Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HITCHGRIP Carrying Tool

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
www.hitchgrip.com
click
Has anyone used one of these and if so what are your impressions. I have the Reese Steadi Flex WD Hitch and the head is 51lbs and hard on the back. Looking for solutions for moving the Reese around. Thanks Ed
16 REPLIES 16

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
My Reese hitch is 51 lbs. works great for my application.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
My EQUALIZER 14K is very heavy. Probably over 100#.
I would never attempt to carry it with one hand. That much weight hanging off of one arm would throw my back out for sure.

I found a simpler cheaper more effective way than this tool.

First to remove the hitch:

I got a 5/8" round steel bar about a foot long. I insert this into one of the unused adjusting holes on the drawbar centering it.
Then I straddle the drawbar with my back to the tailgate. I grab each exposed end of the barstock and ease the hitch out of the reciever.
Then I walk slightly spread legged carrying the hitch with both hands and the weight perfectly centered beneath my spine. It probably looks a little goofy, but it really works.

Installing the hitch is a reverse of the procedure... I back in into the reciever. It really is pretty easy.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!!!!

Just received my tool and love it. Much easier on my back.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
frankgibbons1947 wrote:
I tow a 37' Mesa Ridge BHS310, I cannot imagine pulling it without the Hitch Grip. I firmly believe the hitch saved my family from a major accident on our last trip. it did what it was supposed to in an emergency maneuver and we were able to maintain control. It earned a restoration and now looks good as new.

Uhhh, the Hitch Grip is a tool for carrying your trailer hitch head from the tow vehicle to the garage to store it for the winter. It attaches to neither the trailer nor the tow vehicle.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 37' Mesa Ridge BHS310, I cannot imagine pulling it without the Hitch Grip. I firmly believe the hitch saved my family from a major accident on our last trip. it did what it was supposed to in an emergency maneuver and we were able to maintain control. It earned a restoration and now looks good as new.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Really like mine when it comes to carrying around my Equilizer head. The tool makes it balance much easier and I can carry it with one hand, not two...and I don't have to touch the greasy ball head. The tool is made of nylon/plastic with steel jaws at the opening...it probably weights 1.5 lbs.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I store my hitch with the ball in the trailer coupler, so the Hitchgrip won't work for that. I made a carry tool that grips the shank behind the ball and that allows me to insert the shank in the receiver or the ball in the coupler. Carrying that short distance is easy with the arm straight down. With the ball locked in the coupler it stays cleaner and adds security to both the hitch and the trailer.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Based on all the comments, I just ordered one. Thanks for the great comments. Ed

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had mine for 3 yrs and would highly recommend it for anyone with a HEAVY WDH. The handle provides a nice grip and balance point that allows me to install/remove my 50# WDH with ONE HAND. I don't have to bend over as far to use two hands under the hitch so it's much easier on my back. The handle itself is not heavy (less than 1#) - it's strong, heavy duty glass-filled plastic.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have it and like it. It isn't perfect but it does make carrying the hitch head around much easier.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have been using one for two years. If I lost it today, I would have another on order tonight.

It keeps grease off of me. It lets me carry the hitch, easily, at the balance point. While it doesn't make the hitch lighter, it makes it easier to manipulate.

Same here - it makes the hitch so much easier to tote around. I'm 65, and anything that makes it easier to tote that heavy hitch head around is well worth the money.
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The tool would add weight, so I advocate gloves without a tool.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using one for two years. If I lost it today, I would have another on order tonight.

It keeps grease off of me. It lets me carry the hitch, easily, at the balance point. While it doesn't make the hitch lighter, it makes it easier to manipulate.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB