Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: trailer size and campsites in National Parks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > trailer size and campsites in National Parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
robvasi

Utah

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a search and did not find any threads on this topic. I am sure there are, so I need some help finding them.

Based on what I read on the Parks site, along with several web sits, Several National Parks limit the combined length of the tow vehicle and the trailer to 40'. My truck is 19' so that means the trailer needs to be 21 feet or less. Is this accurate? (the rule, not the arithmetic)

I am in the process of buying a travel trailer and visit the National Parks, I want to choose the right size.

Please elaborate on the 40' rule

Thank you

Edit:

Tow Vehicle: 2016 RAM 1500 Sport 4WD 5.7 HEMI
Solo
Plan to visit National Parks
The trailer will be my year around home.
Hobby is photography

* This post was edited 10/29/19 12:17pm by robvasi *

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/12/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of the 49 National Parks in the lower 48 only 8 have full hookup sites and another 8 have sites with electric, leaving 33 with no camping at all - twenty one feet will limit you and you will soon grow to regret your decision

We have visited 31 or the 49 in the last 10 years


2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009


naturist

Lynchburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every park is different. Sometimes length limitations are due to site size and sometimes to trees or rocks along curves in the roads to the sites. I have been hosting in a NFS campground that has a part of the sites in which rvs are limited to 28 feet, but that means trailer under 28 feet. It’s because of the road; there are sites there that would fit a 64+ Class A or fifth wheel. You just can’t get one that size to the site.

I wouldn’t choose a trailer based on such a limitation, if I were you. Don’t put the cart before the horse. No matter what size you choose, there will be places you can’t take it. Make your choice based on floor plan and features.

It is true that smaller goes more places. But too small is no fun everywhere. In addition, know that rules like that 40 foot rule are both arbitrary and flexible. Nobody is going to take a tape measure to your rig and deny you because you are 6 inches too long. Or 2 feet too long. The rule is to guide folks, not forbid them. If you are skillful maneuvering a slightly longer rig, you’ll be fine. If you are very low skill, you might not be able to use even a slightly shorter one.

* This post was edited 10/29/19 07:45am by naturist *





robvasi

Utah

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Of the 49 National Parks in the lower 48 only 8 have full hookup sites and another 8 have sites with electric, leaving 33 with no camping at all - twenty one feet will limit you and you will soon grow to regret your decision

We have visited 31 or the 49 in the last 10 years


Do you mean 21' is too long or too small?

robvasi

Utah

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Every park is different. Sometimes length limitations are due to site size and sometimes to trees or rocks along curves in the roads to the sites. I have been hosting in a NFS campground that has a part of the sites in which rvs are limited to 28 feet, but that means trailer under 28 feet. It’s because of the road; there are sites there that would fit a 64+ Class A or fifth wheel. You just can’t get one that size to the site.

I wouldn’t choose a trailer based on such a limitation, if I were you. Don’t put the cart before the horse. No matter what size you choose, there will be places you can’t take it. Make your choice based on floor plan and features.

It is true that smaller goes more places. But too small is no fun everywhere. In addition, know that rules like that 40 foot rule are both arbitrary and flexible. Nobody is going to take a tape measure to your rig and deny you because you are 6 inches too long. Or 2 feet too long. The rule is to guide folks, not forbid them. If you are skillful maneuvering a slightly longer rig, you’ll be fine. If you are very low skill, you might not be able to use even a slightly shorter one.


I have owned a few boats and was skilled at backing, but I have not owned a trailer, this will be my first one.

I appreciate your insight. The trailer I choose will be my home for a few years. Thus, making the right choice is important. With regard to your thoughtful reply, I am now looking at the Lance 1995. I toured one yesterday and it seemed about right.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 10/29/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal decision but I would at least get one large enough to have a walk around bed and a slideout usually in the 24'-26' range. Some of the older COE parks were built many years ago when a 20' trailer was the norm.

Others will chime in with more knowledge then I on the subject.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/12/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robvasi wrote:

rr2254545 wrote:

Of the 49 National Parks in the lower 48 only 8 have full hookup sites and another 8 have sites with electric, leaving 33 with no camping at all - twenty one feet will limit you and you will soon grow to regret your decision

We have visited 31 or the 49 in the last 10 years


Do you mean 21' is too long or too small?


Way too small

prichardson

Lafayette, La

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stayed at many National Parks and have found that as long as the TT is under 30' in length you will be able to get into most. Just about all are dry camping and a few have have some sites with limited hook ups.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, am looking at the Lance 1995, as well as a Winnebago 2108tb. The extra two feet comes in a slightly narrower body.

pinesman

virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan to focus on national Parks, you might want to consider tank size and room for extra batteries as well since you will most likely be dry camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > trailer size and campsites in National Parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.