Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Netflix forces newer TVs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Netflix forces newer TVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Roku will fix your problem in 5 minutes. Every 5 years or so you'll need a new one. It completely replaces the hardware you're concerned about.

A smart tv really is a somewhat stupid idea in the first place. The useful life of a tv exceeds that of internet technology by quite a bit. A "smart tv" really should just be a tv and a Roku.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MickeyFan0805 wrote" RCA cables are analog transmitters, I'm actually surprised you could use them with current streaming services at all."

Answer: the Insignia HDMI to RCA does the conversion to analog. (see previous posts)

Why am I still using analog? The 55-inch rear projection TV has a picture that is good enough for me, so I see no reason to replace it as long as it is still working. I have a 38-inch flat screen in the next room, but I still like the 55-inch rear projection monster.

NatParkJunkie

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

like others said, wait until black Friday/cyber Monday and get an amazon firestick. They'll likely be 1/2 price then.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

At one time the in-laws had a set like this with all the family pictures on top. When the TV blew they popped out the old tube and slipped in a flat screen. Never did look right but the family pics still had a home [emoticon]

[image]

One of my high school jobs was fixing these things. Everything form adjusting turntable speeds to swapping tubes to soldering in new components. I was hired because I was young with a strong back that could move these things - Then they found out I could fix them too...

BTW: We converted a few of these old sets into rabbit hutches after gutting out the insides.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

At one time the in-laws had a set like this with all the family pictures on top. When the TV blew they popped out the old tube and slipped in a flat screen. Never did look right but the family pics still had a home [emoticon]

[image]

12 years ago when our 60” rear projection CRT TV died, it was also in a nice large oak cabinet with doors and on wheels. I gutted the contents and painted the inside walls black, turning it into a backless cabinet. A 52” on its glass shelf stand fit perfectly inside. We use the top for all kinds of decorations and would have missed it.

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Hulu account said that my smart TV operating system was no longer supported and as such I couldn't view Hulu on my smart TV any longer. As a work around I cast Hulu from my iPhone to the TV via the house router and a Chromecast device plugged into the back of the TV.

* This post was edited 10/30/19 10:42am by allen8106 *

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked my 9 year old Sony 60" flatscreen. Netflix is dropping support for it on December 1st.

Fortunately I've used my PS3 for Netflix for the last 8 years as it renders the picture far better than the app on the smart TV.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a smart TV
My Vizio does have 3 HDMI inputs and I use other electronics to feed it hd video from the web, usually my laptop, but some times my tablet, it works great with my blu-ray player or my hdmi recorder

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input from everybody. We already have a Firestick so I logged into Netflix thru that and get no error message. It makes me wonder if Spectrum is the problem and not the TV.

* This post was edited 11/07/19 06:54am by an administrator/moderator *

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Thanks for the input from everybody. We already have a Firestick so I logged into Netflix thru that and get no error message. It makes me wonder if Spectrum is the problem and not the TV.
No, it's Netflix dropping support for certain devices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Netflix forces newer TVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS