Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes in Air Temp and Tire PSI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Changes in Air Temp and Tire PSI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If airing up tires to 80 PSI (Manufacturer recommended Max cold pressure indicated on tire) while air temp is 45 degrees and then traveling to a warm climate, will I likely have to let some air out? What I'm getting at is this....I start out with air temps at 45 degrees, tires at 80 PSI. I travel to where the air temp is 80 degrees. From past experience here in the Northeast, I know that my tire PSI in the summer when traveling gets to near 100 PSI when air temps are in the 80's and remain around that temperature for the duration of my trip. But now, I'll be airing up tires to 80 PSI and going from a cool air temperature to a warm temperature along with hot tires from traveling. From what I've read, tire pressure increases about 2% for each 10 degree increase in temperature. Using that as a guide, my tire pressure will be in the neighborhood of 105-110 PSI. Should I start out at something less than 80 PSI or is this something I shouldn't be overly concerned with?

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a rule of thumb, air pressure in tires incraase about one psi for a temperature increase of 10 degrees F.

Tire pressure should be set when cold. That is such as first thing in the morning or when the tires have not been running for at least 3 hours. The settings specified assume an ambient temperature of about 72 deg F.

If the air temp you have is different, you can make a calculation such as: if ambient temperature is 52 deg F, reduce your pressure by 2 psi.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always neat to always have a 12VDC AIR COMPRESSOR in your vehicle... We carry one all the time and usually find a good use for it on every trip we make...

I sit mine on the truck tail gate and clamp into 12VDC on the trailer tongue batteries. The hose then will walk around to all tires including my truck...

Roy Ken
[image]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As always check the pressure and adjust when cold. If you change climate or altitude simply check and adjust pressure the next morning before you roll and before the sun is on the tires.

Do not compensate in advance or check en-route. The tire manufacturer knows the pressure increases during travel and this is built into the design and recommended cold pressure.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if you're going from cold to warm, you can let some air out when you get warm.
Not certain there's really a hard fast guideline but as you know, your tires seem to run fine when you're nearing 100psi, by your own words.
Personally, I wouldn't get too wrapped up over it, but it certainly can't hurt to air down a bit once the weather warms up.
FWIW, altitude has a similar effect. Higher the altitude, the higher your psi will get. Think that's about 1 psi per 1000' elevation as well.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That max pressure rating on the tires is for maximum loading and weight numbers on the tire. The actual pressure required should be listed somewhere on the rv. It will usually be less than the max pressure printed on the tire.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I'll check each morning of our trip and adjust accordingly.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told by a tire industry guy of 30 years experience that all tires (bike or tuck or wheel barrow) are stamped with a rating one half of what the tire can take.
So roughly. an 80 psi tire should hold 160 psi.

Reason for this might be varied, one being variables in quality control from one tire to the next - safety margin, but the main one is that tires will heat up when driven, and when driven to hotter climates.

My 80 pis tire went to 125psi just going from 80 degrees to 115 degree climate. This was combo of ambient temps and the heat generated from driving - mostly heat from driving with a lot of weight on the tires.

It is smart to check psi in this situation, but a warm tire would not need to be deflated back to the cold psi rating (in this case 80), rather something around 100 would be fine. When cold the tire will likely be under inflated, so check again and be ready to add air back when conditions change.

Psi monitors are a good thing to have, but the affordable ones are rated for 40 psi, and our RVs need over 100psi rating to be of any use. These are more pricey.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Thanks everyone. I'll check each morning of our trip and adjust accordingly.

Good plan, that's what I'd do. Some mornings of your trip may not be a big temp difference. In this case I'd not bother to let out, or add just a pound or two, rather just check again the next morning.

Jerry

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rob, it's nothing to get too OCD about. Based on your first post, I wouldn't adjust anything for "temperature" on only a 40-50 deg temp swing. I mean, you "could" let 1 psi out every morning if the temp is 10 deg warmer than the night before, but real-world, it won't matter.
Chances are, the pressure gauge you're using and the "calculation" your using to get to your desired pressures are not accurate to within 1-2 psi. Some folks might think they are and some carry multiple tire gauges and have their best "calibrated" one, lol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Changes in Air Temp and Tire PSI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS