Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't realize the extent of the collateral damage the rig suffered when we had the blow out. We had to unbolt/remove the mudflap as it had been jammed up and over the top of the duallies but I assumed I would be able to do that myself... wrong.

You can see the twist on the outside end of the support bar and there is no way I can straighten that. Also the frame has been pushed/pulled forward and needs to be realigned flush with the wheel well opening. I also found a duplex wire that was severed by the force of the explosion/blowout. There is an inner support bar above the twisted one {looks to be way low on the inside of the wheel well} that was dislodged and needs to be replaced or at least realigned and reinstalled.

Like I said earlier this thing really blew {grenaded}, here are a couple of pics showing the extent of the damage:

[image]

[image]

[image]

The wire was not hanging down immediately after the blowout and I would have to guess that it was blown up into the undercarriage and eventually worked loose and recently dropped down. does anyone have any clue what that wire {looks to be 14/16 gauge white and yellow duplex} goes to?

The GEICO claims guy will be out to meet me and inspect the rig later this week at the storage yard and then I assume it will be off to La Mesa RV for the requisite repairs {less my $500 deductible... oh boy}.

[emoticon]

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because tires are a maintenance item I assumed that damage from a blow out would not be covered by insurance?

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are lucky the damage did not include the RV floor and/or the RV body.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

Because tires are a maintenance item I assumed that damage from a blow out would not be covered by insurance?

I never heard that one. [emoticon]

GEICO says no problem...

Yes, the damage could have been much worse. The forces involved were huge as evidenced by the twisted steel bar. The heavy rubber mudflap obviously took the brunt of the explosion and probably prevented additional damage.

I will never know if I possibly hit some debris in the lane... I don't think so but there is no way of knowing. As noted, the tires were inspected and aired up by Discount Tire that day before.

[emoticon]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

I believe the tires themselves are not covered. But if damage occurs to the vehicle due to the blow out, then that damage is covered.

Just like your brakes. Insurance doesn't cover replacing brakes, but if you are in a wreck because the brakes failed, then the damage from the wreck is covered.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The title of this thread should be "you need a spare if you travel in areas where you may experience loss in cell signal, or remote areas that may not have easy access to RSA and a place that can bring you one".

A lot of RV'ers - including us - don't fall into that category and have gotten along just fine without a spare - despite having a flat. I would go so far as to bet that a lot of folks that carry spares never use them. I've owned my pickup for 13 years, never used the spare.

I understand self reliance If you want to carry one and feel the need, awesome and good for you. But a lot of folks simply do not "need" to carry a spare.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way2roll, I must respectfully disagree...

We had a spare, good cell coverage and ERS with a reasonable response time {for a busy interstate} and still spent 2+ hours in the "Dead Zone" as the shoulder is aptly known. Had we not had a spare we would have been there much longer and your chances of having a major disaster go up exponentially every minute you are there.

If you chose not to carry one that is your call but having backup equipment, especially when it comes to safety is for me the only way to travel. Do you have any fire extinguishers? I carry 3 and know how to use them. Ever needed one? Nope. Much like a spare they rarely are needed but when you need one not much else will suffice.

As I often note: "Opinions... and YMMV"

My incident continues to just get better and better...

The GEICO Claims Adjuster met me this morning at our storage yard. In just a few minutes he had completed the requisite paperwork {mostly on his computer} and the damage estimate came in at $704 {less my $500 deductible}. I have an appointment at Freedom RV tomorrow at 9 and they should be able to wrap up the repair {assuming they do not discover any additional damage} in just a few days.

My GEICO guy wrote me a check on the spot for $251.56 to reimburse me for the cost of the blown tire as that expense was covered by my RV policy. I admit to this being a very pleasant surprise.

I will report back when the repair is completed but right now it is looking like I will be out about $250 when all is said and done including my deductible {not counting the two additional tires I replaced just to be on the safe side}.

Oh, I found where the severed wire goes...

It connects to a small amber running light on the side of the coach which ought to take about a minute and half to repair.

[emoticon]

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Desert Captain, you wrote the thread so obviously you disagree. Comparing a fire extinguisher to a spare tire is comparing apples to basketballs but I'm not dying on that hill arguing about it.

Sounds like carrying a spare works for you. Everyone should do what works for them..

Good luck with the rest of your endeavor.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been our experience that any insurance claim regardless how minor, and "yes" even simple inquiries to determine if we should file a claim to our insurance company, auto or home policy, the rates jump up so badly that we have to switch insurance companies.

Once we learned how the insurance system actually works, we get the highest deductible plans, and pay out of pocket without informing our insurance, even when exceeding the deductible by "reasonable" amounts. We save BIG money over-all this way.

And if you wonder, we had so few claims over our 42 year driving and home ownership history. All claims were very minor incidents that we felt did not warrant such high increases in our policies. The few claims we had were smaller than the cost of coverage for that given year.

* This post was last edited 11/13/19 01:41pm by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

It has been our experience that any insurance claim regardless how minor, and "yes" even simple inquiries to determine if we should file a claim to our insurance company, auto or home policy, the rates jump up so badly that we have to switch insurance companies.

Once we learned how the insurance system actually works, we get the highest deductible plans, and pay out of pocket without informing our insurance, even when exceeding the deductible by "reasonable" amounts. We save BIG money over-all this way.

And if you wonder, we had so few claims over our 42 year driving and home ownership history. All claims were very minor incidents that we felt did not warrant such high increases in our policies. The few claims we had were smaller than the cost of coverage for that given year.

Ron, Insurance companies can NOT raise your rates for simply making an inquiry regarding a potential claim. All insurance companies share common data base so they will know if you have filed claims with other companies and that can affect the rates they charge so there is little to be gained by jumping from company to company.

About 2 years ago I had my first ever potential claim, I had caught the edge of the scale at the refuse transfer station and did what was largely cosmetic damage below the door sill. After hearing what the paint and body shop proposed - replacing a fully functioning door to the tune of $2,500 I canceled the claim and did the repair myself. A little tapping with a maul to flatten out the gouged metal trim and some touch up paint have it looking decent.

The claim was dropped and as far as GEICO {and the rest of insurance industry} is concerned it never happened. This was confirmed today when my adjuster noted that I had no {zip, zero, nada} claims in my insurance history. I agree one can save on premiums up front by opting for higher deductibles but if you are afraid to use insurance there isn't much point in having it.

Self insuring becomes and option but given the low interest rates currently available it does not always pencil out. You still are legally obligated to have liability insurance and when bundled with full coverage the costs are not that much higher.

I have made it a habit over the last 30 years to get quotes from multiple insurance companies every 3 - 5 years on all of my insurance products. Usually my existing insurance is competitive but if it is not for whatever reason I simple shop for another carrier.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Yes boys and girls, you REALLY need to carry a spare...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS