cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pig tail propane tank connector hoses.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Walked by my trailer today and smelled propane. Checked and found both pig tail hoses from my propane tanks on the hitch were leaking. Both were leaking at the connections where the hoses thread into the regulator. At a swivel joint near the threaded connector but not the threads. One was leaking at both ends, there and also the swivel end near the tank end connector.
These were both replaced two years ago for the same problem.
My question: Does anyone make a brand that does not do this in a year or two?
These are the hoses with the large green hand tight ends at the tank.

Buy the way--found the problem by squirting soapy water on the connections.
17 REPLIES 17

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
They leak at the crimp joint where it transitions to the threads. Some designs are better than others, but if they seem to swivel easily, they will be leakers right out of the box.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Only pipe threads should have tape or dope. No tape on inverted flare, o-ring or other compression seal.

+1. !
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only pipe threads should have tape or dope. No tape on inverted flare, o-ring or other compression seal.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
PaulJ2 wrote:
...Both were leaking at the connections where the hoses thread into the regulator...

You may want to try a PTFE thread seal tape specifically formulated for propane something like THIS.

They were leaking at a swivel joint near the threads but not at the threads themselves. The new ones were wrapped with the yellow tape on the threads when he handed them to me. So he did everything right i guess.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
PaulJ2 wrote:
...Both were leaking at the connections where the hoses thread into the regulator...

You may want to try a PTFE thread seal tape specifically formulated for propane something like THIS.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Take your old ones to your local Propane DEALER with a service department, and have them make you replacements. I have found that the hose they use is higher quality hose that remains flexible with age. The store bought ones seem to get stiff within a year. Cost is about the same as store bought.

Bingo!! I found a local dealer here in town that made up a new set while i waited.
Much better, no swivel joints at all. $10 per hose.

Thanks all.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
smarty wrote:
Does anyone make these with a metal twist on connector versus plastic?
I have had issues with these plastic fittings when the temps are very cold, even to the point where one cracked in half
I think the plastic is designed to melt and disconnect during a fire. The internal valve on the cylinder would then shut off the flow of propane.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
smarty wrote:
I have had issues with these plastic fittings when the temps are very cold, even to the point where one cracked in half
I think the plastic is designed to melt and disconnect during a fire. The internal valve on the cylinder would then shut off the flow of propane.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I've gotten 8 years out of my replacements and still going.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

smarty
Explorer
Explorer

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
PaulJ2 wrote:
Walked by my trailer today and smelled propane. Checked and found both pig tail hoses from my propane tanks on the hitch were leaking. Both were leaking at the connections where the hoses thread into the regulator. At a swivel joint near the threaded connector but not the threads. One was leaking at both ends, there and also the swivel end near the tank end connector.
These were both replaced two years ago for the same problem.
My question: Does anyone make a brand that does not do this in a year or two?
These are the hoses with the large green hand tight ends at the tank.

Buy the way--found the problem by squirting soapy water on the connections.

I recently replaced my original regulator (less than 2 years old, another story), and found both hose connectors leaked when the original hoses were flexed. Between the hose fittings.

I ordered these. No leaks. For now ๐Ÿ˜‰

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FC7K7R7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep a spray bottle of soapy water on the shelf, too.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Take your old ones to your local Propane DEALER with a service department, and have them make you replacements. I have found that the hose they use is higher quality hose that remains flexible with age. The store bought ones seem to get stiff within a year. Cost is about the same as store bought.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I replaced mine with a braided style hose.

They are like the ones shown in this video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator