cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions please!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We would love to boondock but we have a very hard time finding places that we feel secure at. We have solar and generator but want to try and find blm or forest land out west in texas new mexico arizona and california for winter time that have designated campsites. Last April we tried our 1st Blm location which was Craggy Wash just outside of Lake Havasu City and a very bad encounter with a very unkind man. The place was full of homeless people lurking at us like why are we here!! so we turned around and left and needless to say havent tried any others!! So suggestion on places that are not to isolated, that is not our cup of tea! Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
25 REPLIES 25

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Down load- โ€œfreecampsites,netโ€ this sites is prolly the best for locating BLM etc camping areas.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in south Fla now check out Dupris just east of lake Okeechobee. CG is free has water dump, bath rooms and showers. Very safe from people, saw a Florida panther there and a lots of alligators. Another in that area that is free is Corbet but have never been there just heard it was less attractive. Farther west is Big Cypress FHU's either $4 or $8/night. There are some NFS CG's further north that I like and are half price that are very nice and safe, Juniper and Alexander springs come to mind.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
No thank! That experience will not stop us from boondocking just not craggy wash!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope, avoidcrowds, that is not my intention at all. Boondocking really is quieter and is quite safe. But if you don't want to boondock (or can't, which is often the case when we are trying to make lots of miles at the beginnings and ends of trips), then we have found that as between campgrounds and RV parks, RV parks are quieter and more peaceful.

I am not saying that RV parks are nicer -- they are often just parking lots. But since there are hookups in RV parks and not in campgrounds, we find that RV parks are quieter -- no generators.

And because they are run by private, for-profit operators, RV parks are often better "policed" than are campgrounds -- the owners are not shy about telling the campers to be quiet, if need be. By contrast, campground hosts sometimes are somewhat more lax. Not all of them, but I am just reporting on what we have experienced.

Plus, in many RV parks, there are no fire pits. So the campers tend to migrate into their RVs in the evening to watch TV or a movie, rather than sitting around the fire playing music and drinking. Also, RV parks often tend to draw an older crowd of campers. Us seniors go to bed real early -- quiet, except for the occasional snore. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"Tara, if you want a relatively quiet experience and better security, think about RV parks,"

I see what you are doing, profdant, keeping boondocking to those of us already doing it. :B Tell others that campgrounds are better, and all.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP wrote about an encounter at Craggy Wash. These people are everywhere, and being concerned about more of these "meet ups" might cause you to top RVing.
We've met people that were horrible, but we will not let them stop us from travel. I think it might be called "situational awareness," where we try to watch what is happening around us. Don't let some jack *&( spoil the day.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
We would love to boondock but we have a very hard time finding places that we feel secure at. We have solar and generator but want to try and find blm or forest land out west in texas new mexico arizona and california for winter time that have designated campsites. Last April we tried our 1st Blm location which was Craggy Wash just outside of Lake Havasu City and a very bad encounter with a very unkind man. The place was full of homeless people lurking at us like why are we here!! so we turned around and left and needless to say havent tried any others!! So suggestion on places that are not to isolated, that is not our cup of tea! Thanks Tara

We like the area around Quartzsite, specfically Scadden Wash area. We've also enjoyed some time off of American Girl Mine road down near Yuma.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Boondock (BLM,forest) places don't have designated sites. For that you need dry campgrounds, like state or Federal parks.

Designated, no, but there are most definitely already-established sites in most of these areas that rangers can recommend.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
We too like the Long Term Areas around Quartzsite. There are great mountain views all around a 360 degree view to watch the sunrise or sunset. And you can get some great ideas on how to set up your rig for the ultimate boondocking experience. There are all types of rigs their from $400,000 coaches to older cobbled together RV's, buses and what nots.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!Appreciate all the great information!
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
In AZ you could try Coyote Howls East. Very large, sites spread out. They do have water at each site and a small laundry in 1 building.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you come into Southern California try Anza Borrego State park. It's huge and it's dispersed camping. I've been camping there every winter since 1984 and have never felt unsafe or threatened. But it is true boondocking as in drive slowly off the paved road onto the dirt road. Pick a nice looking bush or hillside or whatever and camp next to it. Here's a picture from one of my trips. Nearest neighbor was 1/2 mile away and yes that is a curious coyote looking to see if I left any treats out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
We like spending time in the LaPosa South LTVA about 2 miles south of Quartzsite. There's plenty of room to find a site far enough from your neighbors you won't bother them and they've never bothered us. Their is a fee requirement to stay here - $40 for two weeks or spend the whole season from the middle of September through the middle of April for $180. That fee covers your stay, use of the dump station. fresh water and trash dumpsters. Access to a dump, water and trash receptacles makes our stay so much easier. We spend a week boondocking outside the LTVA with a group before we go there but we make sure to arrive with empty tanks and leave their ready to dump before doing anything else. If we use one of the facilities in town to empty and refill, it costs as much as our stay in the LTVA.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/la-posa-long-term-visitor-area
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Community Alumni
Not applicable
caysea7254 wrote:

You may have picked a particular spot that is frequented by homeless people. There are many, many snowbirds boondocking around Lake Havasu that don't encounter any problems. Choose your spots wisely, if the people around look sketchy, go somewhere else.