Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/31/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

We've owned various MH's in the past 10 years and I have never carried a spare. Kudos to the guys that carry them but I'd rather have the storage space for something else, not have to buy an extra tire that I may never use and age out at the same rate of the one's on the ground, and hope that I can actually lift and mount it, and my credit card for Coachnet takes up much less room and effort. To each his own.


So ... I guess that you are assuming that your phone can always connect?

We're often out and about in the Western U.S. where we don't have adequate cellular service. I'd wouldn't want to have a flat under those conditions - but also, why be limited by cellular coverage?

However, we carry a satellite based communication device in addition to an onboard spare and tools to mount it ... or maybe fix a flat without having to remove the tire.


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 80+ years old and still recovering from knee replacements. The spare in our 2004 26Q is original and mounted in front of the cavernous cargo hold. I would have to remove camping gear and crawl into the cargo hold to unbolt and get it out. Yikes! Best to replace tires before they age out. Have AAA premium road service.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

way2roll wrote:

We've owned various MH's in the past 10 years and I have never carried a spare. Kudos to the guys that carry them but I'd rather have the storage space for something else, not have to buy an extra tire that I may never use and age out at the same rate of the one's on the ground, and hope that I can actually lift and mount it, and my credit card for Coachnet takes up much less room and effort. To each his own.


So ... I guess that you are assuming that your phone can always connect?

We're often out and about in the Western U.S. where we don't have adequate cellular service. I'd wouldn't want to have a flat under those conditions - but also, why be limited by cellular coverage?

However, we carry a satellite based communication device in addition to an onboard spare and tools to mount it ... or maybe fix a flat without having to remove the tire.


So, you're going to flame my post because you don't agree that I don't think I need a spare or choose not to carry one? You assume I travel to remote areas and risk not having cell coverage? I work remote all the time and part of my constraint is that I HAVE cell coverage all the time. I guess " to each his own" only applies to folks doing what you think they should do. I wasn't looking for an argument, I was sharing my experience. Sorry, not sorry that you don't agree.

js218

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why I carry 2 spares for the rig and 2 for the trailer, been to some places with zero cell service and towns are few and far apart.


2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Have AAA premium road service. "

While I do not know for certain I have been told that AAA will not come into a campground and will not change an inside dually. If I had AAA I would take to the time find out for sure one way or the other and if you do please get back to us to confirm or squelch this tale.

Regardless of your ERS provider having a spare gives you options and likely will get you quicker service when you have a flat/blowout. The tech that came out to change my blowout was just driving a midsized pickup with an assortment of tools in the back. If I had no spare they would have had to dispatch a truck with the equipment to mount/balance a new tire that hopefully would be available.

Storage and mounting will always be an issue for most folks. My spare lives under the rear of the coach as I had Nexus install a custom mount when I visited the factory 4.5 years ago. Before that I in stalled a spare tire mount on the rear bumper. It only took a few weeks on the road for it to fail and fracture the mount... there was just too much motion and weight involved. My spare is too large to fit into the primary storage bay.

[emoticon]





toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AAA has come into an RV Park for me before. I haven't needed an inner dually replaced, so can't answer to that.

way2roll - I don't see any flaming going on. You stated you just call Coachnet, so the obvious question is what do you do if you don't have service. Your next post answered that - you don't go places without cell service.

What it comes down to are a few particulars:

1. Do you camp in remote areas that do not have cell service?
2. Do you camp in solitary areas (e.g., no neighbors within a few miles)?
3. Are your tires a size rarely in stock at tire shops?
4. Are you on a limited time frame (e.g., have to return to work at a certain date)?

If yes to the majority of those questions, then carrying a spare makes sense. Even if you can call for service, you may not be able to wait an extra day or two for a tire to arrive.

If no to these questions, then you will likely be fine depending on roadside assistance.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/31/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This AAA thing about not changing an inside dually seems to come up every so often.When I last saw it I talked in person to my AAA Rep.

This is what I was told face to face.

If it is a road call and the responding unit does not have the proper equipment to do it or do it safely the call will then be a tow to a facility that is in the prescribed towing limit,which in my case is 200 miles.


2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C


pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/01/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

This AAA thing about not changing an inside dually seems to come up every so often.When I last saw it I talked in person to my AAA Rep.

This is what I was told face to face.

If it is a road call and the responding unit does not have the proper equipment to do it or do it safely the call will then be a tow to a facility that is in the prescribed towing limit,which in my case is 200 miles.


I had the same problem with AAA on my motorhome right here in my own backyard just outside town - with an outside dually flat!!! So after ~40 years with AAA I immediately changed to Coach-Net Premier - because I figured that "RVs and their various ERS requirements" is what Coach-Net is all about.

What's the difference with duallies anyway ... whether it be inside or outside? You gotta safely lift and support the entire corner of the vehicle anyway, regardless of dually tire position. Also you BETTER NOT rely on a good inside dually tire to help support the vehicle corner while replacing a bad outside dually tire!

If an RV's raw weight in the rear is a problem for AAA, then they should so state in their ERS plans' descriptions ... not use "duallies" as an excuse to not service tire problems on the rear of RVs!

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 02/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

This AAA thing about not changing an inside dually seems to come up every so often.When I last saw it I talked in person to my AAA Rep.

This is what I was told face to face.

If it is a road call and the responding unit does not have the proper equipment to do it or do it safely the call will then be a tow to a facility that is in the prescribed towing limit,which in my case is 200 miles.
I had the same problem with AAA on my motorhome right here in my own backyard just outside town - with an outside dually flat!!! So after ~40 years with AAA I immediately changed to Coach-Net Premier - because I figured that "RVs and their various ERS requirements" is what Coach-Net is all about.

What's the difference with duallies anyway ... whether it be inside or outside? You gotta safely lift and support the entire corner of the vehicle anyway, regardless of dually tire position. Also you BETTER NOT rely on a good inside dually tire to help support the vehicle corner while replacing a bad outside dually tire!

If an RV's raw weight in the rear is a problem for AAA, then they should so state in their ERS plans' descriptions ... not use "duallies" as an excuse to not service tire problems on the rear of RVs!
I agree with you. That is why my ERS is "me" for as long as I am capable....so far so good.


2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow


jjrbus

FT Myers FL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You pay for insurance and need an attorney to negotiate with the service. Things have really gotten out of hand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS