cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mileage observations

mnaquaman
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 4000 mile road trip. Flatlands, hilly, mountains, wind - everything but rain!

Over the coarse of 29 fuel stops and trying many different speeds, gears & rpms. I think I found the sweet spot - 65mph @ 2100rpm in 5th gear. Running a lower RPM in 6th gear caused a de-crease in fuel economy and the engine felt like it was lugging some. Of coarse if I ran at 55mph I think I would see some improvement - just a bit to slow.

Over the whole trip I averaged 10.22 MPG - 200-300 miles of these miles I was not towing the trailer. I don't really budget my fuel expenses, however I was hoping for 10mpg and half way expecting it to be in the 9's - so overall I am happy with my results.

Worst MPG: 7.62 into a stiff head wind
Best MPG: 11.96 in the mountains, lower speed and thinner air.

Wind & Speed kill MPG - the old rule of increase your speed by 10mph and watch your mileage drop by 10% holds true! I had one day that I was on dead flat roads with no wind 70mph - 9.79mpg, 65mph - 10.96mpg.

2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3l, 3:42 gears
2017 Jayco 23BHM - weighs in around 6000lbs.
Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ
35 REPLIES 35

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP has a gasoline engine that produces peak torque at about 4000 rpm. He is finding he gets better fuel economy at 2000 rpm than by running at a lower rpm in a higher gear. If you look at brake specific fuel consumption maps you can see why this might occur. In the case of a 6.7 liter diesel which makes peak torque at 1800 rpm you will definitely burn more fuel per mile if you downshift. The slight amount of power lost in transmitting power through the overdrive gears is negligible.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, always OD will create more heat in the trans. When the output spins faster than the input on the trans there is a lot of stress on the gear, and why it makes heat, OD towing is not recommended unless you are going downhill or have a decent tailwind. But, this really depends on the ability of your particular trans.
Not true. When I had the 7.3 with a 4 speed and 4th being OD it ran cooler in OD than it did in 3rd. I towed every where in 4th. In 4th at 2000 RPM = 68 mph 2000 RPM was the sweet spot in that truck. I have no idea what the sweet spot is on my 6.7, havent had it long enough to fig that out. The truck had 250,000 miles on it when I sold it and the trans had never been touched other than change the fluid. Yes the EGT will be lower at a higher RPM but even with the chip I had it never got hot. 4" exhaust cooled it off 200 deg
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Lower rpm is usually better mpg, but there are many variables in the ECU that can affect this.
If you drove a simple two cycle engine, then yes, lower equals less fuel, but on vehicles the computer changes fueling, timing, the vacuum changes, and the gears change.

In general overdrive is not an efficient gear, the gear right under it is usually the most efficient gear in the transmission, and usually translates to the most efficient at the pump (assuming speeds are appropriate for the selected gear).
In OD you cover more ground for the same engine rpm so you may get better mpg, but when towing you may not. Many variables.

In a manual transmission, in a 5 speed for ex, 5th is an OD gear, and 4th is what is referred to as a one to on or 1:1 gearing. For every one rotation of the engine the drives shaft rotates once. This literally means that the gears in the transmission are not even used, they are bypassed, not turning. The "input shaft" is locked directly to the "output shaft", so really there is no mechanical loss from the transmission. This is why it is the efficient gear (because it really is not a gear).

Similar gearing will happen in an auto trans.

The biggest factor still is how the engine fuels at different rpms and at different loads. You may find you get worse mpg at too slow of a speed and this is the engine fueling differently. 55 is typically the sweet spot, but it is worth a few bucks extra to go a little faster when you do the math.

Gear ratios for the Ford 6R140 1=3.974/2=2.318/3=1.516/4=1.149/5=0.858/6=0.674
I tow a 11,000 lb 5er at around 68 on the interstates and it runs in 6th gear. I will down shift to 5th to longer hills but doesnt on the short ones. So maybe I if lock out 6th I might get better millage??I wouldnt ever shift. Would running in a lower gear than the computer requires cause it to run hotter?
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Lower rpm is usually better mpg, but there are many variables in the ECU that can affect this.
If you drove a simple two cycle engine, then yes, lower equals less fuel, but on vehicles the computer changes fueling, timing, the vacuum changes, and the gears change.

In general overdrive is not an efficient gear, the gear right under it is usually the most efficient gear in the transmission, and usually translates to the most efficient at the pump (assuming speeds are appropriate for the selected gear).
In OD you cover more ground for the same engine rpm so you may get better mpg, but when towing you may not. Many variables.

In a manual transmission, in a 5 speed for ex, 5th is an OD gear, and 4th is what is referred to as a one to on or 1:1 gearing. For every one rotation of the engine the drives shaft rotates once. This literally means that the gears in the transmission are not even used, they are bypassed, not turning. The "input shaft" is locked directly to the "output shaft", so really there is no mechanical loss from the transmission. This is why it is the efficient gear (because it really is not a gear).

