Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

You pay for insurance and need an attorney to negotiate with the service. Things have really gotten out of hand.

Plus, even with a squad of attorneys ... one is probably not going to get ERS out in Death Valley places like this! (What I would like is "RV ERS" for anyplace we managed to get to in our RV before calling for help.):
[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from a 14,000 mile round trip journey to Alaska. Experience of a lifetime. Went to some extremely remote places. Before we left we purchased a Roadmaster Spare Tire carrier, spare tire and custom cover. Never had to use it but, knowing my luck, if we hadn't taken it, we would have needed it. I have a very unusual tire size (in fact had trouble getting a new one from the local Goodyear dealer before we left). Had a satellite commicator which I would have used to get help.
Our service provider would have come from FMCA (hopefully).

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

jjrbus wrote:

You pay for insurance and need an attorney to negotiate with the service. Things have really gotten out of hand.

Plus, even with a squad of attorneys ... one is probably not going to get ERS out in Death Valley places like this! (What I would like is "RV ERS" for anyplace we managed to get to in our RV before calling for help.):
[image]
Phil,

Is that the campground in Death Valley that is a simple rough gravel parking lot, maybe it is called Emigrant Campground? If so, we stayed there twice, years apart on separate trips. What a desolate place, far from everywhere.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

pnichols wrote:

jjrbus wrote:

[image]
Phil,

Is that the campground in Death Valley that is a simple rough gravel parking lot, maybe it is called Emigrant Campground? If so, we stayed there twice, years apart on separate trips. What a desolate place, far from everywhere.

Ron, we were in that spot with two other couples in their 24 foot Class C rigs, but their motorhomes can't be seen in the picture.

We weren't in a camping area per se. We just slowly and carefully traveled way out on a 4X4 road in DV and finally pulled off to overnight. We of course needed leveling blocks to get situated.

It sure was great being out there - serene and beautiful. We sat around the fire in the evening eating popcorn! We could hear high winds most of the night - but no people sounds other than ours.

* This post was edited 11/02/19 11:48am by pnichols *

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

jjrbus wrote:

[image]

Try Hell's canyon SD, with no cell phone service and the Sheriff has no idea where to get a tow truck from. I did not see any attorneys either, but did not think to ask the Sheriff for one, I sure he could get me an attorney in a few minutes LOL

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

pnichols wrote:

jjrbus wrote:

[image]

Try Hell's canyon SD, with no cell phone service and the Sheriff has no idea where to get a tow truck from. I did not see any attorneys either, but did not think to ask the Sheriff for one, I sure he could get me an attorney in a few minutes LOL

Yep ... there's still places in the good old U.S. of A. like that believe it or not, despite all the cellular company media adds touting their "great coverage".

That's why we carry along on our RV trips a Garmin inReach Mini satellite communicator mounted right on the cab dash. I just have to figure out how to contact Coach-Net using it to plead for RV ERS ... in addition to the air MediVac coverage the Mini provides for the DW and myself. [emoticon]

By the way ... it's interesting that both SD and Idaho have a "Hell's Canyon".

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, it was a canyon, wonder if there was cell service at the top of the canyon??

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live 20 miles west of Chicago. Ever since the introduction of 5G, our cell coverage has been horrible all around us. We live with one bar of cell strength, 2 bars max. But sometimes it vanishes right where we stand. Our AT&T service has become disasterous. And this is with our Samsung S7 and S9 phones.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

We live 20 miles west of Chicago. Ever since the introduction of 5G, our cell coverage has been horrible all around us. We live with one bar of cell strength, 2 bars max. But sometimes it vanishes right where we stand. Our AT&T service has become disasterous. And this is with our Samsung S7 and S9 phones.

Ron ... I know it's not "intentional" on the cellular providers part ... but 5G could wind up being kindof a misunderstanding con job on the unsuspecting public regarding any "improved" coverage in areas other than around populated areas.

5G is of course using higher frequency carrier waves in order to provide the faster and larger amount of information it was created for - and the higher the frequency, the shorter distance radio waves will travel in air. The bottom line is, 5G will require a lot more network points in order to make it available over large and/or remote areas.

I'll try to stay with 4G as long as possible on our phones in order to give us every possible connection advantage when traveling - while relying on our inReach satellite device for the ultimate way to stay connected for emergency use anywhere.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know pnichols, I know.....I worked for Motorola for 37 years and know all about the G's. [emoticon] You got it right.

Still I feel I have a right to complain. I have a multi-service cell tower in line-of sight out my back window measured on Google Earth to be only 2,910 feet away.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS