Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 28 Foot / Chevy Chassis, Looking to upgrade suspension...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 28 Foot / Chevy Chassis, Looking to upgrade suspension...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a fan a sumo springs. They are a great supplement for supporting a cargo load.

They are not however, a fix for sagging or overloaded leaf springs. If might not hurt to weight your coach first, to get a baseline. If you are at or over GAWR, you might need to add a leaf first. They probably won't do anything for getting blown around (sway bar and shocks help more with this), but they can improve the loaded ride of you coach.

And it's a good idea to weight anyways, to make sure you aren't overloaded on the rear tires. "28 foot" models tend to ride on short wheelbases compared to their overall length, so diligent loading can be really important.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

ron.dittmer,

Thanks for taking the time to document your experience with shocks.
You are very welcome!

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

LostInOz

Pittsburg, KS

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, what a great great discussion. This forum rocks!

I've decided to start with some new shocks and ask the mechanic to take a look at the bushings and tighten the sway bars.

Thanks everyone!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This looks like you are on the right track,I think that the shocks and the other things you mentioned is the way to go. I know it really helped make mine handle better.

One thing you mentioned was sway from trucks. Although the handling was greatly improved I still had some push from trucks and cross winds.

As pianotuna mentioned the addition of Air Tabs

I added them to my RV and it did away with most of the push from trucks but push from cross winds was almost all gone.

* This post was last edited 10/30/19 03:10pm by IAMICHABOD *   View edit history

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/19 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put air tabs on my Super C. Helped a lot like others have mentioned. Never did see a fuel mileage improvements.
I found a super deal on them on EBAY. Had enough left over to put a line of them on bottom of cab over. Stopped a lot of cab wind noise and kept windshield cleaner from bugs. Got idea for cab over from truck camper forum. They get a lot of air/wind trapped behind rear cab window and camper.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Experiment by changing air pressure on the front tires. Just because the tire says 80 PSI doesn't mean you have to run them at max. Some people run at 65 or 70 PSI offering more rubber on the ground as well as a softer ride.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I heard from the spring shop yesterday. I had one broken leaf. They have built new springs adding a leaf to each side and the ride height went up 2.5 inches.

The air bag brackets had torn from the frame (they were welded instead of being bolted), and the bags were incorrectly installed. There needs to be 7 inches of clearance--and there was only 5. So when ever I used the air bags they were attempting to carry the entire spring load. I'm not replacing them at this time--as the shop can not find an appropriately sized air bag. Nor do I probably need them with the extra 2.5 inches.

I did decide to have the shocks replaced, even though the OEM ones were apparently still ok. The shop suggested Munroe as a brand. I feel comfortable with their recommendation.

I've asked them to look at some timbrens--and will take their advice as to whether to do this or not.

I'm expecting a dramatic improvement in the ride.

* This post was edited 10/31/19 10:21am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 28 Foot / Chevy Chassis, Looking to upgrade suspension...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS