cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frameless windows question

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at a new RV and I like the look of the frameless windows. But one of the dealers I talked to was trying to talk me out of that option because according to him they have problems leaking. Does anyone with frameless windows have any problems with them leaking? I really like the look of them but also do not water in my RV.
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds
32 REPLIES 32

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
One thing about the frameless windows that I don't like is that they don't swing out very far. I got this idea from someone else on the internet, except I used 3/4" electrical PVC conduit, which happens to be Open Range gray. Just cut it to the length you want, and I used a 45 degree elbow, cut the end for the correct angle, leaving a tab to fit into the emergency window slot. The window handle slides all the way into the conduit snugly. I made 2 of these for the living area and it cost about $5. I may add pins if I get worried about the wind.

I've now used these a bunch of times over the summer and they work great.

Thanks for the post. I like that idea. My wheels are turning one step further and make the prop adjustable. LOL
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
2 retired Greyhounds

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have Hehr frameless windows on an eleven year old trailer. I like the look and deal with the small openings by using the fan. Leaving them open in the rain is a nice feature especially in the Northwest. I had one leak due to a misalignment of a seal; some foam tape fixed that. One of the opener mechanisms came unglued from the glass. Gorilla glue made it good as new.

I use Meguires water spot remover to remove the spots on my windows with an electric buffer. Frameless windows makes the job a breeze as you can buff to the very edge of the glass. If I was ever again in the market, I wouldn't hesitate to get frameless windows.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks JK.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing about the frameless windows that I don't like is that they don't swing out very far. I got this idea from someone else on the internet, except I used 3/4" electrical PVC conduit, which happens to be Open Range gray. Just cut it to the length you want, and I used a 45 degree elbow, cut the end for the correct angle, leaving a tab to fit into the emergency window slot. The window handle slides all the way into the conduit snugly. I made 2 of these for the living area and it cost about $5. I may add pins if I get worried about the wind.

I've now used these a bunch of times over the summer and they work great.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
JK I canโ€™t log in. Could you please post a photo.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
We even got the " dual pane " windows. These have been great as they don't sweat. The only real negative that I've heard on the frame-less is that they are more prone to breakage if struck on the edge. I have not talked to anyone where this actually happened. I have one window near the door that I don't open to far due to this. On top of that they made the door with out any securing hardware. Future Mod.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last spring I helped a guy at the campground fit up a piece of plywood to temporarily replace a swing out panel on one of his frameless windows that dropped to the ground in the middle of the night.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tin-bender wrote:
I also worried about "no breeze" because of the narrow opening abilitty of them but like the salesman said, "turn the Fantastic Fan on low and you have all the breeze you need" Darned if he wasn't right.
Tinbender

The emergency exit windows swing wide open, so I made a couple of these:
https://www.openrangeowners.com/ORforum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24604
JK
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double post
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
Tin-bender wrote:
I also worried about "no breeze" because of the narrow opening abilitty of them but like the salesman said, "turn the Fantastic Fan on low and you have all the breeze you need" Darned if he wasn't right.
Tinbender

LOL Kind of what I was thinking.
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
2 retired Greyhounds

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Tin-bender wrote:
Tinbender

I agree that I rarely have my windows open. But it would be nice to have that option. I do not have frame.ess windows.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tin-bender wrote:
Tinbender

^^^ YUP, THIS ^^^
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Tinbender

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first unit we've had with them. They do look nice, but I'll echo what others have been saying...I do miss sliding open the window for more breeze thru. That said, it seems like most camping we do is in the southwest so really, we are only opening windows in that situation when it's cooler out.