Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Newbie towing question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Newbie towing question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Nighduckman

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently purchased a gas 2019 F250 RWD to tow my 2018 Jayco 24.5 ckts fifth wheel. I am a newbie with heavy-duty trucks. And I have a question about steering with the fifth wheel hooked up. The two-wheel-drive version was the best choice for us because it is 3 inches shorter than the 4x4 F250 and fits under the fiver. And we aren't going anywhere we will need 4x4. The 4x4 would have been too tall and we didn't want to have to raise the trailer any further as the axles were already flipped. We just took it out for its first camping trip and it towed it like the trailer wasn't there. The trailer, loaded, has a pin weight of approximately 1,600 pounds and the truck squatted about 2 inches with the trailer on it. This is a small fifth wheel and well within the trucks specs with its payload rating, per door sticker, of 3,759 lbs and a rear GAWR of 6,340 lbs. I did notice though that the steering felt a little lighter with a tiny bit more play with the trailer on the pin versus the truck driving by itself. It didn't feel out of control or anything just a bit different.

Is that normal and to be expected? I am reluctant to add airbags to address the 2 inches of squat as that would put the trailer too nose high and be bad for the trailer axles. Are there any workarounds to shift some more weight onto the front axle or is the bit of extra play in the wheel nothing to be concerned about? Again, it was steering fine it just felt slightly different loaded than unloaded. Thanks!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/19 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 5th wheel normally will have almost no effect on the steering. The pin sits directly over the axle (or within a couple inches), therefore there is no leverage to lift the front axle.

2" of squat will well within normal tolerance when loaded.

If you are really concerned, take it into a shop and make sure the suspension looks in good shape...otherwise, it likely just feels a little different from what you are used to.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The pin sits directly over the axle (or within a couple inches), therefore there is no leverage to lift the front axle.

He should check the location on his rig, perhaps the pin does ride farther rear than most.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 02:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

or they're over payload.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing to check is tire air pressure. My 250 tire sticker on door jam states 75 front 80 rear. Mine steers best, when towing, at this psi. When tires/truck was new, it steered best at this pressure, even when not towing. After getting some miles on tires (maybe 5K) the steering noticeably improved. I still air to 75F 80R when towing, but lower rear to 70 psi when not towing. I should mention, my truck has HD service suspension (similar to 350).

You are removing very little weight from the front axle with that pin wt. Not sure how many miles on your new truck, but I'd give it a little time.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

or they're over payload.

Unlikely from the description.

Even if the pin weight is double what the sticker suggests, he is still unlikely to be over payload.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

The pin sits directly over the axle (or within a couple inches), therefore there is no leverage to lift the front axle.

He should check the location on his rig, perhaps the pin does ride farther rear than most.

Unless it's mounted to the tailgate, this isn't likely.

With 8ft bed, at most you could push the hitch back maybe 2ft...Let's assuming the pin weight is really 2000lb...that's 4000lb-ft at the rear axle. Assuming 10ft wheel base, that's only 400lb off the front axle which likely starts around 3000lb. (this is a very extreme set of assumpitons).

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Load up for a trip, and make a stop at the scales, then you will know. Me??

Truck Truck and Trailer Trailer
Front 4800 4800 8050 Pin 1600
Rear 3250 4850 Trailer 9650
Total 8050 9650 Combined 17,700

Now I know, no guessing.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that before we get too far into the ozone layer we need to hear back from he duckman on how he is running his tire pressure when loaded. [emoticon]

Nighduckman

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, I am a bit embarrassed to say (as a newbie) that I hadn't checked. The truck is all of three weeks old and I put a brand new set of General Grabber ATX tires on the rear for traction if I ever encounter mud etc. So, the tires were running at whatever pressure the dealership and the tire dealer set them at. Now I know better. I stopped by a 4x4 shop this AM and they said, as I have heard from others, that it might be a good idea to put a set of "helper springs" on the rear as that could address some of the squat and make the ride feel more solid and the steering a bit more sure. Since we want to eventually get a camper once we downsize from the fiver, and special rear springs are what is included in the Ford "camper package" upgrade, it strikes me as a reasonable modification and one that isn't too expensive. Certainly won't hurt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Newbie towing question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.