Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How many of you winter camp? Suggestions for winter camping?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How many of you winter camp? Suggestions for winter camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jseyfert3

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all,

We're a couple with no kids. Own a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2305 we bought summer of last year. The problem with owning a boat and a camper is that we have no winter hobbies. Well, except if we go winter camping! It won't be crowded and we can try picking up snowshowing if there's enough snow.

So, the Rockwood is definitely made as a three season camper. That said, with the plywood/fiberglass/styrofoam sandwich they make it out of, it's quite well insulated. A space heater can keep up all on its own in the 40's. We've currently camped down to about 27 °F at night or so. Biggest issue was condensation on the windows.

The DW's requirements were that we have full use of the onboard plumbing if we winter camp, so yesterday I just installed heating pads on all three tanks, waste pipe lines, and gate valves. Within the next couple weeks I'll go back to connect all the wiring and put heat wire on the freshwater line.

So, assume we have:
  • Insulation and/or window film to cut down on window condensation
  • Exterior plumbing protected by heaters
  • Dehumidifier to get rid of humidity and avoid wall/window condensation
  • DIY air/air heat exchanger like the one make by RickW on this forum in 2012 for fresh air
  • 30 amp electric service with a Honda 2200 as backup in case of power loss

What else should we consider for the camper, or suggestions for winter camping in general?

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are waiting search this Forum for `winter camping' and read on.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winter Camping Posts

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan.
WE made one winter in a 30' 5er with a 13" slide. This trailer had two grey and one black water tanks. I also had a heat blanket attached to their bottoms and then had the tanks encapsulated with expanding foam. The trailer was a typical summer 3 season camper with R7 floors/sidewalls and roof.
I made inside storm windows from 1/8" Lexan and being set up permanent I used mobile home skirting.
I also wrapped the fresh water hose with a thermostat controlled heat tape and usual recommended insulation that goes along with it.
We had no freezing issues down to zero temps and 40 mph winds.

Biggest problem was interior sweating especially inside closets. We tried more fans....open windows and vents/etc but all that did was make a cold still wet, drafty camper with the heat going full time. We didn't git rid of moisture issue till we bought two dehumidifiers.

If we had top use a RV in the winter again its going to be one with a full time (real) 4 season package.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love winter camping. The challenge is finding a place to camp. Despite high demands Oregon state parks closes many parks for no aparent reason. A whole different envirnment in winter. Quieter for sure. Smart to use dehumidifier. Makes a huge difference in our hybrid

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dehumidifier is a must imo. That's the only real way to cut down the condensation other than cranking up the heat.
Also, keep the slides in at night.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are well prepared. Only issue is the inaccessable fresh water pipes could still freeze depending how cold it gets. Worst case you just roll out. Don't forget to remove the external shower spray... doubt DW will need this.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the desert best in winter. Going south gets you some daylight. That is the greatest challenge and the wonderful thing about an RV in winter, you have a place to be with lights out of the weather in all of that darkness. I catch up on my reading.

In Wisconsin, consider a trip south to somewhere like Arkansas. The North Woods are tough in winter. For a couple of days it is great to get out close to home. I really like a good fire in winter during the day. I use some canvas to make a windbreak. It takes some planning to be comfortable.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5er has a residential refrigerator and it's a 4 season, full time living unit, and sells with that advertisement. After last winter, realizing how much heat from the furnace pumped into the underbelly, I know why it can withstand temps down to zero.

However, in all their attempts to protect all the water lines ... um ... they missed one. It's the small line that runs to the refrigerator for the ice maker. It's actually in the slide, and about 2 feet of it is 100% exposed, no insulation, no nothing. Even if the ice maker in the refrigerator is turned off, and the rest of the camper is running water, that 1 and 1/2 to 2 foot of exposed line will still have water in it, and freeze, possibly break, and have no easy way to shut off forward of that exposed area.

May be advertised a 4 season 5er, but it's really not. Sorry Keystone, you missed it on this one by 2 feet! I winterize anyway with pink stuff.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

Dehumidifier is a must imo. That's the only real way to cut down the condensation other than cranking up the heat.
Also, keep the slides in at night.

We always crack the vent in the bathroom. Been winter camping for over 10 years and never had inside condensation issues unless you try to keep the rig sealed up tight. It NEEDS to vent.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How many of you winter camp? Suggestions for winter camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.