Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: True Truck Payload
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> True Truck Payload

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I weighted my truck on a CAT Scale and subtracted it from the truck's GVW rating.

It came out that my cargo capacity was 2920 lbs. My camper weighed 2921 lbs.

I was over loaded. [emoticon] And as a result all four tires blew out, both front and rear axles busted and my brakes couldn't stop the truck when everything gave out and I crashed and totaled my truck and camper. [emoticon]
Specta, so sorry for your loss--lol!

So . . . I pose this question. Why do we have so many lengthy debates about how to calculate an "alternate" payload on a truck when the manufacturer's rated payload is clearly displayed on the door jam of most every truck? It's because many hard-side campers push a lot these trucks to, and over, the manufacturer's rated payload (especially SRW's). As a result, folks start to rationalize how they can "increase" their payload by picking and choosing an alternate way to calculate a higher payload for their truck. Can you really blame folks for doing this. It costs a lot of money to purchase a truck with a higher manufacturer's rated payload sticker on the door jam--lol!

Simply put, if it was easy to stay within the manufacturer's rated payload when carrying a camper there would be zero no need for all these daily/weekly debates on payload.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New trucks have way higher payload ratings. Yet all along, they’ve had the same parts.
Look at a 20 year old Dodge 2500, manual trans.
It’s got a Dana 80 rear axle, rated for 11,000 pounds by Dana. Same one the same era F450 had.
The payload rating sticker said you could barely haul a load of wet leaves.
Dodge didn’t even sell a single rear wheel badged as a “3500” then, because it was redundant when the 2500 was literally the same thing.
It really comes down to wheels and tires.
The hard parts in 2500-3500 trucks are all similar. They put stiffer springs in some. They put taller suspension on some. Ford puts a couple-inch taller block between the axle and springs, and slightly stiffer springs into its SRW F250 and calls it an F350.
Oh, and a bigger number on the sticker.

The all-mighty payload sticker... it’s a magic thing.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sranderle wrote:

We're looking into a possible truck camper to replace our current teardrop style trailer.

I visited a dealer this weekend, and we were talking about payload. I know that this is important when it comes to truck campers. They stated that the sticker on the driver's door jamb is not the true payload. They said to add up the front and rear GAWR, and substract the weight of the truck (full tank of fuel, no tailgate, empty).

I've heard this same formula before. On my current truck, that would give me 680# over the GVWR.

I'm looking to the community to see if this is accurate or not. The dealer was definitely not trying to sell me anything.

Thanks for your insight!

Ha Ha Ha..What do yu think of the replies now..(laughing)

The fact is the listed payload on your door is the so called legal payload..There is no way to change that,period!

So moving on you will see that most people(not all) with a truck camper are over there GVWR and will give you reasons why that is okay..It is up to you to choose what you want to do, on your own..

By the time you take that door sticker payload and subtract the weight of everything you put in the truck people/tools/pets/coolers/clothes etc..You name it..That payload just went way down,I mean way down..Not leaving much weight for a truck camper..

Then there is the truck camper and the hardware to secure it to the truck..It never ends,then water /food and camping supplies..After all that it's time to weigh..Most likely you will be over your GVWR unless you choose a very small TC or pop-up or have a DRW with a smaller TC..

As an example::I have a Ford F-350 DRW with 4600# on the door sticker as payload with a Lance 9.6 that weighs 2689# empty..I am within 100# or so of being maxed out or over my listed(legal) payload..One more person/pet or more tools and I would be over GVWR.

Only you can decide how to proceed on getting into the TC business..

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Ram 2500 with 2WD and 6.4L Hemi has a payload capacity about 1000 lbs more than the same truck with the Cummins and 4WD. This allows us a wide range of mid sized options in selecting a TC. Our Adventurer 80RB and Travel Lite 840 SBRX fully loaded (passengers and gear included) are well under the GVWR, axle, wheel and tire ratings as well as the sticker payload number.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MARKW8 wrote:

I'm one of those people who look at axle ratings and not necessarily GVWR.
I had my camper on a 2500 Chevrolet for 80k miles. 1200lbs over the gvwr. But under the tire and axle ratings.
Mark

This is the correct answer.

Cal

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man,I am glad they didn't have the internet back when I started into truck campers..[emoticon]..From 8ft campers on 1/2 ton trucks to 8-10ft on 3/4 ton trucks,I never weighed a one,never looked at a door sticker for payload and never wondered if it would work,I just made it work..

Never a broken axle/bearing or anything related to weight in the back..Just put the TC on and added springs if needed and the coil helper springs were like $15 back then/now $25..One set of Helwig helper springs only because of a heavy 35ft Fifth Wheel on a 3/4 Ford we lived in for a while.

The internet has changed truck camping,that's cool..I weighed my first TC(My currant one) because of the internet and we have a grain scale a block away and I miss those guys..[emoticon]..I still wouldn't change a thing if the weights said I was a criminal ready to run-over anything in my path...I drive accordingly..

A normal truck camper on a normal HD pickup truck(1/2 or 3/4 ton or above),just works and it doesn't have to be expensive either, unless of course,you read the internet...

To the op...You can listen to the dealer/someone on the internet or you can use just good common sense and enjoy a pickup with a truck camper on it....Your choice as it should be.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really sure what you mean by True. Payload for a truck is on the sticker.

If you use the RAWR and FAWR, you’ll need to take the truck to a scale to know how much capacity each axle has. In practice, I think most of us would say you’ll be happier if you stay under the GVWR. Another issue with using axle ratings is that the tires also need to be able to handle that load which also means they have to be inflated to carry the weight.

I suggest shopping for a truck camper. Once you find the camper and know it’s weight, look for a truck that is sufficient to haul it. Unless you need a SRW, that usually means a DRW. Sure, you can haul a lot of camper on a SRW, but I bet you’ll enjoy the DRW more when you are fully loaded and bring all of your stuff plus have full holding tanks, etc.

I was able to get by with the SRW carrying my TC because I was very careful to minimize the amount of water and clothes etc that we carried. Not a lot of fun, but doable when I absolutely had to have a SRW.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once the thread has ran its course maybe one of the moderators can make it a "sticky". No sense beating a dead horse every few weeks/months in the forum.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

Once the thread has ran its course maybe one of the moderators can make it a "sticky". No sense beating a dead horse every few weeks/months in the forum.

Not sure stickies will help when even "mature" members can't comprehend the difference between amount declared for taxes from numbers made by engineers.

jimh425 wrote:

Not really sure what you mean by True. Payload for a truck is on the sticker..

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Not sure stickies will help when even "mature" members can't comprehend the difference between amount declared for taxes from numbers made by engineers.

You seem to be confused about gross vehicle weight vs payload. Payload is, of course, a different number and does appear on the sticker on trucks I’ve seen and doesn’t change on the sticker no matter what you license your truck for.

Also, you can’t license your vehicle for payload as far as I know. You can license for Gross Vehicle Weight. So, trolling or simply wrong. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> True Truck Payload
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.