Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changes in Air Temp and Tire PSI
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Changes in Air Temp and Tire PSI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My 80 pis tire went to 125psi just going from 80 degrees to 115 degree climate. This was combo of ambient temps and the heat generated from driving - mostly heat from driving with a lot of weight on the tires."

If this is actually true and not a typo, then you would have 3rd degree burns on your hands from touching the tire and the air inside would be roughly the temperature of a pizza oven.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going 80F to 115F is fairly common for some of us in coastal CA driving to Vegas. And I will assure the OP no one is adjusting air pressure enroute.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you are going to do, check every morning, but I would bleed any off if it were only 5 psi or so. If it gets above 10 over yes. I may affect your handling and ride, (assuming a MH or tow vehicle).
Years ago, we left home (north of Toronto) , the temp was about -20F and pressures set for ambient cold at 80 psi and 65psi in front (c-class). Later in the trip, after getting on the road in the morning, the handling was a nightmare and horribly rough ride, only thoughts were about the pothole I'd hit the day before, not tire pressures. Next day I checked the tire pressure before getting on the road, The fronts were well over 90psi. After reducing the pressure to the appropriate pressures, the ride and handling were back to normal.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the previous posts. Just wanted to mention that wear on the tire will indicate if your pressure and your driving is causing uneven wear you should re-asses. If your pressure is low, the wear will be close to the sidewall. If your pressure is too high, the middle of the tire will wear more.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

My 80 pis tire went to 125psi just going from 80 degrees to 115 degree climate. This was combo of ambient temps and the heat generated from driving - mostly heat from driving with a lot of weight on the tires.

It is smart to check psi in this situation, but a warm tire would not need to be deflated back to the cold psi rating (in this case 80), rather something around 100 would be fine. .....

Absolutely, not fine and very dangerous advice. Never, ever deflate a hot tire because the pressure increases due to driving. If it is hot and you are carrying a heavy load at high speed, the solution is to slow down. Even then expect high pressure during highway driving in hot weather.

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gonzo42 wrote:

As a rule of thumb, air pressure in tires incraase about one psi for a temperature increase of 10 degrees F. …...

Sorry that only applies to passenger car tires - 30 psi or so.

For higher pressure tires use 3% for every 10°F. So for an 80 psi tire, that's 2.4 psi for every 10°F - or from 45°F to 80°F, it's 8.4 psi increase.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think since there's so much different information being provided that doing as I posted earlier, checking each morning of our trip and adjusting accordingly, would be the best thing to do. I have a TPMS system so I'll know if pressures and/or temperatures get out of the normal range.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Absolutely, not fine and very dangerous advice. Never, ever deflate a hot tire because the pressure increases due to driving. If it is hot and you are carrying a heavy load at high speed, the solution is to slow down. Even then expect high pressure during highway driving in hot weather.

Maybe so. I never deflate tires in middle of drive so do not know. The tire should be able to handle being heated up and the increased psi that goes with it.
So, what happens if a tire is deflated a little bit?

pizza-oven guy, 115 deg is hot to walk around in all day, but not going to burn anything. A sauna is usually 180 degrees by comparison. water boils at 212.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

So, what happens if a tire is deflated a little bit?

Tires flex and build up heat which increases the pressure and decreases the flexing. If you lower the pressure the tire is going to flex excessively which will shorten its life and if severe enough will cause a failure.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pure nitrogen has ZERO advantage in car/truck/trailer tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Changes in Air Temp and Tire PSI
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS