cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile hot spots

tomandsand
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on spending the winter at a campground with no cable or wi-fi. Can anyone recommend a reliable (inexpensive) mobile hot spot? I have one through Straight Talk but it is fairly expensive.
34 REPLIES 34

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
For those wondering about the Visible Party Plan and getting into group with strangers, note that each member has their own account and gets their own bill. The other members of the group only get to see your first name, area code, and the last 4 digits of your phone number. A week or so ago, I got two emails from Visible within an hour, one letting me know that someone had dropped out of my group, and the second one letting me know that a new member had joined the group, keeping my bill at $25.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using a Visible R2 as a hotspot for a couple of months now, and with the Party Plan we're only paying $25/mo. I have the R2 tethered to a Pepwave router that lets us connect all of our devices as needed without being restricted by Visible's one device limit. We've found the 5 Mbps hotspot speed limit to be adequate for streaming most of the time, and general surfing all of the time. We also have a grandfathered $20/mo unlimited AT&T plan that does not have the speed restriction. Both plans are unlimited with no throttling, although both plans are subject to speed reductions on congested towers only for the duration of the usually brief congestion.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you, I got into a group...I just wasn't sure I was doing it right over on that Website.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
If you need Visible Party members for your group or to join a party, simply go here:

Visible Party
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I switched my wife and my son to Visible (my wife in October and my son in November). My son, is 20 and chews through data like there is no tomorrow - hasn't complained yet.

My wife is a facebook/instagram (my daughters post all the time).

excluding the onboarding process with visible, i like it.

We just drove to LA from Denver - and I have Verizon for work. There were a few areas where I had coverage and she didn't (even though Visible is an MVNO of Verizon) - but they were few and far between and we were somewhere between denver and santa fe.

Josh

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I just signed up for Visible and I'm looking for some Party People, (to join my Party) at "RVNTime" on the Visible Web site.....so if you don't have 4 on your own, come on over!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
docsouce, let me know how that works out for you. We get 8gb for a two week trip and come home with little, if any, data left. But, the DW is a FaceBook junkie and post pics daily. I, like you, check email and future sites/campgrounds, etc.
We to are looking for a decent deal on data.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a real good suggestion. Picking up a $20 phone and then using the 1g service sounds like it would work for me. I have no idea how much data I use when I'm on the road but I suspect it isn't much. About all I do is check out interesting things to do and see along my route for the day. Check out email once or twice per week, and visit this and a couple of other web sites daily. Search for campgrounds ahead. No youtube, movies or Facebook type of stuff. Mostly use Google maps.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I pay $25 a month now... happy.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
Does anyone know if you can have more than four members join your party?
Party Pay can have no more than four members. This brings the monthly payment down to $25 which includes all taxes and fees. I've been on the plan for a month. Your account remains private. Anybody can join the plan.

Visible Party Pay

Here's a site where people post Party Pay spots:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VisiblePartyPay/

Visible is a Verizon owned company and uses Verizon towers.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
A while back I decided to try out the "unlimited /unthrottled" AT&T service that folks are pushing on EBay.

I have been using it for 6 months and have not experienced any throttling.

Unfortunately, the AT&T coverage is not very good in the area where I spend much of my time.

I see other RV'ers with Verizon that have great coverage while on the road. I just ordered the Visible phone and see if that serves me better.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if you can have more than four members join your party?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Visible has started a service called "Party Pay". This can bring monthly service down to $25.

Visible Party Pay
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I like Visible... a Verizon company.

$40 a month (no more) gets me all the talk, text and high speed data that I need.

No gimmicks or slick tricks either.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer