Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Frameless windows question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Frameless windows question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Jayco25E

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are looking at a new RV and I like the look of the frameless windows. But one of the dealers I talked to was trying to talk me out of that option because according to him they have problems leaking. Does anyone with frameless windows have any problems with them leaking? I really like the look of them but also do not water in my RV.

2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have them on our 213 Cedar Creek and have never had a window leak. Our unit has been in a few heavy rain storm with strong winds and nary a leak.
I like the looks of them and they are easier to clean IMO.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no leaks here on our '16 class a. my biggest objection to frameless windows is reduced fresh air. we have crank out "flipper" windows which don't permit as much air flow as slider windows but they generally can be left open during gentle rains.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have observed whenever the RV industry comes up with something like this it is for them and NOT for the consumer. Why in the world would a frameless window be a good idea?

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I happen to like the way they look. My Cardinal is loaded with them. Two have leaked over the years, and both have been fixed. No big deal.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since there are no mounting hardware showing how is the glass attached to the opening hardware. I believe they are bonded. If so over time the adhesive may fail! It’s too early to tell that though. They do look good though. But how are they thermo pane with that type of mounting system?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't care for them due to the reduced air flow, because I like having the windows open when the weather permits. And I have read about some people having issues with the windows coming off. Only read about that a couple times though.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frameless is sort of a misnomer as they still have a frame. The glass itself does not have a frame.

I have not heard of many leaking issues and the ones I have heard of have been the clamp frame leaking due to bad installation, which is the same configuration as any RV window. The outside frame goes into the opening, the inside frame acts as a clamp when the screws are run in and tightened down. We have had them on the current and prior trailers we have owned, and never had a leak.

They are also referred to as "bonded" windows. Because the hinge extrusion and operator channel are bonded to the glass panel with an adhesive.

Here's the issues I have seen, had myself, or heard about.

1- There have been instances of the glass separating from the hinge extrusion due to adhesive failure and the glass panel falls off the trailer.
2- There have been issues of windows opening on their own while traveling down the highway, due to the cheap operator hardware used.
3- There have been issues with the operator arms breaking because they're cheap and chincy.
4- They only open about 3"-4" depending on the height of the glass, but it's easy to mod the cheap hardware to get them to open further to 6"-8", but your taking a chance with the cheap hardware. Once modded they really need treated with kid gloves.
5- Most, if not all are made by LCI, which goes a long way to explain why there are the first 3 issues.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had any issues with mine, but I agree with what WV says above. I think another reason manufacturers like them is they save a lot of weight over double pane windows, and probably saves them money too.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me guess, the salesman had a unit on their lot that did not have frameless windows that he had a drop dead deal on ??

I have had frameless ( dual pane ) on my last 3 RV's and love them, we have never had a leak as well...

Joe

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Frameless windows question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.