cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Storage

Knewsham
Explorer
Explorer
1st timer here. I parked in the yard on plywood; covered the wheels; emptied all tanks,new cover arrives tomorrow, all food removed and it's on household current shore cord. My question is this: Can I keep a small infrared heater running to keep it from freezing up and not putting RV antifreeze in the system? I intend to do some inside work this winter (Michigan) and run the genset weekly and move it 1/2 wheel rotation monthly. Suggestions are welcome.
19 REPLIES 19

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with blow the lines and put rv antifreeze in appropriate places.

That said, if you want to heat, you need to do so under the rv after skirting it. If its a well insulated skirt job, you can prob heat it enough to keep the lower pipes from freezing with a incandescent light bulb. But I live in the South so what do I know about Michigan winters.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
We don't winterize our four season trailer in coastal PNW. We do run the furnace if it's going to get below freezing.but we have 30 amp power and a large propane tank hooked up so we can go all winter.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Another Michigan here, and I am surprised that nobody else has said this.

What will happen if the power goes out for a day or two?

Yes, do a very complete winterize and be sure about the flush water valve in the toilet. They freeze easily and both a pain and expensive to replace.

Matt - next to DTW
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
You might get away with that in Alabama, or coastal Carolinas, but in Michigan.....No way..... please winterize.....it's not hard and you'll save yourself a boatload of trouble!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
im just across the ditch in Windsor. winterize. Mine is done, picking her up this weekend to head to storage.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I even blow out the drains. No AF at all.

Me too! But I do put AF in the toilet and sink drains.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Post will be moved or closed.
Whhhy?
It was moved to here from FPS, the good old catch-all of the forum. Apparently the mod didn't make and post to that effect.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:
Post will be moved or closed.

Whhhy?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't risk it.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winterize!! I winterized and kept a small heater running to keep the RV at about 40 degrees. Most winter days, the average temp is not much below freezing so a small heater only needs to run occasionally. At least that was the intention. The power cord was knocked loose during the coldest few days of the winter. We had a couple of large banana squashes stored in the camper. They froze solid.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Michigan and always blow out the lines and use antifreeze for RV's

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I even blow out the drains. No AF at all.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Your pipes and water heater need to be totally drained and anti freeze poured down the sink and shower traps. I blow compressed air through the system with both low point drain plugs removed. Takes me about 12 minutes. Also drain the fresh water tank. In my opinion anti freeze is not needed. Your heater would only heat interior. Not where pipes probley are. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman