cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper Proctology

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
This could have also been titled: “Why You Shouldn’t Hide A Connection Behind A Wall (Or Ceiling)”

I had to use my Bluetooth endoscope on my TC today to find a 12v wiring problem. I bought this a year or so back for use at home. It came in pretty handy today.

The three light fixtures above the cab-over bed had been intermittently not working, and since they were all not working concurrently, simultaneously, and at the same time, I figured they must be daisy-chained together. This had been going on for a couple of years, and used to be very intermittent, but had become more frequent lately. Of course, by the time we’d get home it was working again and I’d forget about it until we took the camper out again. I decided to pull all the fixtures down and have a look when I noticed they weren’t working at home for a change.

The problem seemed to be associated with the fixture on the left, because at times just touching the switch on it would make all the lights turn on. I figured this one must be the first in the string of lights. When I pulled it down though, there were two white wires (neg) and one black wire (pos). The center light had two whites and two blacks, and the right fixture had one white and one black. Wut?!?!?

There must be another black connection somewhere. I started pulling on the wires to the left fixture and discovered that if I twisted the black wire in just the right way, I could get the other two lights to flash sometimes. It didn’t seem like the mystery connection was very far away from the fixture, but I of course couldn’t stick my head into that shallow ceiling to see what was up.

I got out my scope, and stuck it where the wires were going, and a few inches away found this:

That figures! A dang Scotchlok, and it looks like it’s not squished all the way, and it’s not snapped closed. And I can’t get to it, either. There’s no slack in the wires that I can pull towards the fixture. Oh well, get out the hole saw. I was able to cut a hole through the ceiling panel and bead board insulation directly under the Scotchlok so I could take it apart.

Once I got it apart, I found that the black wire from the converter was run directly to the fixture (long black wire in the next picture), and there was still no slack to be pulled. The black wire going to the next fixture had been spliced to it, but I could now pull a few inches of slack in it and get it out of the hole I just cut. I pulled the black wire that had been connected to the fixture back to this hole as well.

Now it was just a matter of splicing these two wires back together with a better crimp type connector, and then pulling the wire back to the fixture hole.

The spot on the long black wire where the Scotchlok had cut the insulation was still up in the ceiling too far for me to get to, so the best I could do was slide a piece of shrink tubing over the wire before I crimped it. I used my heat gun to shrink it, and only melted the styrofoam insulation a little bit.

Now they all work again. I’m making a patch for the hole I cut out of a scrap of some white FRP. It won’t match the ceiling, but it won’t be ugly either.

I just wanted to show the usefulness of these inexpensive BT endoscopes, because without it I most likely would have cut the ceiling up more than I did.

Next week, I’ll show you how to save some money on your next colonoscopy.

DIY! :B

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
9 REPLIES 9

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Great, another cool tool I didn’t know I needed.
Stop telling me about those!!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I’ve already made my patch. I considered buying a plastic or metal plug from Lowe’s, but decided to just use some material I already have since I wasn’t going to be able to find a perfect match anyway.

Turned out pretty good if I do say so. I always say stuff like this isn’t a blemish on the old camper, it adds character to it! :W

The lights are recessed into the ceiling about 1/2”. It’s always interesting to see how they used scrap materials building the camper. The recessed hole has a “donut” made of counter top material (with the Formica still on it) surrounding it, and a scrap of wall paneling with the vinyl covering visible on top of that. The void between the ceiling and the roof is at least an inch thick, which is of course filled with styrofoam insulation. I think this construction would have been typical of the wood framed TC’s Lance was building at the time (2001).

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ya unless you've already made cover, white plastic hole plugs can be had.
Camera would be real handy but every time I need one unwilling to wait for it to arrive so workaround. Then cant order with no intended task. One of those tools that usually sets on the shelf but invaluable when needed.
Curious the way the lights mount or the recessed hole mounting. Verse surface mounting. Pics look like the cut out was shoved up ('cept shows vinyl/paper)? Is this common on Lance?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry you had to cut into your ceiling. Perhaps you can install another light there, night light? 2" plug for hole in desk for wires could work too.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Nice work but I think I'll pass on part 2 😉

Butt why? :W

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:

Next week, I’ll show you how to save some money on your next colonoscopy.

DIY! :B

Part 3 is the Upper GI Endoscopy
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice work NRA! And enjoyed the conjecture in the first post!
On another note.....scotchlocks in inaccessible areas?
Gives a new meaning to poor quality. Although I’m not surprised. Best version of an OEM ill applied scotchlock (there aren’t any good applications for these hardly anyway) was on the boat trailer.
Best part was it was not just any boat trailer but one built by a company that sells in the top 3 most expensive ski and wake boats. And even better it was in an area that was submerged every launch!
Anyway, good fix but wow, just wow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The last picture looks like three cell phones hanging over your bed! lol.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice work but I think I'll pass on part 2 😉