The biggest factor still is how the engine fuels at different rpms and at different loads. You may find you get worse mpg at too slow of a speed and this is the engine fueling differently. 55 is typically the sweet spot, but it is worth a few bucks extra to go a little faster when you do the math.

I tow a 11,000 lb 5er at around 68 on the interstates and it runs in 6th gear. I will down shift to 5th to longer hills but doesnt on the short ones. So maybe I if lock out 6th I might get better millage??I wouldnt ever shift. Would running in a lower gear than the computer requires cause it to run hotter?

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
Gear ratios for the Ford 6R140
1=3.974
2=2.318
3=1.516
4=1.149
5=0.858
6=0.674

Must be an automatic since there is no 1:1
Yes, always OD will create more heat in the trans. When the output spins faster than the input on the trans there is a lot of stress on the gear, and why it makes heat, OD towing is not recommended unless you are going downhill or have a decent tailwind. But, this really depends on the ability of your particular trans.
Looks like you have two overdrives, but 5th will heat up less than 6th in your case.
If there is a "tow mode" button, then just activate it and let the truck do the thinking most of the time.

Running a low gear at the same speed… On the engine your EGTs will be lower with faster rpm due to more air running through, or maybe it is that less fuel is needed with each cylinder. My EGTs drop a few 100 degrees when I downshift (mine is a turbo, and I am not familiar with non-turbo temps).
On the trans you might have lower trans temp when closer to the 1:1 gear ratio, this means that the gears are spinning less. On a manual, in the 1:1 gear, the gears are not spinning at all, so the heat will just come from the engine. In your case I suspect that 4th gear will generate the least amount of heat at a normal speed.
You should not have to worry about gearing and engine heat, a good radiator should handle the engine heat, but you do need to watch the trans temps. Get a good trans temp gauge and drive according to trans temps. Heat kills transmissions.

I don't want to go into explanations, better to research this on a transmission dedicated site that is specific to your vehicle. My goal is just to make you aware that there are things to watch for.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
A few years ago, I had to follow my father who only does 60 mph. It was annoying to drive that slow. After doing the math I saved less than $6 and arrived over half an hour later than I normally do.

23 minutes later assuming the entire trip was at 60mph.

Yeah, and my time is more valuable than money at the moment. I can make $6 in about 6 minutes. I can't make 23 minutes. It may differ when I retire, but then again I put a lot of money away so it may not. Besides, I have seen people spend more on "cheap insurance" by changing their oil way too soon (which I think is worthless) or others that spend way to much on things that I could care less about, but to each their own.

Another thing that is important is my sanity. Being from Texas where most highways are 75 mph, I don't think I can stand driving 60 mph for that long of time. Others like yourself may feel differently.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I tow 63 as well and find it to be not a problem with traffic, yes the ego types might have a problem. I even travel I70 & I68 in MD quite often where the crazy drivers believe in drive left, pass right. My fuel, my equipment, my safety, so my choice.

It is amazing how many people take the speed limit as a challenge instead of an actual limit. Of coarse we did have the case a few years ago where a person was charged with obstructing traffic for not going far enough over the limit and had to pay the fines.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I tow 63 as well and find it to be not a problem with traffic, yes the ego types might have a problem. I even travel I70 & I68 in MD quite often where the crazy drivers believe in drive left, pass right. My fuel, my equipment, my safety, so my choice.

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Another observation on mileage. We just returned from a trip towing from San Antonio, TX, to Colorado Springs. The entire trip north I got 10.5 to 11.2 mpg towing my 7800lb TT with my F-150. Needless to say, I was very happy camper, thinking that the more I "broke-in" my truck I was getting better gas mileage. However, I was brought back to reality on our return trip home when I was getting 6.4 to 8.5 mpg. Seems that having a strong tailwind vs. driving into the wind does make a huge difference. BTW, my sweet spot towing is 63mph. I was amazed at how many TTs and 5th wheels passed me doing well over 70mph. I pretty sure most had speed rated trailer tires. Wonder if speed had anything to do with the "more that several" RV pulled over for flats?
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
A few years ago, I had to follow my father who only does 60 mph. It was annoying to drive that slow. After doing the math I saved less than $6 and arrived over half an hour later than I normally do.

I don't doubt your math but it probably felt like an hour ...
Sorry 60 on the interstate when other traffic is doing 70-75 is too slow.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
It takes a certain amount of horsepower to pull a trailer down the highway at 65 mph. In the case of the op it might be around 95 hp. When the engine is making 95 hp and running say 4000 rpm the torque it is generating is: torque = 5252 x 95/4000 = 125 lbft of torque. If the op gears up such that the engine is running 2000 rpm the required engine output is still only 95 hp but now the torque level is 250 lbft. With the engine running at 2000 rpm there is less energy lost at 2000 rpm but more significant is the fact that the higher torque means higher cylinder pressure and more efficient burning. Slowing the engine down for the same hp requirement always causes higher cylinder pressure.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Thirty minutes is cutting into my valuable beer drinking and relaxing time.

I won't tow 74 MPH for a beer.

I would!
Desperate times call for desperate measures man!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold