cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A. Wheel size

seedhay
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know if this is the place for this question. I am a year away from upgrading from class C Ford 29 ft to 31 to 35 foot class A. The new Ford A chassis should be out by then with the bigger engine and 10 speed trans. My first question is the bigger engine going to be a V 10? Second is opinion from current owners that have had both 19.5 and 22.5 tires. I am excavating contractor and have always gone with biggest wheels possible. Problem I have is most 32 footers are 19.5 rubber ( but is my preferred size for coach. Or the 35’s with the 22.5

Thanks in advance for you opinions
Seedhay
25 REPLIES 25

illinois_mark
Explorer
Explorer
I looked for 22.5 when moving up to an A . Ours is a 32vs Fleetwood.You get larger outside storage bins with the larger wheels

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
By the way I looked on line at the super high end coaches don't offer anything like a 19.5 in rim on any. Look at how long and what they carry just a real house with everything needed,
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
grldst wrote:
crawford wrote:
grldst wrote:
Some of the larger 19.5's will carry as much or more weight then a smaller 22.5. I have driven Class A's with both sizes, and the difference in ride in my opinion was insignificant.

Please explain I have never seen a tractor trailer with a 19.5 in rim all I ever seen was 22.5 with heavy load. Rv were the only thing I ever thing Ive seen have this weird size tire rim.

A 285x70Rx19.5 has a load rating of 6610 lbs

A 10Rx 22.5 has a load rating of 5675 lbs

I am not trying to say a 19.5 will or can carry more weight then a 22.5 tire. I am stating that on many gas chassis the option of going with a 22.5 or 19.5 tire does not have anything to do with weight carrying capacity. A 19.5 tire can safely carry the weight.

X2

And again if they can carry more weight why do tractor trailer have 22.5 in rims for heavy loads and not 19.5 rims if they are so good. You would think they would want the superior tire to carry the heavy loads they do carry.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have driven in MH's with 22.5 and 19.5 tires but I could never tell the difference in ride. Friends that owned both said the same thing, but felt like the larger tire may provide some safety factor. I just test drove two identical Rav4's one with 19 in tires and one with 17 in tires again I could not feel any difference in ride. I bought the one with 17 in tires, it seemed to have a higher aspect ratio. I would not let the tire size be a determining factor.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

I'd suggest that you look at the broader picture. It's not just about the load that the tires can take. The tires transfer their load to another surface. (it's called the roadway, whatever that surface might be) When you have smaller tires, they must transfer higher unit loads to the surface they are in contact with. That means that they have the potential to overload the contact surface. Your potential to get stuck on soft surfaces goes up the more highly your tires are loaded and the softer the surface is.

There are many other factors (benefits) to larger tires/wheels but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

Chum lee

Only if the tires were close to being max weight, mine are not, I have something around a extra 5500 pounds carrying weight on tires over my gross weight of 20,500lbs weight.

As to surface contact I don't see a issue with a 19.5 at these weights, maybe 30,000 plus lbs but not 20,500 lbs.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
seedhay wrote:
I don’t know if this is the place for this question. I am a year away from upgrading from class C Ford 29 ft to 31 to 35 foot class A. The new Ford A chassis should be out by then with the bigger engine and 10 speed trans. My first question is the bigger engine going to be a V 10? Second is opinion from current owners that have had both 19.5 and 22.5 tires. I am excavating contractor and have always gone with biggest wheels possible. Problem I have is most 32 footers are 19.5 rubber ( but is my preferred size for coach. Or the 35’s with the 22.5

Seedhay

I have 19.5 tires on a 33 foot motorhome with 2 slide outs and never a issue with the tires, as to weight carrying also no issue, my 6 tires carry more weight than the 20,500 lb chassis does.

Also a plus for 19.5 is you can carry a full mounted spare and they cost less..

I'd suggest that you look at the broader picture. It's not just about the load that the tires can take. The tires transfer their load to another surface. (it's called the roadway, whatever that surface might be) When you have smaller tires, they must transfer higher unit loads to the surface they are in contact with. That means that they have the potential to overload the contact surface. Your potential to get stuck on soft surfaces goes up the more highly your tires are loaded and the softer the surface is.

There are many other factors (benefits) to larger tires/wheels but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

Chum lee

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
grldst wrote:
crawford wrote:
grldst wrote:
Some of the larger 19.5's will carry as much or more weight then a smaller 22.5. I have driven Class A's with both sizes, and the difference in ride in my opinion was insignificant.

Please explain I have never seen a tractor trailer with a 19.5 in rim all I ever seen was 22.5 with heavy load. Rv were the only thing I ever thing Ive seen have this weird size tire rim.

I am not trying to say a 19.5 will or can carry more weight then a 22.5 tire. I am stating that on many gas chassis the option of going with a 22.5 or 19.5 tire does not have anything to do with weight carrying capacity. A 19.5 tire can safely carry the weight.

X2

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My preference would be to buy a slightly used motor home, so I wouldn't waiting to buy the new Ford model. I ended up buying a used one with the 19" tires and haven't had a problem and it works well for our traveling i.e. we're not full timers. I can see trying to get one with the 22" tires if possible, but I'd be more concerned about floor plan, quality, and cargo capacity if looking for a used unit. If buying new, I'd go for the 22" tire as long as the cargo capacity was is adequate, based upon the reputation for better ride quality with the larger tire.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
grldst wrote:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are buying a new RV.. well then there is this tool you have that can get you most anything you want (Provided it is possible) including 22.5" tires.

It's called your rear end...... Exiting the door... while the bottom line looks like this: Buyer's Signature: ____________________
(notice that it's blank)

If it means getting a signature on that line.. They will find a way to give you 22.5's.. For to a salesman there is one and only one problem.. that blank line.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
seedhay wrote:

Seedhay

I have 19.5 tires on a 33 foot motorhome with 2 slide outs and never a issue with the tires, as to weight carrying also no issue, my 6 tires carry more weight than the 20,500 lb chassis does.

Also a plus for 19.5 is you can carry a full mounted spare and they cost less..

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 90’s F53s had 16”. My Honda toad had 17”.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
grldst wrote:

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
wrong post sorry