cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route suggestions please!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Dec. to travel out west to see sites in Southern Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and other states. We fulltime so we do not have a time schedule. Not sure what are the best routes to take to see interesting places along way. Any suggestions are very appreciated. Thank you Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
20 REPLIES 20

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
For the west side of Big Bend national Park try Maverick Ranch RV Park Lajitas Texas - great park we paid $35 per night for a week there recently

Take the rowboat in Big Bend Park to Mexico - we had a great breakfast over looking the Rio Grande

How do I get there?
Park at the Boquillas Crossing parking lot near Boquillas Canyon. After passing through the port of entry visitors are ferried across the Rio Grande on a small rowboat for a modest fee ($5 round-trip). Walking across the river is permitted only at the Boquillas Crossing, but is not recommended if the river level is high.

Once across the river visitors have the option of walking to the village (1/2 mile) or paying an additional fee to ride on a burro, horse, or in a vehicle. Local guides are available. Visitors are required to check in with Mexican immigration officials upon arrival in Boquillas. Visitors planning to stay overnight in Mexico will need to apply for a temporary visa. Secure overnight parking at the Boquillas Crossing Port of Entry may be available.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
Thank you all for the great information! Yes we will reserve a site at Davis Mountains State Park and visit all that was recommended. We do the stars!! Thanks again

A piece of advice. It would be wise to stock up before arriving at the Davis Mountains. It has one small grocery, as I remember, for example.

One of the best words to describe that part of West Texas is "remote." That is why the stars are so spectacular at night.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:

Organ Pipe NM is said to be hazardous because it is right on the border.

That is pure hearsay. A cat in the night couldn't squeeze through there.
The border area there and it's protective measures are worth seeing as much as the National Park.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great information! Yes we will reserve a site at Davis Mountains State Park and visit all that was recommended. We do the stars!! Thanks again
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

2) To the north a bit is Sonoma Caverns-its commercial right off I-10
3) McDonald Observatory if you like astronomy.
4) Ft Stockton-the old fort there.

Just to avoid any confusion and to provide additional information:

#2 I believe agesilaus is referring to the Caverns of Sonora, which is indeed private and close to I-10. I have visited. It is spectacular and there is a RV park there. Nothing fancy, but handy for visiting the caverns.
#3 Reserve a slot for a "Star Party" at the McDonald Observatory (again, if you are into astronomy, as agesilaus says). It is held on certain evenings during the week.
#4 Fort Davis is near the observatory and is a historic site. Both are near Davis Mountains State Park, a nice park which features full hookups and wifi.

I would consider reserving the Star Party and a site at Davis Mountains ahead of time if you care to visit.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
We did the I 10 route last year. Wanted to get as south as possible as fast as possible so went straight down to Baton Rouge the got on I10 west. It might not be the most exciting ride but it was spectacular to see coming from NYC. We are headed west again this winter leaving 1/3 so most probably the same route.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-40 will be too far north, snow storm, ice and wind all possible at any time. I-10 should be good as far as winter weather, but it can be windy across there too. We would go I-10 if it were us.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
We've made the trip from St Louis to Quartzsite on several occasions leaving the day after Christmas. We do our best to get as far south as we can before turning west. Just before our first trip, a friend that lives in Albuquerque warned me to stay off I-40. Best advice I ever took. As we were over-nighting in Las Cruces, we heard on the news that I-40 was closed at Albuquerque due to a blizzard - for 3 days! We've been heading down to Little Rock then across Dallas-Fort Worth towards Abilene to get on I-20 which runs into I-10 in western Texas. If you're going to San Antonio (nothing like the River Walk), you'll be a lot farther south that I-20. One of the sights to see in Austin is the nightly emergence of bats from the Congress Street Bridge - millions of them begin their nightly search for food right at sundown. It's a party every night - the TGIF overlooks the river right at the bridge and provides a great view.

Out west the temperature is all about altitude. The lower you can get, the warmer it is. No matter where you go, the sights are always spectacular! I enjoy every mile no matter where I am - it's a beautiful country.

If you're going to Organ Pipe, I might suggest staying at Holt's Shell service station and campground in Gila Bend, AZ just north of Organ Pipe. They offer a Pass Port America rate of less than $13/night (about $200/month) for full hook-ups. No frills but I don't do boondocking unless I have to. Be SURE to stop by Quartzsite, AZ the last full week of January when the BIG TENT is in operation for one of the biggest and best RV shows ever. I call it the Sturgis of RVing - every RVers should go there at least once. Nothing like it anywhere.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

You might want to consider getting some of these e-books. I suspect they'll help quite a bit with your travel planning.

We were at Organ Pipe Cactus in 2018. Soooo many boarder patrol agents, it's probably safer than most cities in the country.

Have fun.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tara, if you are full timing and have unlimited time, my advice would be to stay off the interstates. The two-lane roads are far more interesting.

Yes, they take longer, and yes, they are less safe on an accidents-per-mile-driven basis, or so they say. But they are fun, and you never know what you'll see in the small towns along the way!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
We will be leaving Dec. to travel out west to see sites in Southern Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and other states. We fulltime so we do not have a time schedule. Not sure what are the best routes to take to see interesting places along way. Any suggestions are very appreciated. Thank you Tara

Not too familiar with Texas other than getting caught in a hail storm in north
texas----$15K damage to my truck and trailer in 15 min.:( But I would keep an eye on the severe weather currently in Texas and make sure you have a Weather Station Radio that gets National weather in your trailer and in your RV.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
caysea7254 wrote:
Thank you everyone!!! We will be leaving from Tennessee heading out west! The suggestions for Texas we will definitely do each. A few we hadn't heard of. Ok we had planned on staying at Organ Pipe NM but not sure now. What would make that any different as far as danger as the rest of the towns and attractions in south Texas a d New Mexico And Arizona. We have talked to people that tell us to stay away from places like Big Bend and places close to the border then we have heard it completely safe!! Thanks everyone good information!

Well I saw a video from the local sheriff (IIRC) in the Organ Pipe Area warning that the park was now a no-go area because of the danger. That was a couple of years ago. But I see this video: Organ Pipe security so it may be safer now. That part at the end was kind of confusing tho, is that the fence at the park or is it the new more secure fence?

But I see this too: Wall construction were it looks like they are replacing that climbable mesh wall with the new version.

Big Bend seemed to be completely safe to us. We drove the entire River Road and the Mexican side seemed to be unpopulated. We did not go by the area where there is a Mexican village on the other side that people visit. We did see some signs of farming activity but that was past the west end of the State Park.

There is no fence and the Rio Grande is ankle deep in most places. But we saw zero Border Patrol units down there either. If someone crossed the border there the area around Big Bend is barren hot desert with zero cities and no big highways for many miles.

BTW stock up before you go down there, there is a small market in the Sturdy Butte area, but as you can imagine prices are high.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
You will be ok in Big Bend. I wouldn't hang out around Laredo late at night though.
I lived in Laredo for work for a year. Worked oilfield north of there,actually next to George Straits ranch. Just use common sense. Don't get all compassionate if you see migrants along the road. At most throw them a bottle of water without stopping. Most dangerous areas are isolated ranch roads.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!!! We will be leaving from Tennessee heading out west! The suggestions for Texas we will definitely do each. A few we hadn't heard of. Ok we had planned on staying at Organ Pipe NM but not sure now. What would make that any different as far as danger as the rest of the towns and attractions in south Texas a d New Mexico And Arizona. We have talked to people that tell us to stay away from places like Big Bend and places close to the border then we have heard it completely safe!! Thanks everyone good information!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC