Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Mysteries of RV design
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Mysteries of RV design

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

Since so many rechargeable devices are around today, why aren't there more 12V or USB ports in RVs? The only 12V outlets are at the TV hookups.

I was about to say the same thing. Pretty sure my phone charger isn't going to drain down both RV batteries very quickly, so why not have a plug or two that it will work on without running the generator or being hooked up?

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

jseyfert3

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a good idea. Our camper has one cigarette ligter outlet and two USB outlets, but they are all tucked behind the TV and not easily reached. I should add more outlets while I'm upgrading our batteries.

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

Since so many rechargeable devices are around today, why aren't there more 12V or USB ports in RVs? The only 12V outlets are at the TV hookups.
AGREED! Mine had one 12v plug on the dash, and one next to the passenger seat. Nowhere else in this 30' RV did they add a 12v outlet. Of course there are tons of 120VAC outlets throughout...only problem is we spend 80% of our time boondocking.

I added 3 double-USB ports (1 on dash, 2 in bedroom). Silly part is that even when we camp with hookups, I have only ever used 1 120VAC outlet, for the coffee maker.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Jayco has the awning switch upstairs on the far side of the dresser.
Having faith is Jayco I figured there had to be one somewhere in the front storage area as well. There may be one but I can't find it if there is. I need to just run wires and put a switch in myself but I haven't done it for 6 years. The awning can't tilt to drain so we never leave it out and it's so high off the ground you can't reach it to hang lights or whatever.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

On my '04 Itasca, the range hood & light are built in to the underside of the microwave...and they are 120VAC. So unless I have hookups or use the generator, I have no light/fan over my LPG stove! [emoticon]

Huuuuh ... those are 12V on my 2005 Itasca ... just like the rest of the lights and fans in it!!

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 03:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Have fun posting your mysteries...

I’ll start - my circa 2018 truck camper has a fancy stainless steel microwave/range vent/range light unit. The range vent lid must be opened and closed by moving 2 little plastic tits from the outside, while holding the lid closed. It is about 10 foot off the ground when the camper is on the truck.

My 1989 Fleetwood trailer had a vent hood that was opened and closed by a control from inside.

My Palomino TC is the same. I use a broom handle to open and close the tabs whenever we use the vent fan, which is not often because we cook outside 95% of the time.

Lakeside

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

4x4van wrote:

On my '04 Itasca, the range hood & light are built in to the underside of the microwave...and they are 120VAC. So unless I have hookups or use the generator, I have no light/fan over my LPG stove! [emoticon]

Huuuuh ... those are 12V on my 2005 Itasca ... just like the rest of the lights and fans in it!!

The separate range hood is 12V. The ones built into the microwave are 120V.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added two 12v outlets and will add a third one. The water pump switch was/is on the dash. I added one on the edge of the cabinet over the sink and another one in the bathroom where it can be reached while sitting down.

BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have added 5 12 volt outlets to my TT. One right next to the door mounted through the side of a cabinet, one above each seat of the dinette, and one in each of the outside access doors. They really come in handy for charging phones, plugging in my 12 volt compressor, etc.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another generator start switch by the door would be helpful for me. And thankfully my kids are older so the TV hidden 40% by the slideout when in would be an issue. Also, I don't think the people that designed my dash board have ever driven a car. All my switches are almost at floor level. The radio is near impassible to reach while driving. And you have to move your head to far to look at the rear view monitor. I'm taking care of all that this winter. My winter project is to make a new center stack and floor console. Stationary we love the coach!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Mysteries of RV design
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS