Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Pull that with the 1/2 ton and find a buddy has a 3/4 of 1 ton and tow it. You won't want to go back to the 1/2 ton city truck.

Pull that with a 3/4 or 1 ton, and find a buddy with a F650, or MTD, you will never go back to the 3/4 ton city truck.

Except that 1/2 tons and 3/4-1 tons srw are similar size when it comes to driving and parking. The big boys are a different story and I would have no interest in driving those around unhitched in a parking lot.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

Pull that with the 1/2 ton and find a buddy has a 3/4 of 1 ton and tow it. You won't want to go back to the 1/2 ton city truck.

Pull that with a 3/4 or 1 ton, and find a buddy with a F650, or MTD, you will never go back to the 3/4 ton city truck.

Depends on the size of the 5th Wheel here.
[image]
Although if you want to pull a smallish 30ft, properly you can have a six wheeler conversion
[image]

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

D. Steiner, I agree. Watched some folks pull out from the CG we're at with a Cadillac Escalade EXT Pickup. Fairly large TT, no Equalizer Bars or Sway Control, rear bumper of TV almost dragging the ground and headlights pointed at the stars. Would not want to be anywhere near that on the highway.

Then best stay off the highways on Fridays and Sundays, because what you describe is typical of the vast majority of the RV towing public. They don't read or join RV boards. All they know is it gets them to and from the campground a few times a year. I see a hundred plus every weekend. They all seem to survive without killing themselves or anyone else.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that "80% rule" exist to provide some room for error. For example, most people don't actually weigh their trailer loaded so they may think that it's withing the tow rating when it actually isn't. Or, maybe the truck is aging and parts are worn. Do I really want to tow 100% of the rating? Not sure. If I want to keep it forever, maybe it will last a little longer with a liter load. The 80% isn't written in stone.Just to suggest liter better than heavier.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Questions about pulling a fifth-wheel with a half ton TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.