lot.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
D. Steiner, I agree. Watched some folks pull out from the CG we're at with a Cadillac Escalade EXT Pickup. Fairly large TT, no Equalizer Bars or Sway Control, rear bumper of TV almost dragging the ground and headlights pointed at the stars. Would not want to be anywhere near that on the highway.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
You can tow a much larger, heavier travel trailer than 5th wheel. If just towing with a half ton it makes no sense to get a 5th wheel.

This is the kind of advice I donโ€™t understand.
1. Hitch weight is extremely ft aft of factory Recommended CG for ANY truck, 1/2, 3/4, or a ton making it inherently unstable but load it down, hook it up then bandaid it with WDH.

2. Being it is unstable add another type bandaid, an anti sway bar although some are built into the WDH.

I would MUCH more be slightly over Trucks GVWR and have an inherently STABLE rig, not relying on bandaids which I donโ€™t have to โ€˜dial it inโ€™ to make it tow safely. Some of the travel trailer setups Iโ€™ve seen on the road are ridiculous and no way Iโ€™d tow. I love my half ton 5th wheel behind my half ton and enjoy the tow. Towing is, and should be, half the fun of going camping.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one. only it was a Cabover, CLT 9000 double wide air ride. Back in the day weren't many Conventional trucks
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Edd505 wrote:

Baby trucks,

Yep my names on the side.

MTD too small
๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
You can tow a much larger, heavier travel trailer than 5th wheel. If just towing with a half ton it makes no sense to get a 5th wheel.

Pin weight vs Tongue weight yes.A TT will not overload a 1/2 as bad.
For me I would rather be maxed out with a 1/2 to towing a 5th wheel than be under payload while towing a bigger longer TT.
A 5th wheel is going to handle so much better. No sway to worry about.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The option list for towing on the F150 is long and complicated. Maximum towing can only be achieved with the right combination. Because you have a Supercrew you need to know your LOADED vehicle weight and rear axle ratio.

Refer to page 15 of the Ford 2013 Towing Guide
complicated? All you have to say is you want the " heavy duty payload package". And while your at it, get the towing mirrors also.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Your short 5.5 bed truck may work with the right fifth wheel trailer, and a sidewinder type pinbox. I think some of the 1/2 ton towables come with this pinbox. Your sig page mentions max tow pkg on truck, which adds payload, and a bit more RAWR.

Jerry

A friend pulls a Grand Design for a 1/2t & uses a Ford with the 5 1/2 ft box. The 5er came with pinbox like this that pivots at the rv & not the pin. He has a wedge thing that bolts on the pinbox & this keeps the pin from turning.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers