cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-4 though Orlando

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
How's the traffic on I-4 now, is the construction about done, or is it still a mess????
16 REPLIES 16

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We came down last week and took 295 west at Jacksonville to 10 west to 301 S to 75 E to turnpike and down 27 to our home in Haines City. No traffic except short time on 75, was 12 miles longer and NO stress. We only go anywhere on 1-4 if we have to.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove this or attempted to on Friday November 8th while pulling a 32 foot 5th wheel in route to Disney around 3pm.

Never in my life have I encountered anything like this. My GPS provides traffic updates regarding delays etc. and it couldn't keep up with everything happening. It kept rerouting me and I could not tell you the route we took. I used to be a paramedic firefighter and have driven emergency vehicles in all situations and I have never been as stressed as I was then.

If I ever go back I will have a definitive route in place beforehand and won't be using my GPS or traveling I 4.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

Back to the I-4 question--- I will take any road to get across the state except I-4. To congested,too many accidents and just plain crazy.

I know the Florida law has changed but takes a back seat to the Georgia law.

Another road to avoid especially at night, we call death row. I-95 between Jacksonville and Daytona.

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys we will avoid the I4 route!!!!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
I-4 listed as the most busiest and dangerous roadway in America.
I will drive US301 or US 17 when we have to go toward Interstate 4/Orlando area.

This is colloquially known as the โ€œHaunted Highwayโ€ to Floridians, which is both the coolest and most unfortunate name ever.

I-4 is the busiest interstate in the entire country and also named as the most dangerous, based on fatalities per mile. The story goes that this interstate is haunted by a cluster of pioneering graves buried underneath a stretch of highway. The ghosts of a Yellow Fever epidemic allegedly cause radio and cellphone interference, as well as a number of car accidents.However, itโ€™s far more likely caused by the increase in those killed by distracted driving. (Florida is the number-one state for distracted driving, and police canโ€™t pull over drivers for this secondary offense unless they are committing a more serious crime.)

The "ban" on texting while driving was made a primary offense on July 1, 2019. BUT, Florida law enforcement agencies decided they know better than the legislature and governor and decided not to enforce the law until January 2020 to give people a chance to understand the law. In the meantime, how many accidents and perhaps deadly injuries will and have occurred due to this bone headed move?

Here's a summary of the law changes:
Section 316.305, Florida Statutes, went into effect on July 1, 2019. Motorists can be stopped and cited for texting and driving. The second part of the law, section 316.306, Florida Statutes, went into effect on October 1, 2019, in which a motorist can be pulled over and issued a warning for using wireless communications devices in a handheld manner in school and work zones. Starting January 1, 2020, motorists can be issued a citation for not using a device in a hands-free manner in school and work zones.

Back to the I-4 question--- I will take any road to get across the state except I-4. To congested,too many accidents and just plain crazy.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I-4 listed as the most busiest and dangerous roadway in America.
I will drive US301 or US 17 when we have to go toward Interstate 4/Orlando area.

This is colloquially known as the โ€œHaunted Highwayโ€ to Floridians, which is both the coolest and most unfortunate name ever.

I-4 is the busiest interstate in the entire country and also named as the most dangerous, based on fatalities per mile. The story goes that this interstate is haunted by a cluster of pioneering graves buried underneath a stretch of highway. The ghosts of a Yellow Fever epidemic allegedly cause radio and cellphone interference, as well as a number of car accidents.However, itโ€™s far more likely caused by the increase in those killed by distracted driving. (Florida is the number-one state for distracted driving, and police canโ€™t pull over drivers for this secondary offense unless they are committing a more serious crime.)

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't take my trailer on I-4 anywhere in Orange County on a bet. Sudden lane shifts...no markings...barrels pop up out of nownere...

Two more years and three more is likely!!!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
cpu266 wrote:
if looking to get around Orlando without driving through it try this. We take I4 to route 417 which is a by pass around Orlando, dumps out back on I4 west of Orlando. It is a toll road but not bad. Highly recommend getting a sunpass for tolls once in florida.

I second this idea.....it's how we get around Orlando
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
i live here and i avoid I4, an alternate route would be best
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
The I-4 project in Orlando is just getting a good start.
It will not be complete for about another two years.....or more.
Very inconvenient in a car. Downright dangerous in an RV.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
To borrow a phrase... Just say no to I4. There are many alternates depending on where in the area you are headed. Some are toll roads but the toll is much preferred to sitting on I4.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s a mess. You donโ€™t say where/how youโ€™re coming from but you can take 75 down and then connect to the Florida turnpike below Orlando.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I avoid I-4 as much as possible. I live on the west coast of Fl. Iโ€™ll drive north on I-75 to I-10 then head east and double back down I-95 just to avoid Orlando. I pulled my TT through their once and never again. 8-10 drivers are tourists who donโ€™t know where they are going and the other 2 are locals who have absolutely no patients for the other 8. Then you have the never ending construction.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

I traveled through Orlando both directions in August... OUCH ! ! What a royal Pain in the ars....

The roadway was absolutely HORRIBLE, and like mentioned earlier, you may average 2 - 4 MPH depending on the time...

I lost a bike off my rear rack, it popped the pin out of the holder, only 1 wheel was secure, with the 2nd bouncing up and down..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet