07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
79 REPLIES 79

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Yes it costs more for a diesel upfront.
Every time you get a new truck, that premium you paid transfers to the new truck. IOW. it is pretty cheap to stay in a diesel.... And if you ever decide to go back to gas for any reason, you will then recoup your premium.

That is a great point and very true. I trade every 2-3 years and it doesn't hurt as bad. Keep them too long and you start over and that sucks.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
bid_time wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
All these half ton owners that have a GM 5.3L, GM 6.2L, Ford 5.0L, Ford Ecoboost, Ram 5.7L or Toyota 5.7L are all stupid because they will never recoup the cost in fuel over the base engine. So are all of those V8 Camaro/Mustang/Challenger owners because they will never recoup the cost over the V6.

Yes, it sounds this stupid to an HD diesel owner when an HD gasser owner says they will never recoup their money.
I'll put the overall mpg of my ecoboost up against your diesel for a year any day of the week. And my fuel is cheaper to boot. BTDT got the tee shirt.

As long as your ecoboost can tow a 15K 5'er we got a deal.
But if it can't it's no use to me.:W.
Now if you want to compare your towing MPG to mine we can talk.
I purchased my dually to tow my fiver. It does that job very well.
All other considerations and capabilities are including MPG's are not really important to me in the long run.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
All these half ton owners that have a GM 5.3L, GM 6.2L, Ford 5.0L, Ford Ecoboost, Ram 5.7L or Toyota 5.7L are all stupid because they will never recoup the cost in fuel over the base engine. So are all of those V8 Camaro/Mustang/Challenger owners because they will never recoup the cost over the V6.

Yes, it sounds this stupid to an HD diesel owner when an HD gasser owner says they will never recoup their money.
I'll put the overall mpg of my ecoboost up against your diesel for a year any day of the week. And my fuel is cheaper to boot. BTDT got the tee shirt.

I am guessing you did not get my sarcasm in that post.

Although I would gladly put your EcoBoost against my diesel any day of the week. You did not specify which one of my diesels and one of them gets 43 mpg combined and the other gets 17 mpg combined hand calculated. Both are deleted and tuned.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
noteven wrote:
Um, like, pickup truck engines arenโ€™t โ€œHDโ€ diesels ... they are wee babies compared to truck engines ๐Ÿ™‚

It is what the brands call their class 2b and 3 pick up trucks. Ram and GM call them HD, Ford calls them SD, and Nissan calls them XD. It is how they reference their heavy duty version of their light duty full size trucks. People here(well most anyway) know these references and that they don't actually mean a class 7-8 heavy duty truck.

Shiner - yer right I walked over to the Dodgeโ€™s tailgate leaning up in the shop and itโ€™s right there in inglish: โ€œHeavy Dutyโ€ ๐Ÿ™‚

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Um, like, pickup truck engines arenโ€™t โ€œHDโ€ diesels ... they are wee babies compared to truck engines ๐Ÿ™‚

It is what the brands call their class 2b and 3 pick up trucks. Ram and GM call them HD, Ford calls them SD, and Nissan calls them XD. It is how they reference their heavy duty version of their light duty full size trucks. People here(well most anyway) know these references and that they don't actually mean a class 7-8 heavy duty truck.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it costs more for a diesel upfront.
Every time you get a new truck, that premium you paid transfers to the new truck. IOW. it is pretty cheap to stay in a diesel.... And if you ever decide to go back to gas for any reason, you will then recoup your premium.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
What often gets overlooked in the gas vs diesel cost of ownership debate is the fact that the diesel variants of HD trucks are...substantially better trucks. I would happily pay a $9000 premium in total ownership cost to get a diesel truck because the performance is so far superior, but happily I don't have to.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

To be fair to those discussing recouping costs, the 2nd post in this thread was from a diesel owner saying they're close to "paying off" their diesel.

What I am saying is that this is not the reason why he or any other HD diesel owner buys one. If he puts enough miles on it to pay for itself in fuel economy savings alone, it is just a secondary benefit. It is silly to an HD diesel owner to hear people say that this is their main reason or even one of their reasons especially if they haven't done the math yet.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

To be fair to those discussing recouping costs, the 2nd post in this thread was from a diesel owner saying they're close to "paying off" their diesel.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You don't need to "pay off" the diesel upgrade. It pays back (sometimes with interest) when you sell the truck.

Besides, who in the world buys a diesel because it's cheaper? You buy it because it does the job better and more comfortably.

Ditto on all of the above.

It's a lot less effortless towing with a diesel than a gas truck. I am not constantly managing my throttle application in anticipation of hills, etc.
Bob

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I saw a 2020 6.6L gas truck a few weeks ago at Dave Smith.

They are ugly.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator