cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sour Dough Biscuits

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm whipping up some sour dough starter to make sour dough biscuits in my dutch oven on November 2nd when we're camping. The starter should be ready for a test run in to make some in 2 days! Can't wait. Got the recipe for the starter and the biscuits from the Boy Scouts cook book
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
12 REPLIES 12

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
Try this recipe - Vegan Blueberry Mug Cake
Quick and easy to prepare!) Healthy and tasty!)
Ingredients:
? cup Blueberry
5-7 soaked overnight Almond nuts
DRY INGREDIENTS:
4 tbsp Whole-wheat flour
2 tbsp Sugar
1 pinch Salt
ยฝ tsp Baking powder
WET INGREDIENTS:
8 tbsp Almond Milk
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
ยฝ tsp Vanilla extract

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
We made these in the dutch oven this past weekend. Hopefully the "Cookie" AKA "biscuit boy" took a couple pics I can post later today. They came out perfect.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Gran Ma kept starter in two small crocks. She had gotten a bit to start her own from her Mother and it aay have been passed down from her Mother.
Sourdough from wild yeasts can be terrible.I've sampled several including store boughtn sourdough biscuits and breads and everyone of them were somewhat bitter or soda like and off tasting. GrandMa's was sweet. I guess it matters what part of the country,weather, and time of year. She lived in big clearing inthe middle of the woods.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ would do terrible things for this about now
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Cover that with sausage gravy and I'd eat the whole pan!

yes, me too

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:

Oh man! that would be so amazing! I cooked sausage patties this morning and had them with the biscuits. So good.
V-465

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are the biscuits with from the recipe above. Made it just like the recipe says except not in a dutch oven. Regular oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes

They came out perfect. Can't wait to make them in the dutch oven this week end. I think I will up the salt from 1/2 tspn to 1 tspn, though that could affect how much it will rise as salt stifles yeast activity.
V-465

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have made biscuits a lot in a DO. In order to make good ones, it takes a lot of fat, butter, Crisco, whatever you have. Olive oil doesn't get it.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the recipe for the biscuits. The sour dough starter is 2-1/2 cups of flower with a teaspoon of sugar mixed in, 2-1/2 cups of 100-105 degree water. One packet of yeast and proof it in the water then mix it into a slurry and cover with a towel at room temp for 24 hrs. After 24hrs remove towel and cover loosely with plastic wrap and observe it for 4-5 days, stirring and mixing in the bubbles daily. Should be ready at the end of the previously mentioned 4-5 day period. Mine is starting to smell nice and tangy. They say what ever you take out of the mixture, say 1 cup like I think the recipe below calls for, you just mix up a cup of flour and water in a slurry and put back in the starter to replenish and keep it going. No added yeast for the replenishing.

I'm thinking I'll just do a "domestic" run of this recipe this weekend and see how they come out. Then plan for the Dutch Oven on the 2nd.
V-465

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Alaska it is easy to find sourdough. Even in pizza is made with it.
There was a guy on my Dad's ranch whose wife used to cook for us. Sourdough biscuits and hotcakes all the time, ranch beans with ristra chiles, deer jerky, canned beef. It is a wonderful way to live.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Please post your recipe and results. While in Alaska this summer we were gifted some starter over 100 years old! Tried pancakes and bread but not biscuits yet.